Drinking & College Games (Moved out of Va Tech thread)

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Re: Shootings at VT!

No matter how bad you feel drinking PBR is just plain wrong!

When you're a college kid, cheap beer is good. After all, after the first pitcher, who cares what kind of beer you rent. :D

When I was in school, PBR was always the offering on buck-a-pitcher night. I still have vivid memories of watching 64-ounce chugging contests at Greeks or Greeks Cellar.... Not that I ever participated, mind you. :rolleyes:

When you're a college kid, cheap beer is good. After all, after the first pitcher, who cares what kind of beer you rent. :D

When I was in school, PBR was always the offering on buck-a-pitcher night. I still have vivid memories of watching 64-ounce chugging contests at Greeks or Greeks Cellar.... Not that I ever participated, mind you. :rolleyes:

some of us college kids have standards... PBR = *shudder*

There was a place we went to in school, $2 cover, $1 pitchers all night. Real, full sized pitchers. A $5 spot normally left you finding a crumpled up dollar or two in your jeans pocket the next afternoon. Yea, breakfast money.

There was a place we went to in school, $2 cover, $1 pitchers all night. Real, full sized pitchers. A $5 spot normally left you finding a crumpled up dollar or two in your jeans pocket the next afternoon. Yea, breakfast money.

Ah, so you were one of those that succeeded in the chugging? :D It was tradition that anyone that succeeded in chugging the pitcher in less than 45 seconds got that pitcher and the next one free. At a buck per, college students could afford to pony up.

Ah, so you were one of those that succeeded in the chugging? :D It was tradition that anyone that succeeded in chugging the pitcher in less than 45 seconds got that pitcher and the next one free. At a buck per, college students could afford to pony up.

64oz, 28 seconds. MassMOCA Boat Race team captain and champion, 6 events running.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who is far enough away from these events to discuss them

Ah, so you were one of those that succeeded in the chugging? :D

Not really chugging, remember, we were engineering geeks. We found much more geeky ways to pound beer.

Example:

Take a standard drinking straw, melt it with a Bic about 1.5" from one end, when the bottom side melts (but don't melt the top!), bend that top 1.5 stub down to form a 45 angle with the rest of the straw, it should form a leak free seal. If done correctly, the long end just reaches the bottom of a 7oz pony bottle with the stub hanging down from the top of the bottle.

Insert bottle in mouth with breather straw sticking out of the corner of your mouth, and when in good form, 0.8sec later the beer is gone.

One day, my friend John and I bought a case of rocks (24 7oz Rolling Rock ponys), and set it down on a table in the 'skeller, and took an opener and opened all 24 bottles. Timer set, each with a straw at the ready, we put that case down in 56 seconds.

There was much rejoicing (and belching).

That would kill me today...

Note to self....

Copy and paste Bill's post into Word and print for later reference...:cheers:

Not really chugging, remember, we were engineering geeks. We found much more geeky ways to pound beer.

Example:

Take a standard drinking straw, melt it with a Bic about 1.5" from one end, when the bottom side melts (but don't melt the top!), bend that top 1.5 stub down to form a 45 angle with the rest of the straw, it should form a leak free seal. If done correctly, the long end just reaches the bottom of a 7oz pony bottle with the stub hanging down from the top of the bottle.

Insert bottle in mouth with breather straw sticking out of the corner of your mouth, and when in good form, 0.8sec later the beer is gone.

One day, my friend John and I bought a case of rocks (24 7oz Rolling Rock ponys), and set it down on a table in the 'skeller, and took an opener and opened all 24 bottles. Timer set, each with a straw at the ready, we put that case down in 56 seconds.

Bill, I knew I liked you for a reason...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Example:

We were engineering geeks, too. But some of the guys just made us find the easiest way to down the beer. The Industrial/operations engineers in the group spoilt some of the fun. :D

As a project in one class, we did an analysis of potential sites for a brewery. We chose a site on the New River, not far from campus. Found out about 3 months later that the site was one of three finalists for a new Coors plant. They didn't build there, but wow, what a ready market.

Example:

Wow! That's great!

The worst we did was take a defenseman's lacrosse stick (hollow, close to 6' without the head on it) and pour beer through it. It was like drinking out of a pressure washer!

The worst we did was take a defenseman's lacrosse stick (hollow, close to 6' without the head on it) and pour beer through it. It was like drinking out of a pressure washer!

Nah, we used the lacrosse sticks for launching water baloons out of the 6th floor dorm window, across the parking lot, and into the open convertibles of the guys picking up formal dates in front of the sorority dorm.

Gawd, the look on their faces were priceless as they came out to find a totally wet car, baloon casings lying about, and no way to tell where they came from. Those were the days...:rofl:

Nah, we used the lacrosse sticks for launching water baloons out of the 6th floor dorm window, across the parking lot, and into the open convertibles of the guys picking up formal dates in front of the sorority dorm.

Gawd, the look on their faces were priceless as they came out to find a totally wet car, baloon casings lying about, and no way to tell where they came from. Those were the days...:rofl:

Potato cannons were more fun...

Potato cannons were more fun...

8 cops raiding the fire department at midnight with pump action water bazookas in a "tactical" type raid and watching sleepy fireman try to scurry for cover was fun too..but I can't blame that on college antics (or alcohol). :D

Some of the most outrages drinking parties I ever went to were "Choir Practices" of off duty cops.. it's scary. :D

Some of the most outrages drinking parties I ever went to were "Choir Practices" of off duty cops.. it's scary. :D

I used to be "regular" at a local watering hole here, and another regular was a cop. He would sometimes get a little toasty and then get in his vette and drive up and down the street in front of the bar at well over the speed limit until another cop would give chase. He would finally pull over in front of the bar, have a chat with the other officers, and come back into the bar. All just to entertain his drinking buddies! :eek::eek:

I'll have to look for this as it is only paper and perhaps scan it in. But some of my proudest drinking exploits were after missions at the Bravo bar at RAF Mildenhall.

Ron do you ever attend any?

In the early 80's they were very wild. Eventually the exploits came to lite in a person's courts martial (he was stealing from base housing to feed a drug habit-idiot) and the resulting outrage meant that President Ron Reagan had to issue and apology for our drunken debouches to then PM Margaret Thatcher.

If I can find the article I'll let it speak for itself.

Ahh to be in my 20's single and overseas. ;)

Last edited:

I used to be "regular" at a local watering hole here, and another regular was a cop. He would sometimes get a little toasty and then get in his vette and drive up and down the street in front of the bar at well over the speed limit until another cop would give chase. He would finally pull over in front of the bar, have a chat with the other officers, and come back into the bar. All just to entertain his drinking buddies! :eek::eek:

In the "old" days, you could get away with that. My rookie year, I watched a fellow officer lead troopers on a two county chase in his uncle's porche just for the fun of it. Now that'll get you arrested, hand cuffed and stuffed in to the back of a patrol car faster than you can say "I'm Police". And rightly so.

Thankfully most of the wild and wooly choir practices I've attended have had plenty of designated drivers and were at remote locations as to not disturb the neighbors. And guns were checked at the door. I usually end up as one of the designated drivers... being the only sober one there makes for lots of "blackmail" worthy info if only I were inclined to use it. :D

How did a thread about a tragic loss of life turn into drunken revelry?

How did a thread about a tragic loss of life turn into drunken revelry?
crossed my mind yesterday too. thread creep is an amazing thing. gotta love webboard dynamics.

How about we split the drinking games off into a separate thread. Or start a new one about the tragedy.

Now that the thread has split, I can tout (without feeling bad) my Albuquerque Record Setting!!!! 1:32 Kegstand.

Many have tried, all have failed. All hail the teenaged Nick.

Now that the thread has split, I can tout (without feeling bad) my Albuquerque Record Setting!!!! 1:32 Kegstand.

Many have tried, all have failed. All hail the teenaged Nick.

Gastons Gastons Gastons!!! Go Nick.

Back