Duats routing question...

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I planned a route using duats and it gave me back the flightplan
but also included "--- int." in the route. Clearly, there is a turn I need to make at this intersection (and load in the GPS) but can't find it? What am I missing? :mad2:

Here's the route from duats:

SNC, D>, MAD, V475, --- int., V374, CMK
V374, VOLLU int., V39, SAX, V39, ETX, D>
LNS

Looks to me like there's no named intersection where V475 and V374 cross. So, you can either guess at where that is (probably not the best idea), file for a different route (like MAD - CMK instead of MAD - V475 - V374 - CMK), or... actually fly the needles since there is an intersection that exists there in space, even if it doesn't have a name. I'd probably try to file a different route, but if that's what I got, just fly the needles.

Ted, okay not me then...

Felix, Yea, already looking at other routing and your right, not that different

Thanks for the quick response Gents!

What about a user defined waypoint at the intersection of the 2 airways?

Sorry I can't directly answer your question (I use fltplan.ocm, not Duats). But here are the last 4 assigned routes from SNC to LNS:

MAD CMK V188 SAX V249 SBJ
SEALL V188 CMK V39 ETX

BDR CMK V623 SAX V39 ETX V39 LRP

CMK V3 SBJ V30 ETX V39 LRP

Sorry I can't directly answer your question (I use fltplan.ocm, not Duats). But here are the last 4 assigned routes from SNC to LNS:

MAD CMK V188 SAX V249 SBJ
SEALL V188 CMK V39 ETX
BDR CMK V623 SAX V39 ETX V39 LRP
CMK V3 SBJ V30 ETX V39 LRP

Hey Jason,

Long time no chat! Yea, I looked at those as well. No biggie as there are
lots of routes. And, knowing NY, we may not get any as filed!:rofl:

Are you going to Lancaster next Saturday?

Andy

Nope, unfortunately I'm still in Indiana for another 2 weeks. Then I'm home for 5 days, and then back out til December (end of the semester). Maybe we'll fly somewhere when I'm back home for winter break. :smile:

And yes, "I have a full re-route advise ready to copy" is just part of flying in NY. It's worse down at Allentown in my experience though. *doh*

And yes, "I have a full re-route advise ready to copy" is just part of flying in NY. It's worse down at Allentown in my experience though. *doh*

+1 on that. Do those guys take the book out and purposely come up with the most idiotic routing possible and then give it to you?

I planned a route using duats and it gave me back the flightplan
but also included "--- int." in the route. Clearly, there is a turn I need to make at this intersection (and load in the GPS) but can't find it? What am I missing? :mad2:

Here's the route from duats:

SNC, D>, MAD, V475, --- int., V374, CMK
V374, VOLLU int., V39, SAX, V39, ETX, D>
LNS

What route did you input to DUATS?

What are you actually trying to find? A published intersection where V475 and V374 intersect? There isn't any, although there's probably an unpublished one. Is your problem loading the route in the GPS?

What about a user defined waypoint at the intersection of the 2 airways?
That's the ticket. Use the coordinate data in the flight log to create a user-defined waypoint at the airway intersection. Picking a name-defined intersection nearby is not kosher.

What route did you input to DUATS?

What are you actually trying to find? A published intersection where V475 and V374 intersect? There isn't any, although there's probably an unpublished one. Is your problem loading the route in the GPS?

I used auto-routing and that is what was suggested. What caught my eye was the "... Intersection", I never saw that before?

No issues w/ loading the route as there are many choices....

Last edited:
Nope, unfortunately I'm still in Indiana for another 2 weeks. Then I'm home for 5 days, and then back out til December (end of the semester). Maybe we'll fly somewhere when I'm back home for winter break. :smile:

Ah! Good deal! and hope to catch up w/ ya when your back! Safe travels!

I used auto-routing and that is what was suggested. What caught my eye was the "... Intersection", I never saw that before?

Appears to just be the way DUATS presents intersecting airways that lack a named intersection. It's also a bit unnecessarily complicated. The ATC computer would show it as SNC..MAD.V475..V374.CMK.V39.ETX..LNS

Last edited:
That's the ticket. Use the coordinate data in the flight log to create a user-defined waypoint at the airway intersection. Picking a name-defined intersection nearby is not kosher.
While getting the routing DUATS suggests is an iffy proposition, it is common to get this kind of routing, at least around here.

If you're /G it might be a good idea to know how to program this.

Joe

yeah, that is a weird one. haven't seen that before.

Just got one now for flight up to the NE Flyers at Lancaster -- EZIZI V29 DQO V469 V499 LRP. But I think I put that one in the box a while back, so the 469/499 user waypoint should still be there.

Just got one now for flight up to the NE Flyers at Lancaster -- EZIZI V29 DQO V469 V499 LRP. But I think I put that one in the box a while back, so the 469/499 user waypoint should still be there.

That's the route DUATS suggests, but will ATC actually assign it?

If there is no TEC route, are you likely to get whatever you file? I'm so used to flying in the Northeast, I think I have all the (only) routes memorized. I'm not used to getting whatever I pick.

While getting the routing DUATS suggests is an iffy proposition, it is common to get this kind of routing, at least around here.

If you're /G it might be a good idea to know how to program this.

Joe
Very, very true.

Every time I depart IFR out of Ontario, I get POM V264 V186. There's no published intersection for V264-V186.

I've made a user waypoint now. Before, I used to either use a radial for 186 off of the VNY VOR, or set up 186 in the second GPS.....

-Felix

That's the route DUATS suggests, but will ATC actually assign it?
I was cleared as filed. Once airborne, past Pax and Dover, Philly gave me "after DQO direct PADRE" for the RNAV 31.
If there is no TEC route, are you likely to get whatever you file?
It seems to depend on how well what you file fits with the flows to which the TEC routes are fitted.

I was cleared as filed. Once airborne, past Pax and Dover, Philly gave me "after DQO direct PADRE" for the RNAV 31.
It seems to depend on how well what you file fits with the flows to which the TEC routes are fitted.

Interesting.

Back