Draft plan norcal to Oregon

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
For the trip with my dad he cannot handle too long so I am taking him to Oregon weather permitting before heading to New Mexico. Here is what I have so far to fly from the bay area to Oregon

KRHV KOVE CIC KRBL KRDD 40.924N/122.403W 1O6 O46 KSIY S03 KMFR 3S8 KRBG KEUG KAST

Mine would look closer to KRHV KAST dodging airspace and terrain as and if required.

If the Dolphin MOA is not active then a transition via approach should make it fairly straight forward to avoiding airspace SUA issues as well as terrain.

Don't be too afraid of MOA's...VFR pilots ARE permitted through them even if they ARE hot. Not to often they are and ATC will advise you.

I am not one to go plowing through and disrupt a military exercise just cuz I can...but if you are planning on using FF, I would plot right through them and ATC will let ya know if it is safer to stay outta the way and provide vectors around if needed.

For the trip with my dad he cannot handle too long so I am taking him to Oregon weather permitting before heading to New Mexico. Here is what I have so far to fly from the bay area to Oregon

KRHV KOVE CIC KRBL KRDD 40.924N/122.403W 1O6 O46 KSIY S03 KMFR 3S8 KRBG KEUG KAST

About 10 days ago I flew from KHRV to 77S (Creswell, OR - near KEUG) and used this simple route:

KRHV O88 1O6 77S

No terrain over 6000 and no SUAs. I climbed to 6500 and stayed there till near Shasta, where I climbed to 8500. So other than during my departure from KRHV the route was entirely in Class E (and G). This is the actual track I recorded using CloudAhoy:

http://www.cloudahoy.com/3/CA3.htm?1403834764#Ag7RJ73gfjWqiw4

If the Dolphin MOA is not active then a transition via approach should make it fairly straight forward to avoiding airspace SUA issues as well as terrain.

The Dolphin MOA floors are at 11,000, so unless you intend to fly high they are of no concern. Only the Whitmore and Goose MOAs in the northeast part of California are at altitudes that would be of concern, but your route is not near them.

Last edited:
I'm based at RHV as well. Howdy neighbor. I would probably go the coastal route, in fact that's what I usually do.

KRHV-KLVK-CCR-ENI-FOT-ACV-S51-4S1-OTH-ONP-KAST

You can do the trip at 6,500', it'll be cooler, smoother air, and more scenic.

Thanks this is very helpful and looks like a good trip weather permitting.

RHV - O85 - 1O6 - MFR - RBG - CVO - AST (basically following I-5 until Corvallis) = 544 nm

KRHV-KLVK-CCR-ENI-FOT-ACV-S51-4S1-OTH-ONP-KAST = 568 nm. Scenic, but emergency landing opportunities are few and far between along the northern California coast, and weather is often iffy.

Arcata, for example, has on average 265 IFR days per year.

Awesome million thanks guys I really appreciate it and am flexible to have fun and be safe.

Back