Duat or Duats?

Do you prefer to use Duat or Duats and why?

• Duat

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Duats

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
Duats.Com is who I signed up with, So they are who I use. I guess i dont know any better.

DUATS. It was the first one I used and I like it. I know with Duat you can submit multiple requests for wx images. I like Duats because it is a simple black and white screen.

I use DUATS because I really, really like their free Golden Eagle flight planner.

I use Duats b/c thats what I started with. I also use AOPA Real Time Flight Planner but It uses Duats to get the weather. Haven't bothered to get Golden Eagle yet.

:blueplane:

They're both FAA contractors. Both supply the same basic data. One of them has better graphics and a better online planner. I use both - occasionally one will be down, the other up.

Both are free to you. You can sign up for both, and use the one you like best.

Ain't Gov't services great??? :yes:

Duat, but indirectly -- I use Flitesoft for planning and it accesses duat to get all the goodies and to plug in winds aloft.

Duat, I like that I can save trips and re-run them later without having to re-type. Plus I like the graphics.

Missa

I was signed up with DUATS, and that's what I used, until I got my IR. I had my Duats code taped to the back of my ASEL (laminated), and lost the login stuff. Now I use DUATS indirectly through AOPA's flight planner.

EDIT: I used the Access code recovery, but still no clue what my password it, because it's stored here on the computer. :eek:

Last edited:
Missa said:
Duat, I like that I can save trips and re-run them later without having to re-type. Plus I like the graphics.
Missa, you can save trips on DUATS too. Look down the main page under "stored routes".

I use DUATS because it's usually faster than DUAT, besides I'm more familiar with it. For the past year or so though, I've been using Fltplan.com which uses DUATS to file but has a much nicer planning interface.

I started with Duats and a few months back got Golden Eagle. I prefer Golden Eagle to AOPA Flight Planner as I like the terrain clearance information at the bottom plus it doesn't need all the ports that the AOPA one does, meaning I can run it at work because our firewall blocks AOPA's.

Duat because it is an approved source for our company. I have an account with Duats because thats who I used to use.

I am registered with both in case one goes down or is otherwise unavailable. Generally I use Duats.com, but mostly via Flitesoft's automated weather briefing.

i have been using Duats for I strated with it and can have become use to it. I do have Flight Brief which I find easy to use. and the AOPA flight planner.

John J

bbchien said:
Duats because I can remember my account #. Sigh.

That's great! I always used Duats because it was what I started with, but never took the trouble to memorize the number, and could never figure out how to change it.

I got interested in duat only because it let me pick my user id. :rolleyes:

N2212R said:
I was signed up with DUATS, and that's what I used, until I got my IR. I had my Duats code taped to the back of my ASEL (laminated), and lost the login stuff. Now I use DUATS indirectly through AOPA's flight planner.

EDIT: I used the Access code recovery, but still no clue what my password it, because it's stored here on the computer. :eek:

Ed...interesting...I have a business card sized laminated flight plan in my wallet that I use for filling on the road (car, hotel, etc.) over the phone. It never occured to me to just put my duats account number on there....sigh...

I voted for DTC DUAT only because it had the better user front-end at the time I signed up (really early on). Eventually (forerunner to GTE) DUATS distributed Golden Eagle which was not only hard to install but crashed often and was difficult to use; I think I thought of it as "Ruptured Duck". A proposed third DUAT site (Jeppesen in Los Gatos, CA) never happened, probably due to FAA budget reasons.

The problem now is that DTC DUAT has not improved their Windows package much and, in my opinion, CSC DUATS has surpassed them with significant improvements to Golden Eagle. My only complaint with Golden Eagle thus far is that it should remove selection flags for the "extra cost" functions if the user elects not to purchase them.

I am pretty happy with the AOPA Flight Planner and have been toying with Golden Eagle for comparison.

As far as userid and passwords are concerned, I downloaded a freeware package that keeps all my userids and passwords on my computer (in an encrypted file) and I have just a single password to access everything.

One problem I had with the AOPA flight planner and I thought also with golden eagle was that I could not directly enter a route " dpk v16 col " you had to drag your course line around on the map to change a route that was generated automatically by the software. A major pain ! I find it unusable for ifr flight planning because of this.

By the way I was told by aopa and jeppesen that they did that so that there upgrade purchased product would have this feature and the free one would not.

Last week at sun and fun a very helpful rep in the golden eagle booth showed me that there software can do exactly what I need and allow you to enter the waypoints for the route like this " dpk v16 col " and it will draw it on the map and use that route for all flight planning and flight plan functions.

If anyone knows what I am talking about and is interested in how to do it let me know and I will post the instructions.

Take care...

Jon

N2212R said:

You can call them and they'll keep giving you hints until you get it.

iflyatiger said:
One problem I had with the AOPA flight planner and I thought also with golden eagle was that I could not directly enter a route " dpk v16 col " you had to drag your course line around on the map to change a route that was generated automatically by the software. A major pain ! I find it unusable for ifr flight planning because of this.

Jon,

Very good point on not being able to enter IFR routes directly into AOPA Flight Planner. Like you said, however, you can monkey with the course line -- somewhat inconvenient. I haven't downloaded Golden Eagle yet, but from the description the free version doesn't have detailed charts (airspace, etc) like the Jepp charts in the AOPA version. Am I correct?

Gary Sortor said:
Jon,

Very good point on not being able to enter IFR routes directly into AOPA Flight Planner. Like you said, however, you can monkey with the course line -- somewhat inconvenient. I haven't downloaded Golden Eagle yet, but from the description the free version doesn't have detailed charts (airspace, etc) like the Jepp charts in the AOPA version. Am I correct?

Golden Eagle does have airspace, TFRs, etc. It's also got chartlike presentation of mountains and terrain, as well as a side view of your flight, so if you lay out a flight at 3000 ft across 6000 ft terrain, you'll know it. It came in handy while picking a route home from WV earlier this month. If you are in select mode and let your mouse hover over an airport, you get a pop up information screen with all the airport info and a diagram. Pretty neat, I think.

Back