Drone Rating

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Is the drone rating an add-on to the current private/commercial ticket or is it a completely separate rating? How about drone instructor rating to the CFI(I)?

Jim

Is the drone rating an add-on to the current private/commercial ticket or is it a completely separate rating? How about drone instructor rating to the CFI(I)?

Jim

It's completely separate. You get a Remote Pilot certificate that is separate from your regular pilot certificate. I was not aware there was such a thing as a drone instructor rating.

Cool. I'm gonna go get my drone rating to extend my BFR a couple of years. <runs off, arms flailing, whistling tunelessly>

It's not a "drone." And, it's not a license.

OK, how about an RPV certificate?

I'm hearing that it is another green plastic card and not a rating on the private/commercial airplane/glider certificate. And I never said that there was a RPV instructor rating/certificate, just asked if there is such a rating to add to the current certificate. Seems to be a lot of misinformation floating about.

Jim

Yes. You should get one if you are already a pilot. Two hours of study, max. Then any flight instructor can do the IACRA "paperwork."

"Remote Pilot Certificate", it is a new/different certificate number from your pilot certificate.

Diffrent card

#DroneLivesMatter

image.jpg

Also don't think there is a drone CFI...yet

Back