Dual GPS quit sharing coordinates on iPad

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
My iPad (one of the 'new' ones, with the latest iOS) and an external GPS from Dual, the model XGPS150, worked together happily for several months. But now they don't.

Keys.jpg

The problem is that the XGPS150 seems to have quit sharing its coordinates with other apps. Foreflight is the app I care about, and it shows "No Fix", but I can see that the GPS isn't sharing coordinates with the Apple Map app, either, so the problem does not seem to be Foreflight. I know that the XGPS is connecting to the iPad, and that it is getting satellite data and has obtained a fix, because Dual's own app shows this.

I'm guessing the problem is that some setting on the iPad changed after I upgraded the iOS, but I haven't found it yet. I've tried Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy followed by clicking something to reset the location/privacy settings to default, but that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have an iPad 3 on the latest iOS, and an XGPS150, but haven't used them together since the iOS6 upgrade. I'll try in the morning and see if something broke.

Found this on their website. Not sure if helps. However if you are getting data, I doubt that's your problem.

My iPad 3 is not pairing with the XGPS150. The blue light just keeps blinking on the XGPS150.
The solution is to reset the Bluetooth settings on the iPad: go to Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. (CAUTION: this will cause the iPad to forget all paired Bluetooth devices and previously used WiFi networks. However, you will only need to do this procedure once.) Once the Bluetooth settings are reset to the factory defaults, the iPad will recognize and pair with the XGPS150 correctly.

Pairing is not the problem.

The two Bluetooth devices (Dual and iPad) have remained paired just fine, and as I mentioned the Dual is sending its GPS data to the Dual app running on the iPad, which requires that the two devices have paired.

The problem seems to be that no other App is getting the location.

Have you tried turning the iPad all the way off, and back on?

As promised, I checked it this morning. I'm not having the issue you describe. XGPS150 seems to be working fine with ForeFlight.

With that said, I'll say that ForeFlight wasn't seeing the XGPS150 in the devices list right away... I went into the iPad settings, turned off Cellular Data, then went back into ForeFlight and the XGPS150 was visible and connected.

I played with that combination a bit more and couldn't duplicate the "XGPS150 isn't visible in ForeFlight", so that artifact may have been more related to the fact that I was doing network GPS with X-Plane and ForeFlight last night as my GPS source in Devices.

When YOU go into ForeFlight > More > Devices, what do you see?

You might also check that Location Services are turned on for FF. Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> FF

You might also check that Location Services are turned on for FF. Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> FF

I think your suggestion is probably the right one. If that's turned off, he shouldn't get a signal in ForeFlight from the internal GPS either (assuming he has a 3G iPad), and that'd match his "no signal" in FF symptom.

To the original poster: do you have a 3G iPad? If so, do you get a signal and position in ForeFlight with 3G on?

My iPad (one of the 'new' ones, with the latest iOS) and an external GPS from Dual, the model XGPS150, worked together happily for several months. But now they don't.

Keys.jpg

The problem is that the XGPS150 seems to have quit sharing its coordinates with other apps. Foreflight is the app I care about, and it shows "No Fix", but I can see that the GPS isn't sharing coordinates with the Apple Map app, either, so the problem does not seem to be Foreflight. I know that the XGPS is connecting to the iPad, and that it is getting satellite data and has obtained a fix, because Dual's own app shows this.

I'm guessing the problem is that some setting on the iPad changed after I upgraded the iOS, but I haven't found it yet. I've tried Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy followed by clicking something to reset the location/privacy settings to default, but that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem after installing iOS 6.0.
Get the ipad to forget the GPS and then re-pair it from the beginning.

I had the same problem after installing iOS 6.0.
Get the ipad to forget the GPS and then re-pair it from the beginning.

Okay I thought this worked at the time, a few weeks later it stopped working again.

Anyone figured out how to fix it?

Thanks

I'd contact Dual. They'll probably have a fix for you.

I actually contacted ForeFlight just before you posted that, this is what they said.

This is an iOS 6 induced issue, which Apple tell us will be fixed by iOS 6.1 when it becomes available. This issue effects all apps using an external GPS, except the vendor apps. The vendor apps "talk" directly to the GPS, not through Apple iOS.

More about this and a workaround in our Blog here:

http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/10/02/external-gps-devices-and-ios-6/

Also, confirm that Location Services for ForeFlight is ON (Find this under iPad Settings > Privacy > Location Services).

And confirm that Disable Ownship is set to OFF (Find this under ForeFlight Settings, near the bottom of right column.

If the above does not get your your GPS going, then try the Double-Click-Trick (a complete stop and re-start of the ForeFlight Mobile app):

1. Exit ForeFlight and go to the main iPhone or iPad home screen
2. Press the button at the bottom of the iPhone/iPad twice in a row. A list of the last apps you've used should show slide up at the bottom of the screen, and the top part of the screen will go dark. If they don't slide up - please try again until they do.
3. Find the ForeFlight icon on that list at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold the icon until it starts to wiggle, then tap the - sign in the top-left corner of the icon. This will stop ForeFlight from running in the background.
4. Tap on the top of the screen to exit.
5. Tap the ForeFlight Mobile icon.

Please let us know your results.

FYI, in your iPad Settings, we recommend you turn OFF Airplane Mode, Wifi and Cellular. Of course, Bluetooth must be ON.

So I guess I'll just waist for iOS 6.1, hopefully it won't take too long.

You need to close out apps when this happens. Double click the round button. This will move YE screen up and a row of icons will appear at the bottom. These are all the apps active in the background. Press and hold one for a couple of seconds. All of them will get a red dot with a white dash in the upper left corner and they will start wiggling. Press the red dot on all of them to close them. Any time an app doesn't pair close it this way. When you start the app again everything will magically work again.

So I guess I'll just waist for iOS 6.1, hopefully it won't take too long.

Anybody know when 6.1 is expected to be released?

I had this same problem with my dual gps/iPad setup a few weeks ago. It looked like I had a good fix when I was on the ground but shortly after t/o I lost positioning. Had to pull out the iPhone to finish the trip.

Back on the ground, I followed the steps referenced above to forget and re-establish a new connection with the Dual. Everything seems to be working fine now but based on the comments I'm concerned that the connection might fail again.

Anybody know when 6.1 is expected to be released?

Based on when 6.0 came out I'm hopping it will be in the next two month or something like that. But it's just a guess.

Based on when 6.0 came out I'm hopping it will be in the next two month or something like that. But it's just a guess.

I was notified of the 6.1 update today on my Verizon iPhone 5, just installed it. Didn't see anything about this issue in the brief update notes they show you on the phone... but now I can apparently buy Fandango tickets via Siri. :dunno:

I was notified of the 6.1 update today on my Verizon iPhone 5, just installed it. Didn't see anything about this issue in the brief update notes they show you on the phone... but now I can apparently buy Fandango tickets via Siri. :dunno:

You're right it is out, thanks!

I'll test how it works with 6.1 and post a report in the near future.

Pairing is not the problem.

The two Bluetooth devices (Dual and iPad) have remained paired just fine, and as I mentioned the Dual is sending its GPS data to the Dual app running on the iPad, which requires that the two devices have paired.

The problem seems to be that no other App is getting the location.

The problem is that the BT pairing is corrupted -

just go to the ipad and reset the network settings as described. . . .

I had the same issue but had to add turning off automatic time zone before rebooting Settings -> General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically = OFF.

Once working, don't forget to turn automatic time zone back on.

Last edited:
mine does same thing. This is my fix, havn't had a problem since.

Go to settings
turn OFF Wi-Fi
problem solved!!!

Had the exact same problem using Dual XGPS150 and WiFi-Only iPad 2. To resolve the problem I:
1. Updated my iPad from iOS6.0 to iOS6.1
then,
2. On the iPad, go to Settings/Bluetooth. Click on the blue arrow next to the XGPS150, then click on Forget this Device
3. Re-Pair the XGPS150 with the iPad and connect to it
4. On the iPad go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. If your iPad has a screenlock password, you will have to enter it to complete this step. Once the iPad is finished with the Network Reset, you may have to reenter your WiFi passphrase to reconnect to your wireless network
5. On the iPad, go to Settings/WiFi and turn WiFi to OFF

When you open ForeFlight, you should now see a numerical value under the Accuracy window instead of seeing 'No Fix'

I'm having this issue myself now. I've tried all the fixes I have found on the interwebs. The Dual sends it information to a host of other aviation related apps, just not Foreflight. I am running the most current iOS. Any more ideas? Thanks.

I had the same issue last week with the Dual GPS and the newest WiFi only ipad. The Dual GPS and ipad would connect via Bluetooth and showed a solid blue light, but had no GPS signal light and showed no fix in Foreflight. I downloaded the Dual GPS app from the Apple App Store and opened it while the Dual GPS was paired to the ipad and the dual GPS app fixed everything. Foreflight was showing coordinates after the dual app had been running for around 2-3 mins.

Hello all - long time lurker - I have the iPad 2 wifi only/Dual 150 set up with Foreflight. I have encountered the same issues getting a connection that seem to be described above. I have a method that has resolved my issues every time upon initial start-up. I don't know if it will work for you, but it has worked for me for the past 5 months without fail.

I am in current iPad and Foreflight releases.

1. Power off and Power on iPad.
2. Disable wifi in settings (enable bluetooth if necessary)
3. Power on Dual GPS
4. Start Foreflight
5. You should be seeing no fix now.
6. Double tap round button and hold down foreflight icon. Close out the program (red button in corner)
7. Start Foreflight...

Works every time for me. Hope it does for you...

On a side note, I was not able to get the GPS150 App working along with Foreflight. But I haven't tried it with the most recent updates.

Back