Driving into Airventure?

Jim_CAK

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim_CAK
I am trying to spend a few days at Airventure this year. Unfortunately, we will be driving - not flying. I have never driven into the actual airshow grounds - I have only been there once by air during the show. I looked on the EAA website and have the directions for parking but it does not mention how much parking is available and how congested it is.
Aside from the pain of driving into a fly-in, how difficult is it to drive to the airshow?
If anyone can share past experiences -
Is there generally enough parking?
Should we expect to be spending hours in traffic jams getting in and out of the Airventure grounds?
As of now - it does not look like we are staying near any of the shuttles.
We are planning to come mid-week. Wednesday - Thursday

Thanks
Jim

Unless you try to get out IMMEDIATELY after the afternoon airshow, traffic's not that big of a deal. Most of the time the access and the parking flows pretty smoothly. At peak times (Friday/Saturday), you may end up in one of the overflow lots, but they run shuttles. Most of the rest of the time, it's not that much of a walk from the lots into the show.

About the worst disasters occur if it starts raining during the airshow and everybody runs to their car and tries to beat everybody else out.

I drove in for the first time a few years ago. I tried to get there early AM and it was a non-event getting in. Maybe sat in line on the access road for 10-15 minutes, but since living around Atlanta, that's considered 'easy' traffic.

I stayed in a hotel overnight in Neenah and getting in/out in that direction was no problem.

I take a bus from Green Bay, avoiding the high prices of both Appleton and Osh. Leaves you at the main gate and I get it at the Green Bay airport. Have driven in many times can be a hassle.

The bus that runs between the UWO Dorm and the Show makes a few stops along the way. It can get crowded but it runs continuously.

Cheers

I have a buddy in Neenah that I stay with when I hit Oshkosh. The last time was 2019, and at that time, as long as you arrived by 8 or 9 or so, there should be decent parking. There’s a bit of congestion, but it’s not bad.

One thing to note if you arrive earlier in the show is to note that if you see a bunch of RV's all lined up on the frontage road is to go around them. They're backed up checking into Scholler.

I have time off around Oshkosh. Right now I’m planning a U.P. of MI trip to visit family, relatives, & help at a camp & elsewhere. That also includes a relative who wants to go to Oshkosh. With all that going on, I’ll likely just stop by on my drive back. No reason to come home & saddle up the plane.

I don’t think I need much or any oil, may buy some for that ride back to parking though. I like flying in better, but driving works.

Back