Dual XGPS160 SkyPro Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

S Joslin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
S Joslin
Any PIREP's on this new GPS receiver from Dual?

My trusty Dual XGPS150A has gone belly up, it would appear, as it refuses to "pair" with any Apple device I have. I guess it's time for a new one...

No PIREP on the 160, but here's a trick I learned for getting your 150 to pair with an Apple device again:

1) Turn the DUAL on.
2) Open the access cover over the USB port & mode switch.
3) Slide the mode switch from the right (Apple) to the left (Android). This causes it to forget any pairings with Apple devices.
4) Wait a few seconds, then slide the mode switch from the left back to the right.
5) Then try pairing the DUAL with your Apple device.

If that works, great! If not, well the DUAL 160 and the Bad Elf Pro both have similar features & price, but the Bad Elf Pro also has a screen so you can see your position and other info about it, and you can use it as a stand-alone GPS data-logger without other apps.

- Josh

Any PIREP's on this new GPS receiver from Dual?

My trusty Dual XGPS150A has gone belly up, it would appear, as it refuses to "pair" with any Apple device I have. I guess it's time for a new one...

If it has truly failed, talk to Dual. They may fix it or offer a cheaper upgrade.

No PIREP on the 160, but here's a trick I learned for getting your 150 to pair with an Apple device again:

1) Turn the DUAL on.
2) Open the access cover over the USB port & mode switch.
3) Slide the mode switch from the right (Apple) to the left (Android). This causes it to forget any pairings with Apple devices.
4) Wait a few seconds, then slide the mode switch from the left back to the right.
5) Then try pairing the DUAL with your Apple device.

If that works, great! If not, well the DUAL 160 and the Bad Elf Pro both have similar features & price, but the Bad Elf Pro also has a screen so you can see your position and other info about it, and you can use it as a stand-alone GPS data-logger without other apps.

- Josh
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately a no-go. It was working yesterday on a short flight I took to a Wings seminar. On the return flight, I noticed that I didn't have a "position fix" in FF, then realized the 150 wasn't paired with iPad (mini, WiFi only).

I tried this:
http://gps.dualav.com/faq/xgps150-150a-150e/. See the first one...

And this:
http://blog.foreflight.com/2013/03/27/bulletin-ios-6-and-external-made-for-ipad-gps-accessories/

And updated the 150's firmware to v1.2.6, also since the 150 won't pair with any Apple device I have (iPad1, iPad mini, iPad3, iPhone5), I'm starting to think the 150 is the problem, lol...

Back