Dumbest thing you have done and lived to tell about it

I bought a slide scanner about a month ago and have been looking at pictures I took years ago. I came upon this one of my friend I mentioned above, some guy I don't remember (maybe someone she was dating at the time) and the Grumman Tiger I rented to fly us up to Cheyenne, WY. I think it's Cheyenne anyway. Weirdly, even looking at this picture I can't remember the flight although it's logged in my logbook. :redface:

Picture is from 1980.

PICT0068.jpg

You look tall.

On the original topic, a girlfriend once asked me:
"Do these pants make me look fat?"

I replied "Kinda".

Edit: I'm glad I learned this particular lesson before marriage. With the girlfreind I had my own home to stay in during the storm that followed.

It could have been. You might had said " They show off your fat"

When did you realize they were down? What happened? Did you get to do the other two landings?

Well, for some reason I couldn't put the nose up very much cuz my airspeed was really low, but I needed to climb...looked around, saw the flaps were all the way deployed...

Put them up slowly, and continued as normal.

Well, for some reason I couldn't put the nose up very much cuz my airspeed was really low, but I needed to climb...looked around, saw the flaps were all the way deployed...

Put them up slowly, and continued as normal.

Slow is good, instead of all at once. Oh and after my first solo some woman drove all the way down from the hangars on the other side of the runway to comment on my landings (I have no idea who she is or why she was watching me). She started off with "too bad about those winds" and scared my instructor (who didn't watch my solo). Then I told her it was my first solo and she changed her tune to "oh you did really good."

It could have been. You might had said " They show off your fat"

I don't recommend this procedure for the general population, but...

Just before my first marriage dissolved (and no it wasn't because of this) my wife asked me while trying on a dress if it made her look fat - and I replied "No, it's not the dress that makes you look fat."

There wasn't much to be gained at that point be being nice, so I decided to be honest.

It was worth it!! :D:rofl:

Slow is good, instead of all at once. Oh and after my first solo some woman drove all the way down from the hangars on the other side of the runway to comment on my landings (I have no idea who she is or why she was watching me). She started off with "too bad about those winds" and scared my instructor (who didn't watch my solo). Then I told her it was my first solo and she changed her tune to "oh you did really good."

And why wasn't he watching?

And why wasn't he watching?

He goes home or does something else (in my case, he went inside the hangar where he couldn't see the runway). He told me long before my solo he wouldn't cut my shirt, or watch, or listen on the radio, or whatever. It was his way of showing that when he signs your book he feels confident that you can fly on your own - in the literal sense.

Just before my first marriage dissolved (and no it wasn't because of this) my wife asked me while trying on a dress if it made her look fat - and I replied "No, it's not the dress that makes you look fat."

And then the fight started... :D

I've ALMOST done that!

Never did that one, thank God:D
BUT... During a solo flight in early training, I was practicing touch & go's and forgot to raise the flaps before the GO:confused:
Took off and the nose shot up like a bat out of hell! Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately, I remembered what my CFI taught me as I pushed the nose down and gradually took out flaps, one notch at a time. Hate to think of what would have happened if I had panicked and raised them all at once :yikes:

BUT... During a solo flight in early training, I was practicing touch & go's and forgot to raise the flaps before the GO:confused:
Took off and the nose shot up like a bat out of hell! Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately, I remembered what my CFI taught me as I pushed the nose down and gradually took out flaps, one notch at a time. Hate to think of what would have happened if I had panicked and raised them all at once :yikes:

I have done that one... I was pretty embarrased that I forgot they were down. That was definitely not the ideal "go". When I realized they were still down, I did pull it out all at once..... Luckily for me, I was already plenty high with plenty of speed and no obstacles. So, definitely NOTHING spectacular happened, but I had alot of self reflection after that thinking WTF was I thinking.

Before I was a PPL I flew untra lights, no license required. The planes kept getting bigger and faster and I kept trading up until I was flying a TL Sting 2000. Flying back from SnF I took off from a small airport in Mississippi into bad weather. Clouds closed in so I climbed through them and popped out at 10,500. :eek:

On the way up I burned out the electric prop so while concentrating on the AH I had the nice smell of smoke permeate through the cockpit. :eek:

On top I decided to start heading to where I could see the ground I flew for 1.5 hours and had to climb to 12,500 to remain clear of clouds. No joy and as far ahead as the radio could reach checking weather.... no clearing clouds. :eek:

I decided to contact someone and explain the situation and ended up at an FAA Center freq with a controller than had a tough time believing me until he found me using the transponder. The plane was registered as an Australian UL so it took him a while to figure it out. He called it "Inadvertent IFR" , I'm sure there are other names for it. :rolleyes:

I did not have enough fuel to make clear skies so he vectored me to an area with the highest ceilings and started my decent from 13,500 msl. All the while I was talking to the controller and he kept me updated on thunderstorms and icing pireps. I did pick up ice but kept a 600' rate of decent until I broke through at 2,000 agl.

Thanking the controller I turned the transponder and radio off and headed north until I found a quiet airport to refuel and call it a day. :idea:

It was at that point I decided to get my PPL and learn to fly by the rules. ;)

Yes, I was dumb, yes, I was lucky, but managed the situation as best I could. What training I did have at the time taught me the "Four Cs" when you are in deep. Communicate, Confess, Conserve, Comply.

Last edited:
^^ Geico, that is an awesome story. I can't imagine how you must have felt.

To toss my own stupid solo flights stories:

• About 40' off the ground over a hanger fixated on my frustration that I blew my approach so badly and vaguely wondering what that stupid noise was. It was the stall warning horn. I'm not sure how close my ass was to the top of that hanger, but I managed to go around.
  • Reaching over to undeploy the flaps at 600' AGL on climbout I accidentally moved the switch the wrong way. Of course my nose pitched straight up while I was yelling at the top of my lungs. Actually took me 1.5 seconds to figure out what I did. In retrospect it wasn't that dangerous but it was scary as hell.

Yes Geico, that is a scary one and in an Ultralight to boot! Jeez!

Glad you made it!

I don't know if this is the DUMBEST thing I've ever done in an airplane but it is my most memorable...

After attending a Chile cook-off for most of a day my passenger and I saddled up and took off for our home drome in the near freezing temps. About half an hour into the flight my increasing intestinal pressure caused a release of...well...gas. Owing to my great headsets and the general lack of noise deadening insulation in my plane my sin went un noticed for a (short) time. After a bit my buddy turned to me said just on word: "DAMN". :yikes:
Not to be outdone a contest of sorts began with the corresponding rise in aroma in the cabin.
What can I say; we're guys.:nono:

When the joke had run it's course and we realized it was getting hard to breath we decided to vent the cabin. Popping open the vents into the freezing 160mph slipstream lasted all of 5 seconds. Now we had a decision to make; keep the vents closed and live with our folly until we got home or pop the vents open and breath clean air 'till we froze to death.

My training kicked in: Aviate , Navigate and Communicate. Right.
The airplane was flying just fine (stinky but fine). Aviate. Check
2 GPS's on board, a highway and a river to follow. Navigate. Check
Decided not to tell Polk anything. How to describe the problem eluded me. Communicate. Deferred.

We survived wiser for our adventure.

Chile was good though.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm sure I've done others, but here are the two most embarrassing:

1. Early in training I forced a Piper 140 to land when she really wasn't ready (too Fast). I Landed about halfway down a 2200' runway that had a wonderful, landing-gear-eating ditch at the departure end. Brakes were probably smoking, but I did get it stopped. But I was so close to going off the end that I couldn't see the end of the runway over the nose, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to turn without my right main going off the end. I slowly made the turn, had to back-taxi the runway about 100' to get to the taxiway.

2. Not too long after my PPL, I was entering the pattern, "Cross-Wind-Mid-Field" when suddenly a Glider cut me off (SCARY CLOSE). Instead of taking evasive action, I slammed the left rudder pedal with my right foot... There's suppose to be a break pedal there, isn't there? Oh wait that's in the car.:loco:

Early in training I forced a Piper 140 to land when she really wasn't ready (too Fast). I Landed about halfway down a 2200' runway that had a wonderful, landing-gear-eating ditch at the departure end.

I did that, except it wasn't a ditch at the far end of the runway. It was a freeway just below it. I guess I stopped with a little more clearance than you did, but it was still stupid. It is OK TO GO AROUND ;)

I can't imagine what I'd think if I were driving on I-77 and I saw an airplane falling on the car in front of me off of the embankment.

Yes Geico, that is a scary one and in an Ultralight to boot! Jeez!

Glad you made it!

I'm glad I made it too. Thanks! :rofl:

Learned alot that day.....

1. ATC are your friends.
2. Money can far exceed the experience you need to survive stupidity.
3. I learned about "Go & No Go'" decision making skills. ;)

I'm glad I made it too. Thanks! :rofl:

Learned alot that day.....

1. ATC are your friends.
2. Money can far exceed the experience you need to survive stupidity.
3. I learned about "Go & No Go'" decision making skills. ;)

Were you experiencing any altitude related issues too? That seems high if you are used to sea level. Not sure if you had oxygen but doubt you were planning to fly that high. In an ultra light there must have been lots of turbulence too.

Were you experiencing any altitude related issues too? That seems high if you are used to sea level. Not sure if you had oxygen but doubt you were planning to fly that high. In an ultra light there must have been lots of turbulence too.

I'd doubt it.. I live at sea level and have spent time up there no problems..

I used to teach aerobatics in a Great Lakes biplane. After helping my student get in the front cockpit, don the parachute and the 5 point harness, I lumber into the back cockpit and methodically repeat the procedure...then realize - after the parachute chest and crotch straps, after the 5 point harness and the last-chance seat belt over the whole mess of other straps...Ah S%#t, the airplane key is in my pocket!

I don't know if this is the DUMBEST thing i've ever done in an airplane but it is my most memorable...
We survived wiser for our adventure.

Chile was good though.

Chris

Try a Skyline 5-way and a cheese coney. The outcome could be much, much worse. :yikes::yikes::hairraise::hairraise:

Hrm. I don't remember my AME asking me about IBS, but with this on the menu, I think there might be some safety concerns.

When I lived in Cincy, a colleague (not from there) made the mistake of eating a 5-way and 2 cheese coneys before boarding a commercial flight. By the time they got to Atlanta he was afraid they were going to call security on him for explosively detonating in the lav.... :eek::D:D

Pulled the mixture instead of the carb heat :eek:

What an idiot!! :rofl:

... oh, wait, I mean... ummmm...:redface:

I've ALMOST done that!

RPM's drop when you pull either one ....................:hairraise:

I can't even count how many times students have pulled the mixture on me..well yes I can, four. Its not thay big of a deal the engine just gets really rough and I reach over mash it full rich with a quick also of my left hand. As long as you react within about 5 seconds you will catch it before the engine actually cuts out. (Think about how long it takes when you pull the mixtures to shut down, the engineers must have designed that in... Kinda like how ground effect is 'gods gift' to pilots...) One of my early solo cross countries I was leaning the mixture and ATC called out traffic.. I started looking for the traffic while twisting the vernier on the mixture. Guess how that ended? I saw the prop and then crammed it back in. :eek:

<---<^>--->

Overnighter in my Warrior away from home. Next day, do my walk-around and tell myself to remember to remove the orange cone placed under my prop by the FBO. Get in, pre-start checklist complete. Start engine. Whomp! Decapitated cone no longer a factor. Fortunately no prop damage.

Overnighter in my Warrior away from home. Next day, do my walk-around and tell myself to remember to remove the orange cone placed under my prop by the FBO. Get in, pre-start checklist complete. Start engine. Whomp! Decapitated cone no longer a factor. Fortunately no prop damage.

Heh heh heh.... that brings back some smiles. I watched a student once do a pretty decent preflight on a skyhawk with cowl plugs (complete with the orange "remove before flight" ribbon between the plugs hanging around the prop), he removed the cowl plugs, looked inside the inlets with a flashlight to check everything, and dutifully replaced the cowl plugs. After finishing the rest of the preflight, you guessed it, he got in, cranked up and promptly slung the cowl plugs off the prop via the attaching ribbon, about 20 feet in the air. Instructor sitting in the right seat the whole time, laughing so hard he couldn't breathe.

Priceless....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back