Download Approach Plates

Mark,

It was me. Incomplete updating script. Hopefully this will be all automatic and correct before the next one.

It's fixed now I believe.

Joe
Joe, same selections as before. Result:

FAA Docs - Error Message
Search::EncodeResults: Missing required field tdocn

I signed up but it never sent me a confirmation email. Now I can't log in, and I can't create another user with that same email address. Can you bump it to send me the email?

cervelorod at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Rod

Joe, same selections as before. Result:

FAA Docs - Error Message
Search::EncodeResults: Missing required field tdocn

Arggghh

Try it now.

This one is has to do with a change in the way deleted plates get handled. They stay in the database for one cycle but don't have an associated pdf file. The wierd error message is geek speak for "Joe is a moran and he didn't update everything having to do with the change".

I test on my system and the public one is on Jesse's server. I guess I need a better test plan for the public server.

Joe

I signed up but it never sent me a confirmation email. Now I can't log in, and I can't create another user with that same email address. Can you bump it to send me the email?

cervelorod at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Rod

Rod,

I activated your account. You should be able to log in with the username/password you registered with.

I'm trying to figure out why you didn't get an email

Joe

Joe, here's one - I don't know whether you can or want to do anything about it:

State: MO
Approach Type: Not GPS Only
Added, Changed, Deleted checked.

When you get the list, click "select all" and then "download."

Result:
==============================

FAA Docs - Error Message

List item has no document number, we should look it up

Here's what happened. There are a group of procedures that were deleted in this cycle, so, of course, when I tried to download after "Select All" it tried to download documents that did not exist - hence the error. Is there a way to set it up so that there is no checkbox associated with a deleted document?

Completely different item:
What would be involved in being able to select multiple states at one time?

(BTW, I did software testing for 10 years - I was famous for finding more ways to break it than anyone else :) )

Last edited:
Joe, here's one - I don't know whether you can or want to do anything about it:

State: MO
Approach Type: Not GPS Only
Added, Changed, Deleted checked.

When you get the list, click "select all" and then "download."

Result:

FAA Docs - Error Message

List item has no document number, we should look it up

Good catch. While tracking that down I found other problems with my handling of deleted plates and the "Not GPS Only" search.
I fixed the problem with downloading a list that contains deleted plates, but I still have a bogus link for individual plates. It will be fixed soon.

The Not GPS Only search is now limited to IAPs. I may add another selection for Not RNAV Only DPs.

midlifeflyer said:
Completely different item:
What would be involved in being able to select multiple states at one time?
I'm off to the airport for a full day of students. I think it will be straightforward to allow multiple selections in the State Pull Down Menu and add that to the search criteria. I'll look into it as soon as I can, Sunday at the latest.

midlifeflyer said:
(BTW, I did software testing for 10 years - I was famous for finding more ways to break it than anyone else :) )
You still are.

Joe

The Not GPS Only search is now limited to IAPs. I may add another selection for Not RNAV Only DPs.
Hate to say this, but I like it the other way. :( ;)

As you can tell from the issues I've been raising, I run an update for things that have changed since the last revision - and use that as the "Cheap Pilot Chart Update" service. The way it's been working, with one click of the submit button, I get all the IAPs, SIDs, STARS, etc for the state, except the GPS-only ones I don't care about (for now).

I can see why it might overkill for others, though. What if the "Type of Procedure" drop-down were also capable multiple selection?

New version is up there. Reminds me I should change Version numbers now that it is [marginally] useful.

This one allow you to select multiple states when selecting Terminal Procedures. I'll add that to the AFD soon.

It also handles deleted procedures better. Now you can not select them and they don't have bogus links to give you an error message if you try to download them.

I think I have a better way to handle this. See below.

midlifeflyer said:
As you can tell from the issues I've been raising, I run an update for things that have changed since the last revision - and use that as the "Cheap Pilot Chart Update" service. The way it's been working, with one click of the submit button, I get all the IAPs, SIDs, STARS, etc for the state, except the GPS-only ones I don't care about (for now).

I've been thinking about this one. I've wondered if the date printed on the side of the plate is a problem. If you know the current plate is the same as the last revision is it OK to use one that has dates in the past?

One of the things I've complained about Jeppesen's update is what a pain it is to keep the book up to date. I suppose it's different if it's a print and replace, the less hassle to print and punch makes up for searching through the book.

midlifeflyer said:
I can see why it might overkill for others, though. What if the "Type of Procedure" drop-down were also capable multiple selection?

I think I made a mistake with the "download list" feature. Instead of saving the list of plates it might be better to save the search parameters. I'm not sure of how to present it to the user, but I believe it will be much more useful. It would have advantages like:
  • Getting only the changed, deleted, or added plates.
  • If you have a list of airports/states... you'll see any new plates
  • The ability to combine searches without having very complicated options.
For the present time you can do a search save it to a Download List, then do another search and merge it with the pervious list. When you get everything you want, then download the list as one PDF.

I don't know, maybe just add the saved searches and keep the download list or get rid of the download list. I haven't made up my mind yet. I kind of like the ability to edit the list before making the big PDF.

Joe

I've been thinking about this one. I've wondered if the date printed on the side of the plate is a problem. If you know the current plate is the same as the last revision is it OK to use one that has dates in the past?
Considering that there is technically no Part 91 requirement for current charts to begin with (unless you fit into Subpart F) having a chart that is in fact current although it has an old date printed is no problem. That dating is a NACO thing - it really refers more to the date group the chart came from than the effective dates of the information on it. Jepp does it differently - you'll see some charts with very old dates on them.

It's the chart Amendment Number that tells you whether the information on the chart is current, not th NACO "it came out of this book" date.

Interesting aside is that, from time to time, even a chart identified as "changed" doesn't mean the prior one is no longer current. Some of those changes are formatting (a lot of those as NACO moved to its version of the Jepp "briefing strip™"

For the present time you can do a search save it to a Download List, then do another search and merge it with the pervious list. When you get everything you want, then download the list as one PDF.

I don't know, maybe just add the saved searches and keep the download list or get rid of the download list. I haven't made up my mind yet. I kind of like the ability to edit the list before making the big PDF.
I like the idea of the saved search parameters a lot, but you probably should not get rid of the ability to save and edit the list.

I tried the list merge. Seems to work pretty well, although it takes a lot of back and forth to get all the current IAPs, DPs, STARS, etc.

Thanks for all the hard work. This is really terrific.

It's back the other way. I'll make the approach type a multiple selection and if people want only IAPs they can do it that way.

Joe

PS Thank you for all the kind words. This is my first php/mysql production website I'm having fun.

Thank you Jesse for the bandwitdth!

Last edited:
OK, I'm trying the poa and dttpTester combination and it just asks for me to log in. Am I being a fumble fingers again?

Thanks.

OK, I'm trying the poa and dttpTester combination and it just asks for me to log in. Am I being a fumble fingers again?

Thanks.

Tried logging in with that procedure and was told to expect an email with further instructions, but it never came.

It's the chart Amendment Number that tells you whether the information on the chart is current, not th NACO "it came out of this book" date.

Interesting aside is that, from time to time, even a chart identified as "changed" doesn't mean the prior one is no longer current. Some of those changes are formatting (a lot of those as NACO moved to its version of the Jepp "briefing strip™"
Although this is not the main focus of this thread, having said it, I want to correct/clarify it.

"Amendment 3B" in two different revisions means that the approach procedure is the same. But the changed information might not be limited to formatting. For example, a change in the AWOS frequency for an airport may have changed. That would be reflected in the "new" chart but not necessarily change the Amendment Number. I just came across one of those in the May chart revisions for Colorado.

Thanks.
No. This is a 2-step process. poa is a general user name that gets you access to the site. Then you create a personal log-in by clicking on the "register as a new user" link.

Tried logging in with that procedure and was told to expect an email with further instructions, but it never came.
Chip,
I checked into this and you entered your email as ....@earthlink not as ...@earthlink.net so it couldn't send the email.

I added the .net and activated the user so you should be able to log in with the username/password you registered with.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Joe

Chip,
I checked into this and you entered your email as ....@earthlink not as ...@earthlink.net so it couldn't send the email.

I added the .net and activated the user so you should be able to log in with the username/password you registered with.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Joe

I'm in! Excellent piece of work, Joe.

Joe, I don't know if anyone has asked this, but in the AF/D downloader, is there any way to get the special notices that go with a particular airport?

Example: HXD has a special notice for landing pattern routes for noise abatement. Is there a way to get to them?

Thanks for your hard work!

Joe, I don't know if anyone has asked this, but in the AF/D downloader, is there any way to get the special notices that go with a particular airport?

Example: HXD has a special notice for landing pattern routes for noise abatement. Is there a way to get to them?

Thanks for your hard work!
Bill, are you referring to the second pages, etc? I was trying to pull up more data that might refer to noise abatement at some place a while back and although there was a continuation noted, there was no second page to access.

Bill, are you referring to the second pages, etc?

No, special notices are right after the last of the airports listed in the volume, I think the civilian/military crosslist comes first, then seaplane bases, then special notices. This is the page for HXD, and under airport remarks, there is a note: see special notices, and you have to look that up after the airport pages.

Attachments

• afd.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 5
No, special notices are right after the last of the airports listed in the volume, I think the civilian/military crosslist comes first, then seaplane bases, then special notices. This is the page for HXD, and under airport remarks, there is a note: see special notices, and you have to look that up after the airport pages.
Ok, that's different than what I encountered but still an issue. I believe it was HNL where there is a second page but it's not available on the NACO site that I can tell.

Ok, that's different than what I encountered but still an issue. I believe it was HNL where there is a second page but it's not available on the NACO site that I can tell.

If there is something on the NACO site I'm not downloading or any other reference I'll try to get it.

I THINK I have everything from the NACO site.

Joe

BTW, I apreciate all the kind words from people. It's a fun project for me. I use it a lot myself for studying a type of approach. It's my first "production" mysql/php website.

If there is something on the NACO site I'm not downloading or any other reference I'll try to get it.

Joe

BTW, I appreciate all the kind words from people. It's a fun project for me. I use it a lot myself for studying a type of approach. It's my first "production" mysql/php website.
Joe, it's not your program in this scenario. I was going directly to NACO to grab some A/FD pages. Simply, the second page isn't there.

The only page available on HNL:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/pdfs/pac_16_10MAY2007.pdf

Not the continuation at the bottom with no second page to be found.

OK, if I AFD search on HXD, I get the page for that airport. If I search on SC, I get all of the VOR's in SC followed by all of the airports. I still don't see a way to get the rest of the info in the AFD on screen.

Maybe an option to view ALL of the pages in a particular AFD?

Joe, how's the attempt to make the updating automatic going? Trying to keep up otherwise has got to be a pain.

Mark,

I've got the scripts written and sort of tested. I should have known it would be time to change over while I'm at Gaston's.

We're leaving tomorrow morning for home, I'll get the update done when I get home and hopefully it will be automatic from here on.

Joe

Great job Joe, I am getting an error when I try to open (not save) the file (There was a problem opening the document. The file can not be found). I just started to read the post so I am sorry if this was talked about before.

Thanks again Joe.

Bob

Great job Joe, I am getting an error when I try to open (not save) the file (There was a problem opening the document. The file can not be found). I just started to read the post so I am sorry if this was talked about before.

Thanks again Joe.

Bob
Bob,

If you can save it then open it and it works it must be a setting in your browser, or disk space (where you keep the temporary files).

From the server side there is no difference. We send the pdf file and the browser decides what to do with it.

If this is the case give us more details, like which browser, what OS....

If you can't do either, there's a problem so let me know what charts you are trying to download.

Joe

I can DL them fine so it must be my computer no big deal. one other question I need to first log on with poa and the password before I can log on with my new username and password is that normal?

Bob

I can DL them fine so it must be my computer no big deal. one other question I need to first log on with poa and the password before I can log on with my new username and password is that normal?
Yes, it's normal.

New plates are up albeit a few days late.

It is now a cron task so it should update automatically on 7/5 just after midnight.

Now to do the same for the AFD pages.

Joe

I think you mentioned this as a possible change: being able to save search parameters in addition to lists.

BTW, in terms of the lists themselves, do they update? In other words, if you pull up a existing list after a NACO update, can you download the new charts based on the old list?

I think you mentioned this as a possible change: being able to save search parameters in addition to lists.
I do intend to do that, I think it's a good feature. I will hopefully have it done in a few weeks.

BTW, in terms of the lists themselves, do they update? In other words, if you pull up a existing list after a NACO update, can you download the new charts based on the old list?
Yes, the list save airport id, procedure type, and procedure name for each chart and do a new search based on them. This handles the changed and deleted but not the added charts.

Joe

I'm trying to join the party, but for me no activation email either.

Ken,

I checked the mail logs and it was sent and accepted by yahoo at 8:32 CDT. I'm betting the spam filters got it. I wish I could figure out why.

I activated your account so you should be able to log in with the username and password you registered with.

Sorry I missed you at Gaston's.

Joe

I've moved the Approach Plate Database to another server (at my house) because we will be losing this one in a week or so.

All the data, accounts and saved download lists should be intact.

Until the new ip address propogates you'll see a redirect page. In a day or so it will be automatic.

This server does not have the bandwidth of the one Jesse donated so you will probably see a degredation in performance.

Joe

It is now a cron task so it should update automatically on 7/5 just after midnight.
Joe,

As far as I can tell, it didn't. A search for changed/added/deleted charts pulled up the June 7 set.

Joe,

As far as I can tell, it didn't. A search for changed/added/deleted charts pulled up the June 7 set.
sorry, I've been so busy I haven't been looking at it. I will deal with this tomorrow.

Damn I thought I had it.

Joe

Back