DPE choices

Flymeariver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I am just about ready for my IR checkride. Apparently the club has several DPE's they use frequently, but have had one guy also go to the same DPE I did my Private with. Is there any advantage to using the same DPE as my previous ride VS using someone else? All are within a 45 minute flight.

Did you work well with your DPE? Does your instructor have a recommendation? In theory, they should all be the same...but they're not.

Did you work well with your DPE? Does your instructor have a recommendation? In theory, they should all be the same...but they're not.

The DPE was great and learned a bit from him. The instructor has more or less gave several names and left at that. The one guy in NJ they recommended had a reputation for high failures until he started doing meetings two days prior and laying the ride out.

The DPE was great and learned a bit from him. The instructor has more or less gave several names and left at that. The one guy in NJ they recommended had a reputation for high failures until he started doing meetings two days prior and laying the ride out.

Then go with the known quantity, even if you have to fly to him.

Is there any advantage to using the same DPE as my previous ride VS using someone else?
The biggest barrier to success on a practical test is applicant apprehension. If you feel comfortable with the DPE with whom you did your PP, that can significantly reduce your tension level versus the uncertainty of dealing with someone new. OTOH, if the PP ride was a nightmare, you probably don't want to repeat that experience, and would be better with an unknown quantity than a known terror. Beyond that, it doesn't matter much.

I agree with C'Ron. If your prepared well, you can do it with any examiner. Obviously familiarity with a certain examiner allows the instructor to simulate the practice checkride with more in common to what you actually will get. Of course, we paid a social call on the DPE I was to use mostly on the guise of asking his weight and if he wanted me to do anything in advance on the ride. He tipped his hand a little as to the nature of the ride, but frankly it was sort of obvious that since we were doing the checkride out of the only airport in the area that had an ILS and it also had several other type approaches, that many or not all of the approaches would be done there. I got very familiar with all the approaches at that airport.

Thanks guys, Im sure Ill do fine either way, I appreciate the thoughts. CapNRon, the two choices Ive narrowed is Frank Phillips (previous Ride) or Dennis in NJ.

CapNRon, the two choices Ive narrowed is Frank Phillips (previous Ride) or Dennis in NJ.
I've known Frank a long time, and he gives an absolutely fair by-the-book test. It will take longer than most, but there will be no surprises. Give me a call some evening (410-430-4078) and I can give you a good briefing on exactly how he runs his IR practical test.

I don't know any DPE's named Dennis in NJ, but are you actually referring to Dennis Einstein in Wilmington DE just across the river from NJ? If so, his procedures are a bit unusual (including refusing to accept any out-of-state, i.e., non-Delaware, checks), but not a problem if you know what to expect. Again, call me for details.

I don't know any DPE's named Dennis in NJ, but are you actually referring to Dennis Einstein in Wilmington DE just across the river from NJ? If so, his procedures are a bit unusual (including refusing to accept any out-of-state, i.e., non-Delaware, checks), but not a problem if you know what to expect. Again, call me for details.

Hmmm that may be him. Had the highest failure rate and people stopped using him? Ill shoot you a call next week. Thanks Ron :)

Back