dumb question about leaving destin (KDTS) to the east.

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
If I can, I'd like to shoot east along the beaches and head north near panama city. I was planning to file an instrument flight plan, but I'm not sure if I can. It says altitudes are available in the restricted areas along the beach for VFR. Is it also available for IR or is it exclusive to VFR? I'm assuming they allow instrument and will tell me if the areas are active.

Before I waste time and embarrass myself with ATC, what's the low down?

My guess would be to do what you do anyplace else in the country: file what you want and fly what you get. I've never flown GA in that part of Florida, although I was in and out of of NPA a lot.

I have never asked for that route, but ATC is usually pretty accommodating down there, unless it's a holiday weekend or some other crazy time.:D

You can always depart VFR and pick up IFR on the way. I think this would be the easiest.
You can try to give Eglin a call (by phone) and see if they can tell you what to expect.

Last two times I flew through the area they cleared me through R2919A (both VFR and IFR). So I don't think it should be a problem.

I've flown that way hundreds of times. File what you want, they'll prob give you radar vectors. You have to call Eglin approach anyway when departing- even if VFR. They are used to it, no big deal.

I flew the coast line from Panama City to Destin last week with no issues. I was coming south from Marianna with flight following and turned down to follow the beach after hittin PC. I don't remember exactly when I switched over to Eglin Approach, but they directed me into Destin. Nice FBO at Destin. We departed to the south and again followed the beach back the way I came. Eglin actually restricted me to a 1000' for a while and then allowed me to bump up the the 2500 I had requested. We went early and it was a great sightseeing trip.

You can always depart VFR and pick up IFR on the way. I think this would be the easiest.
Always? Don't bet on it. Lots of reasons why ATC might say "unable at this time, maintain VFR" when you call them already airborne. If you are going to do this, make sure you have a fully VFR Plan B which avoids all those areas entirely.

You can try to give Eglin a call (by phone) and see if they can tell you what to expect.
Very good idea.

Worked out fine. The lady at Eglin was super nice and easy to deal with on the radio. I ended up shooting VFR down the coast. Pretty nice view but still a little bumpy down low. Anyway, Destin Jet was a great FBO, and I plan on going back several times.

Always? Don't bet on it. Lots of reasons why ATC might say "unable at this time, maintain VFR" when you call them already airborne. If you are going to do this, make sure you have a fully VFR Plan B which avoids all those areas entirely.

I should have said "you can always try".

There was this one time I tried picking it up in the air (because otherwise I would have had to hold for release forever) and they didn't give it to me (nothing special there). But I was persistent and finally got it! The problem was that by that time I was 10nm away from the destination airport so they just cleared me for a visual. :rofl:
So I'll say that you can always get it, it's just a question of when.

Back