Dropped Cylinder

I spent a few weeks in Aspen this summer, and found that to get to take off power (got a turbo engine), I had to advance the throttle a small amount first (while still leaned), then rich, then smoothly advance the throttle the rest of the way. Going rich first would almost certainly kill the engine...

I spent a few weeks in Aspen this summer, and found that to get to take off power (got a turbo engine), I had to advance the throttle a small amount first (while still leaned), then rich, then smoothly advance the throttle the rest of the way. Going rich first would almost certainly kill the engine...

What engine?

The TSIO-360 has no problems with idle at full rich at any airport altitude I've been to (includes Leadville)

What engine?

The TSIO-360 has no problems with idle at full rich at any airport altitude I've been to (includes Leadville)

Some of that model have an aneroid that adjusts the mixture for pressure altitude.

Dan

Just got a call back from the mechanic.

The plug was badly fouled. He cleaned it up and it is running fine, so that is good news.

Now my question is, how can I minimize/prevent this from happening in the future?

Dan, I had the same problem, even with aggressive leaning on the ground, for the first six months after I purchased my plane and fixed the problem with eight fine wire plugs. Have not had a bad magneto check in the three years since. Some guys use fine wires on the bottom holes only and that seems to work well too.

You pull in to the mechanics shop and say, "I've fouled the bottom plug on three" and he is not busy good chance you are outa there <$20, if he is busy you can ask to rent some tools for a couple of minutes and clean it. There is always the possibility though that they want $120 minimum or somehow othe ransom you. This is why it's good to carry some tools. Make sure you have the small wrench to hold the wire when you crack off and snug the cap.

Good comment..:yesnod:

Altho it is ALOT easier to carry a spare plug to put in and get home. Then you can clean the fouled one at home in your spare time.;)

When leaning on the ground, I usually lean to peak RPM, and leave it there.
Works well enough for me.

Dan, I had the same problem, even with aggressive leaning on the ground, for the first six months after I purchased my plane and fixed the problem with eight fine wire plugs. Have not had a bad magneto check in the three years since. Some guys use fine wires on the bottom holes only and that seems to work well too.

I looked at the fine wire plugs, they are quite pricey!

We replaced the plugs this weekend, and it seems to be running much better. The plan is to take the old plugs clean them, have them checked, and use them as a backup set.

-Dan

We replaced the plugs this weekend, and it seems to be running much better. The plan is to take the old plugs clean them, have them checked, and use them as a backup set.

-Dan

Smart move...:yesnod:

I was never taught to lean on the ground? At what point would one do this? Immediately after start? During runnup? Is it mentioned anyware in the POH?

For those of us that aren't at sea level, leaning on the ground is really important.

Got the plane flown home last night. The engine sounds much better when all the cylinders are firing properly :).

I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and pull all of the plugs and clean them this weekend, and I have a few questions.

1) Is this a good idea?
2) How do I clean them, just like a car with a wire brush, or is there an approved airplane safe way to do this?
3) Should I make sure they go back in the same spot, or is there some advantage to rotating them. I.e. top to bottom, another cylinder, etc.?
4) Anything else I should think about/know before I attempt this?

Thanks,

-Dan

http://www.sacskyranch.com/faqsparkplug.htm

http://www.tempestplus.com/literature_.htm and scroll down to "Spark plug cleaning the right way

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22687

If there's an EAA chapter nearby, join and learn how to do it with hands-on help.

-Dan

I will second the vote for fine-wire plugs. We used to foul the plugs on our O-540 regularly, which meant (in the days before our engine analyzer) pulling all 12 plugs and cleaning them.

Car gas took care of that problem for many years -- man, I miss those days -- but we can't find it down here reliably, so...fine wire plugs solved the problem once and for all.

I have NEVER fouled a plug since, even burning this crappy blue gas that our engines were never designed to use.

WOW.
54 posts and not one person has "Fowled" a plug...

I suppose everyone posting in this thread finished Skool.:D

Back