Dusting off the dust

ifconfig

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ifconfig
“I felt led to share.”

Ahem.

If a baby was born on the last day I flew an aircraft, that ‘baby’ would be graduating High School this year.

So I decided to climb back into the cozy confines of an old Cherokee 180 (1964? No toe brakes, trim on the ceiling) and was pleasantly surprised to find that I still knew the whys and wherefores. I mean, I seriously tried to kill the FI once only, on the first landing. The second landing was much better and he stopped his shaking like a dog urinating marbles impersonation.

I will confess to feeling a bit apprehensive the moment my derriere touched the seat's soft cushion, “What am I doing here? What if I freak out?” :rolleyes2:
That all came to naught, I was up there and throwing the aircraft skilfully and gently about the firmament. I hope to be back full-time in the coming months as I work to jettison the side external lard tanks I've been carrying for the past few years.

It felt GREAT. GREAT!

Doc,

He's only slightly worse for wear. He's a buffoon though, he agreed to go up with me again. :)

When I came back after 23 years,I started in a 1964 Cherokee 140. Which was great for my recall ,as I got my original cert in the 140, was also the cheapest to rent aircraft in the fleet. Was very comfortable with the overhead trim and handbrake. Welcome back and have fun.

I always liked the old trim on the roof.

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate it.

Welcome back. It was a 31+ year absence for me. Almost 100 hours logged since January 5, 2013.

26 years - was my longest absence.
2 days - my most recent absence.

much happier now (who says we need to have money to be happy).

If a baby was born on the last day I flew an aircraft, that ‘baby’ would be graduating High School this year.

I thought it was 15 years for me but after looking at my log book we realized it was 18. I went on my first flight since 1995 last Friday. Most of my time is in Cessnas but I flew a Warrior. It was interesting. After my first touchdown the Instructor said, "I didn't touch anything." :) I'm actually excited about getting back into flying.

I'm going to get my Instrument Rating and fly some high performance stuff. Like Ricky Bobby says, "I wanna go fast!"

Good luck and have some fun !!

Last edited:
I just realized something.....It's an old farts reunion. LOL :goofy: I feel right at home. :thumbsup:

Wow guys, this is wonderful. 31+ years! There's something about that flying bug that just refuses to let go, aye, what? :yes:

Back