Driving an S-Tec 50 from an IFD440?

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by bcg-63M20C, Sep 15, 2022.

1. bcg-63M20C

bcg-63M20C Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    bcg
    I'm researching options to remove an old GPSS that's currently running my AP. It looks like the Avidyne IFD440 is compatible with the S-Tec 50, does that mean it will be able to drive it directly without a GPSS device? And will it be able to drive the AP via either GPS or VOR heading? If so, this would solve a lot of problems for me and really open up my options with the rest of the avionics.

2. Salty

Salty Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Salty
    I believe it can, but you wouldn't have the ability to set a heading with a bug. So you could follow a gps course, but not fly a heading.

3. bcg-63M20C

Display name:
    bcg
    Thank you. I don't currently have the ability to set a GPS heading bug. What I can do though is dial in a VOR radial and fly that heading as a substitute so, if the IFD 440 will run the AP off the VOR, I should still be able to use this as a workaround to the lack of a heading bug, correct?

4. Salty

Display name:
    Salty
    I suppose…..If you’re heading to a vor. But usually you’re not.

5. Hang 4

Hang 4 Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Hang 4
    The GPSS device needs to translate the IFD digital signals into an analog signal the STEC needs. Pretty sure it can't directly drive it without a GPSS module. I know for sure a GTN can't. Adding something like a Garmin GI 275 would drive the AP and take signals from the IFD. That would provide a heading bug and GPS option.

6. Salty

Display name:
    Salty
    Give STEC a call. One of their techs at Oshkosh told me that the IFD could drive it directly. Might have been incorrect info though.

7. bcg-63M20C

Display name:
    bcg
    I've been told it's possible to have the S-Tec controller modified to allow digital input and remove the T&B coordinator. I don't know if that's actually the case though.

8. TommyG

TommyG Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Tom
    I have the 540 and STEC 50, but also a G5. I think if I remember I needed the gad 29 to get gpss.

9. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    Sort of a concept salad going on here.

The S-Tec 50 can hold a course as set by the 440, but it will not do GPS Steering (GPSS) without a GPSS module (could be an S-Tec, or one of several others). You'd need to aim the plane in the right direction, then engage the nav tracking mode.

10. Joe_B1

Joe_B1 Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Joe_B
    You are going to need a GPSS converter. My plane has a GI-275 that performs the conversion for my Stec55x.