"Dot Com" call sign

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Travelling around Northwest Texas, I frequently hear ATC providing instructions to a flight with a callsign of "Dot Com".

Some of the other charter and part 135's in the area, I know of. But not finding info on anyone going by the moniker "Dot Com".

Anyone have more details?

I was flying south west of Dallas Saturday on my way to Houston and I heard that call sign a bunch of times. I was wondering who that was along with "cactus".

DotCom is a callsign that's been registered by FltPlan.com. For a fee, you can get them to give you a DocCom call sign that you can use, and thus hide yourself from the prying eyes of people looking for your N number on flight tracker websites.

http://flttrack.fltplan.com/fltbrief/January2012/fltbriefvol2.htm#3

Cactus is one of the regional airlines, can't recall which.

US Airways uses Cactus. It's a holdover from America West.

Thanks for asking this. I hear that a lot and wondered.

Tassie/tassey is FAA training flights. Sounds like "Cassie" sometimes. In dfw at least, they are in ATP Seminoles.

Think Sully, Hudson River, and Geese. It will click who Cactus is.
For context, "Cactus" was originally used by America West, which was based in Phoenix (thus the desert reference). America West was later absorbed into USAirways. USAirways inherited both the callsign and the "AWE" flight number abbreviation.

Last edited:
For context, "Cactus" was originally used by America West, which was based in Phoenix (thus the desert reference). America West was later absorbed into USAirways. USAirways inherited both the callsign and the "AWE" flight number abbreviation.

That is how the East sees it and has been a contentious point between the two groups.

I seem to recall reality being a bit closer to Doug Parker buying out US Airways. America West adopted the US Airways name for the international recognition and market that Parker was looking for. Headquarters remains in Tempe, AZ where it started with America West.

That is how the East sees it and has been a contentious point between the two groups.

I seem to recall reality being a bit closer to Doug Parker buying out US Airways. America West adopted the US Airways name for the international recognition and market that Parker was looking for. Headquarters remains in Tempe, AZ where it started with America West.
Thanks for that. Makes sense.

by the way, I am hearing that the Tempe HQ will move to DFW at some point. I believe within 24 months.

Was in Michigan flew through Canada,heard a lot of dot com aircraft. Whatever.

Back