Dulles East Downwind Clearance Instructions? (VFR)

AirDC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
DC airspace gurus,

I fly out of KGAI and was wondering if someone could give instructions on how to get a VFR clearance and execute a "Dulles East Downwind Transition" I have heard about...for getting around the FRZ and DCA/IAD class Bs. The route that takes you in between Dulles and the FRZ. I use a Garmin 430 and an ipad/foreflight for navigation.

Someone quickly explained to me once to file GA-Husel-Stayo-BRV (pic attached) which didn't make complete sense to me since I am VFR and have never filed anything besides GAI to a SFRA gate. Although I could plug those into the gps or foreflight and follow them easily.

Also - I realize that it isn't a guarantee they will give it to you, but what percentage of the time have you been succesful getting it? Different for N to S vs S to N? Tips for increasing liklihood of success?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• EDD.jpg
    EDD.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
All depends on how busy they are and how "trustworthy" you sound. Suggest doing this with a familiar pilot/CFI the first time.

You can look at flightware.com to see Dulles' busy arrival times. Those are when you're least likely to get the transition.

Tim,

Have you ever done one of these yourself? Did you pre-file anything or just make the request to Potomac approach (if so, what did you say). Thanks!

Going from HEF to JYO, I filed a SFRA plan STAYO HUSEL and put in the remarks "REQ EAST DOWNWIND".

On three out of four of those trips I got vectors up the east side, the other time I got "unable, remain outside of Bravo" and I went up the west.

East downwind is pretty simple, just a mile or two east of 1R/19L. It goes right over my house. I've been flying that routing since before 9/11.

East downwind is pretty simple, just a mile or two east of 1R/19L. It goes right over my house. I've been flying that routing since before 9/11.

Any chance of listing step-by-step instruction from filing through completion for the benefit of myself and others in the area who might be interested?

File the regular plan. Call the appropriate class B entry sector rather than the SFAR transponder-observed controller.

As above, if departing a non-towered field. If departing HEF, tell the tower that you are looking for the east transition and would like a handoff to Potomac approach.

Say I wanted to file KGAI HUSEL STAYO FLUKY and then continue to the southwest. 1. If ATC is unable to give me the east downwind transition, can I amend my SFRA flight plan so I can exit via another gate, e.g. LUCKE? 2. If ATC does give me the bravo clearance, will they facilitate the transition of HEF's airspace, or is another handoff involved?

If you are talking to ATC and are inside the SFRA, it's no big deal about exiting via another gate. Just talk to them.

If you are talking to ATC and are inside the SFRA, it's no big deal about exiting via another gate. Just talk to them.

If you're outside, however, plan to use the filed gate. I ended up with the Dulles West Downwind instead of East on Sunday.... :(

Back