DSN Issue?

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
I would greatly appreciate suggestions of stuff to try, etc.

The particulars:

HP/Compaq laptop PC
Windows 2000
IE 6.x
Netgear wireless/wired router (802.11g)

The problem:

PC wireless card software indicates a solid wireless linkl Operating via a wireless link I can't hit a webpage unless I provide the address (i.e. http://65.125.13.145/ (AOPA webboard). If I provide the specific web address it goes just fine over the wireless router. If I type in www.aopa.org or even http://www.aopa.org instead of the specific address I get "webpage not found" or equivalent.

OTOH, change nothing except hardwire the laptop via a Cat 5 cable from one of the routers ports and I can instantly hit webpages all day using www.aopa.org, etc.

BTW, the problem isn't related to aopa.org. I can't hit cnn.com, weather.com, etc. The AOPA webboard just happens to be the only hardwired addresses in my browser address book, so it quickly highlighted the problem issue.

Related (or not) details:

Wife sits right next to me, wireless surfing the same router to her heart's content. Different brand PC, Windows XT, but otherwise using the web addresses I can't hit.

History:

Worked fine Thursday night or Friday morning over the Netgear wireless router. Surfed via phone modem Friday night and Saturday morning without problems. Surfed via Virginia Aviation's wireless Saturday afternoon after adding their SSID. Got home last night (Saturday) and no joy. Nada. It ain't happening. I checked the proxy, etc. settings but they are all correct for this place & time.

What gives, Oh Mighty PC Gurus out there? Any suggestions where to look? Obviously a problem between my PC/wireless card, my browser, and the router since my wife has no problems with her PC/wireless card, the same browser software, and the same router.

Any suggestions appreciated. Helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.;)

Last edited:
This is from Windows XP, so you may have to translate a bit, but in the TCP/IP selection under the wireless network properties, there is a radio button selection for "Obtain DNS server address automatically". See if this is selected. If it is and doesn't work check your wife's to see if she has IP addresses entered for the DNS. DNS is the Domain Name Server, the part of the internet that supplies the translation from URL (xxx.com etc) to IP addresses (EG 91.222.101.1).

First try what lance said.

If you still are having problems:
1.) Click on Start
2.) Click on Run
3.)Type in: cmd.exe
4.) Click OK
5.) Type in: ipconfig /registerdns

Give it a few minutes, Try now. If that doesn't work. Reboot and try to see if you can resolve a domain yet. If not.

There are a few things we need to make sure we eliminate.

What we are first going to do is make sure nothing is blocking DNS queries, To do this do the following:
1.) Open CMD.exe like I showed you above.
2.) Type in: telnet 69.44.57.115 53
You should just get a blinking _ If you get that close the window, That means no firewall is blocking DNS queries.
If you get a connect failed. Turn off any firewall you have installed and see if that fixes your problem.

IF you are still having a problem. I need to know if this is just the web browser or if your computer isn't resolving DNS at all.

Open cmd.exe like I said above.

Now just type in: ping google.com

Do you get a response? If you do, It's a problem with your web browser. If you don't then it's something else still.

Next thing on the list to check is something known as teh hosts file. Your computer first checks this before it attempts to resolve a domain name. If there is an entry in this it will simply use what the hosts file specifies and will not try to resolve it. I kind of doubt it is this, But I have seen some spyware/viruses simply poor in references to every domain you try to connect to.

It will be located in your windows\system32\drivers\etc folder. It's called "hosts" You'l have to open it with notepad.

If there is nothing odd looking in there just close it.

If we are still at the point to where your DNS isn't working. Go to your network properties for the wireless connection. Specify a DNS server

Use:

Primary: 69.44.57.115
Secondary: 66.139.79.142

There are both DNS servers that I run. They are colocated in data centers with multiple tier 1 connections. I use them at home for DNS as my cable internet provider runs the most unreliable and slow dns servers I've ever seen.

If you still aren't having any luck.

Click on Start, Followed by Run

Type in: cmd.exe click ok

Type in:

ipconfig /displaydns

Paste those results here.

Try the DNS stuff suggested already. If it still doesn't work, post your results. Sounds like it's hard coded somewhere.

lancefisher said:
This is from Windows XP, so you may have to translate a bit, but in the TCP/IP selection under the wireless network properties, there is a radio button selection for "Obtain DNS server address automatically". See if this is selected. If it is and doesn't work check your wife's to see if she has IP addresses entered for the DNS. DNS is the Domain Name Server, the part of the internet that supplies the translation from URL (xxx.com etc) to IP addresses (EG 91.222.101.1).

Lance, I tried both alternatives last night and neither worked. Normally I use automatic, but I tried manual just to see if it would solve the problem. No joy. I was a bit sleep deprived Saturday morning so I assumed I might have toggled something inadvertently.

Lance & Jesse & Brian -- thanks for the suggestions. Someone over on the other board suggested a hard reboot from ground up and that did indeed solve the issue. I had tried a PC reboot, a router & PC reboot, but for some reason I didn't consider a cable modem & router & PC reboot.

Jesse, I copied the information you provided so that I can run through the various tests if/when this happens again. I'd like to know who's jamming the system.

Last edited:
Back