Dutch Roll Trouble HELP

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
My instructor and I are currently working on doing the dutch roll maneuver in a Cessna 152. I am having very much trouble in doing this, I always get the ailerons or rudder wrong in some way can you help?!:fcross:

My instructor and I are currently working on doing the dutch roll maneuver in a Cessna 152. I am having very much trouble in doing this, I always get the ailerons or rudder wrong in some way can you help?!:fcross:

Why are you learning to do "Dutch Roll maneuver" as opposed to having dutch roll demonstrated to you (which will take about 30 seconds)?

(A 152 has built in stability to dampen dutch roll, unlike other airfoils in faster airplanes).

Why are you learning to do "Dutch Roll maneuver" as opposed to having dutch roll demonstrated to you (which will take about 30 seconds)?

(A 152 has built in stability to dampen dutch roll, unlike other airfoils in faster airplanes).

It was demonstrated I have trouble re-creating it.

It was demonstrated I have trouble re-creating it.

You will have trouble in a 150/152 series due to the inherent stability -- it wants to fly straight.

Dutch roll is usually an issue in some aircraft with weak directional stability or airplanes with swept wings.

Some people call a manuever of rolling (banking) from one side to the other while maintaining rudder coordination "dutch roll manuever," but it would be better termed "coordination practice."

Any suggestions for "coordination practice"?

First, this exercise can be very tough until you've mastered the sense of how much pressure to apply to the rudder for complementary bank (yoke turning, thus banking).

Do some 30 and then later 45 degree roll to a heading, get the feel for the rudder required, and then fine tune your coordination.

Though, if your CFI has you working these, there's a reason -- ask him/her why and how to get the particular maneuver down.

Last edited:

Go up with a CFI and work on cross-controlled scenarios (slips, etc). Even making low approaches while adjusting rudder and aileron is a good way to learn the effectiveness of various controls at different airspeeds.

Start slow, with gentle banks, and work your way up rolling faster and farther each way. Keep your eyes outside (similar to the thread you started on landings -- those PC flight games are negative training for this sort of thing), focusing on a point on the horizon as a reference to keep the nose from yawing, and use your feet to keep the nose pointed there.

There's no secret or shortcut to greatness with this simple exercise... just takes practice. Eyes outside, gently bank back and forth, use your feet to keep the nose from swinging back and forth. That's it.

We do it a lot in glider training to work on rolling into and out of turns. Sometimes called "rolling on a point". Find a point on the horizon ahead and keep the nose pointed there with your feet while rolling left and right. One common error is holding the bank too long before rolling back the other way. Start with shallow banks and reverse them quickly. Work up to greater bank angles. Left right left right, use your feet, keep that nose pointed at the highway, thats the ticket...

Once it becomes ingrained all your flying will improve. It's a basic foundation skill that really should be mastered early. In glider training some people get all the way past their PPL checkrides without getting this down. But, they never soar well (thermalling requires a LOT of precise turns) and often struggle with landings. We'll do multiple flights with nothing but demo and performance of "dutch rolls" and 90 and 180 reversals untill they start getting the habit down.

Thanks Matt and everyone I cant wait to now re-attempt it again

Back