AlphaWhiskey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlphaWhiskey
Would like input on finding a plane to meet these parameters:

At least 4 seats
Part 23 certified (not a kit)
Still in production new (but no STC required)
At least 190 knots cruise
Takeoff and land on 1800 foot runway, no obstacles on either end

Can be a piston or tubine, single or twin
Let's pretend price is no object

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Thanks Ron, you're quick, and I love the idea. So the published runway specs on the PC12 are 2650 ft with 50 ft obstacle. Is 1800 ft without obstacle enough (I couldn't find a published no obstacle number)? Do you (or anyone else) know folks who feel comfortable operating on an 1800 ft field with a PC12?
Thanks again all!

At least 4 seats

190kt cruise and certified current production... 58 Baron is pushing it for 190kt cruise, maybe with turbos it can get the TAS at altitude, with a TAT 36 Bo you might get it too, but you won't be looking pretty on 1800' on a summer day with the seats filled. Malibu I'm not familiar enough with to make the call on 1800'. Can't think of any there current production pistons. Turbine the obvious is the Pilatus PC-12, you can even get the exec interior with enclosed Lav. There is the King Air 90 series, I would think one of those can fill the roll. Do they make a new Twin Otter again? Lot more than 4 seats lol. I would suppose you can operate the TBMs off 1800' but not sure.

Short requires high power/weight ratios for acceleration. The higher the top speed the more acceleration typically required before coming unstuck, therefore more runway. You're looking at a 600hp minimum requirement.

Thanks Ron, you're quick, and I love the idea. So the published runway specs on the PC12 are 2650 ft with 50 ft obstacle. Is 1800 ft without obstacle enough (I couldn't find a published no obstacle number)? Do you (or anyone else) know folks who feel comfortable operating on an 1800 ft field with a PC12?
Thanks again all!

Ground roll is 1475ft for a PC-12NG, per Pilatus.

At least 4 seats

Cirrus SR22T, Diamond D42 TDI, Tecnam P2010, Piper Seminole, Cessna Corvalis and soon the Pipistrel Panthera

Cirrus SR22T, Diamond D42 TDI, Tecnam P2010, Piper Seminole, Cessna Corvalis and soon the Pipistrel Panthera

Seminole for sure doesn't do 190kts, I don't think the Diamond 42 does either.

And of those, only the latest SR22Ts and the Panthera (if it meets specs) are actual four seaters with a reasonable amount of fuel. A turbo Seminole with speed mods might hit 190, and the P2010 is not worth considering if speed matters--a 172XP can match them for speed!

Additionally, the Corvallis (TTx) won't do 1800 feet at gross with ISA conditions, and I'm skeptical about some of the others doing it with a margin most pilots would want.

As mentioned above, the PC-12 is built for this mission. 4 plus significant baggage is still well under gross so you should be able to manage an 1800 foot strip even on a hot summer day!

With the -135 engines a King Air C90 might be an option. Its physically possible to get a lower power one off in that distance, but I wouldn't want to try.

Last edited:
The "Current Production" requirement is pretty limiting.

Strike that one, get a Beech 18, and arrive and depart in class.

Seminole for sure doesn't do 190kts, I don't think the Diamond 42 does either.

I saw a Piper Seminole spec with 186KTAS at max cruise. But okay, scratch that, make it the Piper Seneca V, 200KTAS max cruise.

The Diamond DA42 with the Austro AE 300 turbocharged engines has a 197KTAS max cruise.

Back