DVD course on meteorology

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I usually tell my friends that one of the hardest parts about learning to fly is trying to become an amateur meteorologist. Before beginning training, I didn't really have much interest in learning this subject, but out of necessity, I have grown to like it and develop a genuine interest in learning it.

To the point: I received a few years ago, as a Christmas gift, a DVD set called The Joy of Mathematics (I am an engineer, and love math and physics) which I really enjoyed. Since then, I occasionally get a catalog in the mail advertising all their other courses. In this one, they have a new one on meteorology that I think I will buy.

Here is a link http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=1796

If you plan on buying, use the code 42739 and it will knock $10 off. It's 24 lectures, and I assume they are 30 minutes each since thats what the last one I bought was. Not bad for $70, I think. Also, this promo is apparently over on May 6.

I am in no way employed, or otherwise compensated by this company, I just thought this would be a good subject for me to be more knowledgeable about as an aspiring pilot.

Also, a list of the topics:

1. Nature Abhors Extremes
2. Temperature, Pressure, and Density
3. Atmosphere—Composition and Origin
4. Radiation and the Greenhouse Effect
5. Sphericity, Conduction, and Convection
6. Sea Breezes and Santa Anas
7. An Introduction to Atmospheric Moisture
8. Bringing Air to Saturation
9. Clouds, Stability, and Buoyancy, Part 1
10. Clouds, Stability, and Buoyancy, Part 2
11. Whence and Whither the Wind, Part 1
12. Whence and Whither the Wind, Part 2
13. The Global Atmospheric Circulation
14. Fronts and Extratropical Cyclones
15. Middle Troposphere—Troughs and Ridges
16. Wind Shear—Horizontal and Vertical
17. Mountain Influences on the Atmosphere
18. Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, and Radar
19. Supercells, Tornadoes, and Dry Lines
20. Ocean Influences on Weather and Climate
21. Tropical Cyclones
22. Light and Lightning
23. Prediction and Predictability
24. The Imperfect Forecast

Does anyone have any reviews they can offer? I am very interested... I also noticed the price was knocked way down too. I have two passions for knowledge as far things I will go out of my way to study (I can't get enough of anything aviation related... but will spend 2 hrs a night studying these) that is Instrument Procedures and Aviation Weather. I am saving to get Scott's DVD's... especially his Skew T chart explanation and his Ice is not Nice DVD's. This would be a great addition to Scott's DVD's as these are fairly short in time... giving time to still view them when I am in a time limited situation.

Bob

Sounds interesting! I'm definitely interested in any PIREP Scott D has of this, too.

Back