Dual time near PFN?

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
Hey, does anyone know where I might pick up a little dual time in/near Panama City? Gonna spend almost a week there for a neice's wedding, and may have a bit of spare time.

Also, how far away is Pensacola? Do I recall correctly there is a Naval aviation museum there?

Jim

Hey, does anyone know where I might pick up a little dual time in/near Panama City? Gonna spend almost a week there for a neice's wedding, and may have a bit of spare time.

Also, how far away is Pensacola? Do I recall correctly there is a Naval aviation museum there?

Jim

I flew around there with Tristan (she lived/grew up/got her private there. shes going to school in Oklahoma). She'd be the best person to talk to. The FBO you'll want to rent from is Precesion. I beleive the other one may be questionable as far as maintence. We flew N737KG which was a 172 and it seemed to be taken care of.

Jim

Pensacola is probably a couple hour drive from Panama City. I visited the Naval Air Museum a couple months back, very cool. We were there during the off season, but apparently during the Blue Angel's season, you can see them practice.

thanks for the info, Jesse and Steve. Maybe I'll get to play around at both activities.

Jim

Jim
If you want to you can call Precision aviation at 850 522 1000, tell them you're looking for some dual time with an instructor in the 172 (it'll be N737KG). My mom works there and they have a great bunch of guys that give it a laid back atmosphere. I personaly don't trust the other FBO as far as maintenance and friendly service goes. They will also forbid you to fly the 172; their excuse being "thats our only IFR airplane."

As a pilot that used to fly to the beach all the time I would take off, stay at a thousand feet (it'll say so in the ATIS) and fly towards the enlet to the south. You can stay there and fly along the beach until phillips inlet. You'll almost parallel the buildings but just watch out for banner towing aircraft. They're usualy at 500ft on beach frequency 122.75; you can ask thier position or give them yours. Phillips inlet is the turn around for everyone before contacting Eglin AFB. Then fly back the same way if you want. Once you get almost to Tyndall (dont go through thier airspace without asking) you'll be able to see PFN on your left about 6 miles inland.

Pensacola is a 3 hour car drive but about an hour and half flight. There is a musuem there called Pensacola Naval Air Museum. If I remember right, the blue angels practice thier flight routine over the beach on tuesdays. You'll have to rent a car and get a visitors pass to go on the base I believe but everyone seems pretty friendly and the museum is really awesome. They have a little sandwhich place right in the museum so you can make a day of it. The only thing I would suggest if you're flying there is to watch your airspaces and military aircraft, theres a bunch of it. Have fun, the beach is beautiful!

Last edited:
Thanks, Tris, for your insight. Unfortunately, can't fly to Pensacola; still don't have my certificate; however, getting a little bit closer, as schedule permits.

Jim

Back