Driving a Semi Tractor for Fun

With no fanfare whatsoever, the semi went on its merry way today to a new owner. Nice folks who spent about half an hour or so looking over the truck and decided that, while it had its warts (which it did) it was overall a solid truck. This isn't their first semi and I think they'll do well with it. In the end, I even made a decent profit on it, so I'm happy!

Now comes the searching for a replacement truck, specifically a pickup. While I'd like to get a 2004-2008 Dodge dually, the budget will probably push me more towards an F-250/350.

Well, it was fun for us while you had it...:cryin: :lol::lol:

And it was fun for us while we had it, too. But life changes dictated we needed to sell it. And really, didn't do too badly with it when you consider the ROI. Plus I learned how to drive a semi and learned a good bit about them.

With no fanfare whatsoever, the semi went on its merry way today to a new owner. Nice folks who spent about half an hour or so looking over the truck and decided that, while it had its warts (which it did) it was overall a solid truck. This isn't their first semi and I think they'll do well with it. In the end, I even made a decent profit on it, so I'm happy!

Now comes the searching for a replacement truck, specifically a pickup. While I'd like to get a 2004-2008 Dodge dually, the budget will probably push me more towards an F-250/350.

https://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/6086659999.html

Can't beat turning a profit or even breaking even on a vehicle purchased for fun!

I actually have typically made money on fun vehicles. I've always broken even or made a profit in motorcycles for instance.

Need a long bed.

As much as I want a Dodge, we're heading out to look at an F-350 now. The Fords are just a much better value for the money. Got their issues but I like them overall. That generation Cummins also had its issues - seems most of them need an engine sometime in the 200-300k range.

In before the post where Ted tells us he bought the F-350. (Heh. He posted it somewhere else first.) ;-)

Reactions: Ted
In before the post where Ted tells us he bought the F-350. (Heh. He posted it somewhere else first.) ;-)

I'm making a new thread for that because I have some questions on the PowerStroke 6.0L. :)

It's been a year and a half since I sold the Kenworth. Laurie has (intelligently) prohibited me from buying another semi, but I still sometimes like to browse CraigsList just for fun. Look what popped up!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1988-kenworth-k100-cabover/6763951517.html

Looks like they haven't done anything to it besides put on their stickers. Too funny.

I don't want it back.

You don't want it, either.

94,000 original miles..??

I had recalled it being a bit over 100k, but yes. This thing got very few miles.

It was also a Cummins L10 not a 350, unless they swapped the engine.

Browsing back through this thread brought back a lot of memories.

Taking another look at the ad on CraigsList, it looks like the new owners added a chrome front bumper (which helps the appearance a lot) and gave it a good exterior cleaning. I notice that they still have the Iowa plate on it (which theoretically should've gone back to the school, oops) which makes me wonder if they ever actually registered/titled it. They did put new tires on it and it looks like they also put new air hoses on for the trailer, so I'm assuming they did some level of towing with it (which was the story). It appears that no cleaning of the interior was done, at least nothing significant.

Reality is most of the memories that came back included a lot of nightmares, as this is the only vehicle I've owned that I am legitimately surprised nobody got hurt during my ownership of it. I learned a great deal and wouldn't say that I regret it, but if I could do it over again, I would've bought something else. Laurie has flat out said no more semis, unless our situation changes and there's an actual need for one, which I don't see happening. Reality is the Ram does everything we need it to wonderfully and without any questions of legality and with extreme practicality. Plus I can set the cruise at 85 and happily go down the road with it, something that this can't do at all.

Would I drive a semi again? You bet, given the opportunity. But I would prefer one that was better maintained.

It's been a year and a half since I sold the Kenworth. Laurie has (intelligently) prohibited me from buying another semi, but I still sometimes like to browse CraigsList just for fun. Look what popped up!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1988-kenworth-k100-cabover/6763951517.html

Looks like they haven't done anything to it besides put on their stickers. Too funny.

I don't want it back.

You don't want it, either.
I'm not a mechanic but I oversee the maintenance on a fleet of about 40 tractors and close to 200 trailers. When I look at that truck all I see is dollar signs. Lots and lots of dollar signs. And not in a good way.

I'm not a mechanic but I oversee the maintenance on a fleet of about 40 tractors and close to 200 trailers. When I look at that truck all I see is dollar signs. Lots and lots of dollar signs. And not in a good way.

Yes. Reality is that truck was largely original at 30 years old. I was surprised that it didn't have any big air leaks (no noticeable air leaks at all, actually), but to really make it a proper, safe, roadworthy vehicle would require a lot of work. At the very least I'd suggest going through the air system entirely (even though it didn't have any noticeable leaks), lots of new hoses, a thorough go-through of the brakes. New shocks, the moveable 5th wheel needs to get sorted out somehow. Don't forget a pretty complete redo on the interior. I also think there might've been something wrong with the engine given just how slow it was, but then again it was a <300 HP engine in an 18,000 lb truck, not exactly going to win any races.

It's possible that the folks who bought it did some level of mechanical work to it. They said they were going to start off with new tires and new brake shoes. My guess just looking at those pictures is they did a few things to clean it up and address the low hanging fruit, then they attached a trailer to it and found out that it's a complete gutless wonder with a top speed of 67 MPH and that's unloaded on level ground or downhill. After that it probably then sat around until they decided to sell it. They listed it as a Cummins 350 but unless they did an engine swap (which it doesn't look like they did) it's the <300 HP L10.

It's sort of in the wrong time period. It's not old enough to be a classic worthy of a restoration. It's not powerful enough to be useful for actually towing, or interesting enough for even a retro kind of person. Someone wanting to restore an old cabover is going to want an older K100 with a big cam Cummins 400, a Cat of some sort, or even an old 8/12V71/92. Really the one thing it made sense for was for teaching people how to drive a semi truck, which is what it did for me. The low miles are what give it appeal, but just like anything that's used for training it adds on the wear and tear a lot faster.

Honestly, I'd like to drive another, better semi just to shove the nightmares out of my head associated with this one. But I'm not going to go tire kicking for that.

If you've got the right rears and the right gears, lower horsepower can work for a lot of applications. But yeah, 300hp is going to be on the weak side no matter how you slice it unless you're pulling a very light specialty trailer. For sure no farmer is going to want it. 46k-50k in the box seems to more of a suggestion than any kind of limitation for those guys. Of course if you ask my drivers, they'll all tell you they need 600hp to pull 20k loads over flat ground and anything less is a waste of time. But they're not paying the fuel bill.

If you've got the right rears and the right gears, lower horsepower can work for a lot of applications. But yeah, 300hp is going to be on the weak side no matter how you slice it unless you're pulling a very light specialty trailer. For sure no farmer is going to want it. 46k-50k in the box seems to more of a suggestion than any kind of limitation for those guys. Of course if you ask my drivers, they'll all tell you they need 600hp to pull 20k loads over flat ground and anything less is a waste of time. But they're not paying the fuel bill.

Certainly more horsepower is always nice to have. The K100's power was "adequate" for it by itself, but even unloaded up a slight incline it started slowing down if in top gear. Reality is it wouldn't have even towed that RD7 dozer I was looking at very well I don't think.

With how my driveway is, the Ram with the 25' pintle hook trailer is about as big as I could do. A gooseneck might let me get a bit longer and still get in and out of the driveway, but 25' and 14k rating is fine.

Certainly more horsepower is always nice to have. The K100's power was "adequate" for it by itself, but even unloaded up a slight incline it started slowing down if in top gear.
Pretty much all semi trucks do that. Its one of the reasons guys like 13 speeds instead of the standard 10, lots of choices to keep the rpm in the power band.

Pretty much all semi trucks do that. Its one of the reasons guys like 13 speeds instead of the standard 10, lots of choices to keep the rpm in the power band.

Well, I'm talking about starting off in top gear at 2200 RPM, which was redline. It was already putting out all the power it could put out. :)

Maybe they all do that, too, and I'm just not used to it. The Freightliner tow truck rig with a Detroit Series 60 and a 15-speed felt a LOT more powerful. They also said they'd chipped that engine and it was in the 600+ HP range.

Yeah 2200 rpm is screaming. I have the telematics set in most of our trucks to record anything over 1700 as an over-rev, then we look at the data when bonus time comes. But we also have them geared so they're turning around 1500 @ 65mph. Spin them much more than that and the fuel economy goes in the dumpster. Given the year of the truck, I'd bet what you had was built to go 55 and it'd probably do just fine running that speed as long as you're not trying to pull anvils over the rockies.

Yeah 2200 rpm is screaming. I have the telematics set in most of our trucks to record anything over 1700 as an over-rev, then we look at the data when bonus time comes. But we also have them geared so they're turning around 1500 @ 65mph. Spin them much more than that and the fuel economy goes in the dumpster. Given the year of the truck, I'd bet what you had was built to go 55 and it'd probably do just fine running that speed as long as you're not trying to pull anvils over the rockies.

I agree that 55 was probably about where the truck was intended to be in those days. At 60 it would still slow down on even the slightest uphill (I started the drive home at 60). Keep in mind the L10 was designed as a gutless wonder, and at only 10L or so pretty much was fine screaming all day at 2200 RPM. I'd expect on your trucks (which I assume are newer and more powerful as a rule) that the 1500 RPM sounds right.

I was still getting low double digits bob tailing home, I think around 12. I was surprised at how good the economy was, I was expecting mid to high single digits.

With 300hp and no exhaust filtering, 12mpg sounds about right. It ain't gonna do that with a heavy trailer on the back though. :D

One of my coworkers is thinking of buying a place with 5-10 acres out not too far from me. So I pointed him towards a semi truck that he should absolutely not buy. :D

I ended up not ever hooking up a trailer to that thing so I can't say what it would do. As I explained to my coworker, if I were to do this again, I think I would go for a day cab with a single rear axle and as short of a wheelbase as I could find. If I had done that paired with a "short" (for a semi) trailer, I think that I could've actually gotten it in my driveway fine and it would've been workable.

Of course, that wouldn't have given me a pickup bed nor the crew cab (and thus the ability to fit 3 car seats across the back). Hence why I told him he should just go buy a 1-ton truck.

Meh... I have a million miles under my belt, in Freightshakers, Kenworths, Volvos, Macks, Internationals, etc...

Ted let me drive this one, and to call it pokey would be charitable. It's the only one I've ever driven that couldn't bobtail uphill and hold 60 mph. We're not talking about 6% grades, either...

Sure was fun, though, and it has the most badass steering wheel ever.

As someone who has driven them as my job, and has managed the fleet and its maintenance as my job, and has thus seen and approved every maintenance invoice as my job, I struggle to understand why anyone would ever want to own and maintain any kind of semi for any application where a pickup will do. But that's just me.

Actually that's not entirely true. Since I drive a desk now, I usually jump at the chance every time I have to grab a set of keys and go play with a truck for a while. Even more so when its going to have a 53' box hooked to it. But yeah, about the only way I'd consider owning any semi for a toy is if I had Gulfstream V grade FU money and could afford to own something brand new and keep it under cover when parked.

Ted? You keep talking about this driveway restriction ... you have a bulldozer ... fix it! :D

Ted let me drive this one, and to call it pokey would be charitable. It's the only one I've ever driven that couldn't bobtail uphill and hold 60 mph. We're not talking about 6% grades, either...

Sure was fun, though, and it has the most badass steering wheel ever.

I would've pulled that steering wheel off and put the old one back on if the old one hadn't gotten destroyed in its removal. I was tempted to find another steering wheel and swap out anyway just for the cool factor of that wheel, but it just wasn't worth it since I have no other vehicles I could put that badass wheel on. Don't forget the suicide knob!

00N0N_iaCgzhWgvF7_1200x900.jpg

After you drove it and confirmed just how anemic it really was, I started to wonder if it had some issue like the turbo being seized up or broken. The white smoke it made sometimes made me also wonder if there was some sort of injector issue, although it started up great. At 30 years and under 100k miles of easy use, the rings may not have even ever seated correctly, who knows.

As someone who has driven them as my job, and has managed the fleet and its maintenance as my job, and has thus seen and approved every maintenance invoice as my job, I struggle to understand why anyone would ever want to own and maintain any kind of semi for any application where a pickup will do. But that's just me.

Actually that's not entirely true. Since I drive a desk now, I usually jump at the chance every time I have to grab a set of keys and go play with a truck for a while. Even more so when its going to have a 53' box hooked to it. But yeah, about the only way I'd consider owning any semi for a toy is if I had Gulfstream V grade FU money and could afford to own something brand new and keep it under cover when parked.

I think most people who live in the semi truck world or have lived in it (perhaps with the exception of Kent) have a similar sentiment of wondering why people would want to do something like this "for fun" when a normal pickup could do the job. For me it was satisfying that boyhood want of playing with real Tonka toys and enjoying driving something bigger/new/more interesting more than anything else. There's an enjoyment of big displacement, low RPM engines, and driving something that is intimidating to many. Plus the sound of a big diesel engine.

Practical reasons for doing it? That part is pretty hard. There's a company in Canada that converts Volvo VNLs to single axle and their advertised use is for people who want to haul giant 5th wheel travel trailers, basically making the argument that with the semi you've got something that's much more capable/comfortable/safer. I somewhat wonder on that one. The largest I've ever towed is a 28' enclosed trailer with my old 2004 Ram. I had no problems towing it at 75+ MPH, although I didn't have it supremely heavily loaded. My friend who then borrowed my truck to haul that same (heavily overloaded) trailer was going around 55-60, which sounds right.

Towing my Cat D4 with my 1-ton Ram on my trailer (14k lb rating, pintle ring) I did find that 60-65 MPH was about all it could do comfortably suspension wise. Of course, my trailer is pretty high up so that contributed to it, and it's not a gooseneck or a 5th wheel.

The way I justified the idea in my head was that I wanted to get something with better towing capability than my Ram for a lower investment. I think that could've been done by itself just fine had I purchased a shorter wheelbase, single axle truck, and then a pretty short trailer, although that still would've been tight getting into my driveway. The reality is my Ram is more practical in every way, shape, and form possible. As for the sound, it doesn't have the sound I'd like right now, but at some point I figure I'll fix that with a 5" exhaust. I'm trying to wait until warranty is up on that but I may have a hard time waiting that long.

I justified the particular truck because I wanted a sleeper (the kids had fun riding in the back of it, as did friends), the "shorter" wheelbase of the cabover (which really was still pretty long... not sure why that frame was as long as it was), and it was "newer" at an '88 which I figured would make it easier to learn my way through.

If I were to get another big truck of some sort, I'd go for it just as something fun to drive around, and I'd go for something fun. Older, 2-stick (Spicer 16-speed sounds like a fun one to conquer), straight pipe exhaust. Seems the older I get the older of stuff I like. Even the Cobra seems like it's a bit on the new side.

Ted? You keep talking about this driveway restriction ... you have a bulldozer ... fix it! :D

Certainly I could move things around with the dozer. Problem is that it would also change a lot of the aesthetics of our property, and keep in mind we're doing this on our property. The driveway has a bend in it (helps privacy with some trees/bushes/etc.). Really I wouldn't want to change that around, so we stick with what we got unless we add another driveway on one of the sides. That could be feasible and maintain privacy, but there's a significant amount of work that goes with that.

Back in the late 70s for one summer I drove a Mack dump truck that had the Rolls Canardly engine and transmission combination.

It had a 250 HP or less motor with a 7 speed transmission. No split nothing, just 7 forward gears. It was built in the 55 MPH national speed limit and the only way to hold 55 was when empty, on flat ground or downhill. The worst part was it had to slow down to around 40-45 before being able to downshift to 6th gear.

Back in the late 70s for one summer I drove a Mack dump truck that had the Rolls Canardly engine and transmission combination.

It had a 250 HP or less motor with a 7 speed transmission. No split nothing, just 7 forward gears. It was built in the 55 MPH national speed limit and the only way to hold 55 was when empty, on flat ground or downhill. The worst part was it had to slow down to around 40-45 before being able to downshift to 6th gear.

The main reason I wanted the 13-speed was for the extra gears. You know, more buttons/levers/etc. For bobtail driving in the flatlands there really wasn't a need for it, but if I were to be towing any kind of load (you know, like my kid's Power Wheels) those gears would've been very helpful. The way I normally drove it I only used 9 out of the 13 gears (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13). Who knows whether @flyingcheesehead just never drove something quite so underpowered or there was something wrong with the engine that prevented it from making full power. When I was watching YouTube videos and reading reports on the Cummins L10, everyone said how underpowered it was. I imagine Kent's employers bought engines that had at least 350 HP or more, so probably 100 HP or more above what I had, assuming I was making rated power.

If you ever take the plunge again, look for a 4x4. I have driven both the two stick a d air shift variety, what a blast

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you ever take the plunge again, look for a 4x4. I have driven both the two stick a d air shift variety, what a blast

As I get older I find that I like things that are older. So what's appealing to me in terms of another semi would be some sort of older (40s through early 60s) KW or Pete, ideally with an air locking differential, 2-speed rear axle, and 2-stick transmission (Spicer 16-speed sounds good).

Maybe a restoration like that someday, but for now I've got the Cobra to finish, a lot of other projects around the house as well. Oh, and I have zero use for a semi, and Laurie's not too keen on another after how the first one went. So it's fun to think about as a "maybe someday" item.

Dreams are made of the thought, What if?

Hey, you all have a great Christmas, love you guys.

Dreams are made of the thought, What if?

Hey, you all have a great Christmas, love you guys.

Likewise, Tim :)

I've skipped this thread until now, and so now with your indulgence I'll share my semi driving experience. It's not an exciting story. I drove for a few years, never bent anything, and quit when licensing laws changed in beginning of the CDL era.

My dad owned a 125+ employee commercial and industrial sheet metal business, with a 50,000 SF fab shop. He did jobs from Portland to Chicago, and when I was fifteen he purchased an International CO-4070 cabover tractor and a 48' birdcage trailer. At that time I had had a driver's license for about six months, but because of growing up in the desert SW, I had been driving since I was eleven. My grandmother was my first instructor.

The shop was on the SE side of Albuquerque, just a hundred yards from the perimeter fence of Kirtland AFB. I grew up on a steady diet of Century Series fighters along with the B-47, -52, and -58 flying overhead in the downwind leg of the pattern, but that's another story.

Since sheet metal work takes up a lot of space without weight, his guys perfected the art of making knocked down ductwork and fittings so they could pack the trailer up to the weight limit. The largest truck he owned before the 4070 was an extended wheelbase Ford F-750 cabover, with a birdcage body and pulling a 40' triple axle birdcage trailer.

I had driven that around town and to jobs on the Indian reservations west of Albuquerque. I started out slow at first with the 4070, going over to the shop on Saturdays when no one was around, and took just the tractor out for drives. It had a turbocharged Caterpillar 3406 and a 13 speed Fuller transmission, and it was a blast to go through all those gears. After a while I became confident enough to take it out with the trailer attached.

After my dad gave me some training on how to drive the truck ( :D ), over the next few years I drove the rig to Alamogordo, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, and Farmington delivering loads of ductwork. When I turned eighteen, I tested for and received my New Mexico Chauffeur's license, which was what the state termed the unlimited heavy truck license.

He sold the business when I was twenty, and I moved to Texas. When I was at the DMV getting a Texas driver's license, the lady that was helping me asked if I wanted to take the test for a Texas Class A license, which allowed me to drive eighteen wheelers with a 48' trailer and the maximum gross weight allowed. I did, and passed the test, which was pretty easy. I kept the Class A license until the adaptation of the nationwide CDL licensing scheme.

Since I had no reason to be driving an 18 wheeler, I didn't apply for the CDL. Part of that was because the penalties which could be assessed against a CDL holder for traffic violations, even if one was driving a personal vehicle. I could lose my driver's license if I was found speeding over a certain amount or driving with a BAC over .04%. That was three or maybe just two beers in a 30 or 45 minute period, and there were occasions were I would stop at an ice house after a hot day at work and drink a couple with coworkers.

This all sounds a bit fantastic when one considers all of the limitations and oversight that truckers receive today, but back then there were no weigh stations except near the state borders, and I drove very carefully to avoid interaction with state troopers. New Mexico was run pretty loosely back then. I remember reading there was just one trooper for every 150 miles of major state highways. I was aware of the consequences that might occur if I had an accident of any sort, and drove accordingly. I always thought it was fun to drive a big rig.

Hell, it had an air horn. :D

I owned a 1977 Peterbilt 352 Cabover. Not many CO’s around anymore since all states use the same length limit. Drove that in 48 states hauling computers and displays from 78 through 82. Computers were like refrigerators back then. I drove on and off until 8 years ago - I am a teacher so driving the big rigs was my summer job. I loved the road - maybe do it again when I retire from teaching. I’m a big Peterbilt fan. Mine was all an aluminum cab. Slept many nights in my Pete!

@3393RP my mom used to talk about a chauffeur’s license, although it didn’t exist by the time I was learning to drive.

Your story is similar to what I did with my semi, although if I were to do it again I’d get a CDL. The extra penalties even when driving personal vehicles could be a deterrent, but I do (mostly) follow speed limits now.

never heard of it ..then this thread popped up

@3393RP my mom used to talk about a chauffeur’s license, although it didn’t exist by the time I was learning to drive.

Your story is similar to what I did with my semi, although if I were to do it again I’d get a CDL. The extra penalties even when driving personal vehicles could be a deterrent, but I do (mostly) follow speed limits now.
Yeah. Traffic fines are doubled. Ask me how I know.

Back