Dump e-mails from certain address into personal folder in Outlook

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I'm currently running Outlook 2003 (Don't tell me to switch to another program please :D).

I have an googlegroup e-mail list that I get a lot of e-mail from and I'd like to have any messages from that address automatically moved to a different personal folder inside Outlook. Can this be done? If so, how?

Thanks for any help,
Jason

Yes, it can be done.

Open the message and go to the Actions... menu. Select Create Rule and follow the wizard.

Switch to Thunderbird...really :redface:

Another way in Outlook, go to "Tools">"Rules and Alerts." In the "New Rules" box click the button for "new rule". Choose "move messages from someone to a folder." Depending on if the emails are coming from multiple addresses or one address, choose how you want to identify which emails you want moved, and continue to follow the wizard. As you move through the wizard, in the lower "Rule description" window you will find different elements of the rule underlined...you will need to click on each of these to identify specifics in your case - eg the address on the email, the folder you want to move them to, etc. Make sure at the end to check the box to turn the rule on!

Good luck, it isn't really that hard.

alaskaflyer said:
Another way in Outlook, go to "Tools">"Rules and Alerts." In the "New Rules" box...
While that works well, the Actions off the message window automatically fills in a bunch of stuff for you, including the subject or From: field. Faster.

Brian Austin said:
While that works well, the Actions off the message window automatically fills in a bunch of stuff for you, including the subject or From: field. Faster.

Nice. Unfortunately I can't use Thunderbird myself because my smartphone software will only synch with Outlook :rofl:

I look forward to moving onto a new phone in a few months. Down with Microsoft!

Last edited:
Another quick question about this. Whenever an e-mail arrives (and correctly moves itself to the right folder) I don't get a desktop alert anymore. Is there a way to still see the desktop alert for mesages that go into that folder?

Maybe because I had Outlook open I didn't get the desktop alert. I'll have to test it later.

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Another quick question about this. Whenever an e-mail arrives (and correctly moves itself to the right folder) I don't get a desktop alert anymore. Is there a way to still see the desktop alert for mesages that go into that folder?

Maybe because I had Outlook open I didn't get the desktop alert. I'll have to test it later.

Jason

Sure - one of the options available for new rules is to display a "new item alert window" (the desktop alert) when a new message arrives...so use the same process to make a new rule to display a new item alert when email arrives in that folder.

Neat, huh?

alaskaflyer said:
Down with Microsoft!
Ya know, everyone says that and, once upon a time, I did as well. Overall, though, they've got decent quality products out today that are stable, almost world standard, and relatively low cost.

Yes, I've got Linux running, too. But for all the configuration and researching I had to do to get the software up and running, I could have been done in 1/4 of the time running MS2003 Server and IIS 6.x with a $50 firewall in front of it. Not to mention drivers and hardware issues.

I've got XP Pro workstations talking to MS servers running IIS, ASP, SQL, Exchange, etc.. I've got PDAs and PDA phones getting e-mail via wireless and cellular. I've got VPN clients with executives traveling all over the country with no issues connecting from just about anywhere (including Starbucks). I have users accessing our network from home, work, on the road, even in the air (I don't want to know how much that one cost). All of them connect seamlessly in a secure environment and can do their job without trying to figure out what they have access to and what doesn't work from where they are at.

And all of it is Microsoft. And until tomorrow, all of it is run by just me. New tech starts tomorrow so he can take some day-to-day stuff and I can concentrate on more 'stuff'. :D

alaskaflyer said:
Nice. Unfortunately I can't use Thunderbird myself because my smartphone software will only synch with Outlook :rofl:

I look forward to moving onto a new phone in a few months. Down with Microsoft!

Uh, maybe... I found a pipe for sync'ing my Palm Treo 650 with Thunderbird ... works fine. Which smartphone?

gkainz said:
Uh, maybe... I found a pipe for sync'ing my Palm Treo 650 with Thunderbird ... works fine. Which smartphone?

Nokia 6822, via bluetooth

You can synchronise a compatible Nokia phone with the following PC PIM applications:
Microsoft Outlook 98/2000/2002/2003
Microsoft Outlook Express (Windows Address Book)
Lotus Notes 5.0/6.x
Lotus Organizer 5.0/6.0

It will be the default (it will select itself even if you don't) if you are using it as a typical home user - if you aren't running it on an Exchange server.

If you were using Outlook at work for example, and were running it on an Exchange server where you could go to any computer and check your IMAP mail, it would matter.

Back