Don George Aircraft Engines

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
Anyone had any engines re-built or repaired by this company?

What was your experience?

Been there,,, done that......

Back 25 years ago I had Dick Waters do some cylinder work for me on N4341X...... To the best of my knowledge , Don George is Dicks son.. No complaints...

I know I just had a good feeling about them when I checked out their site. Too bad they are not closer to home. Signature is much closer, but I have only heard that they are OK.

I know I just had a good feeling about them when I checked out their site. Too bad they are not closer to home. Signature is much closer, but I have only heard that they are OK.

Rent a truck. It's a long drive, but can be done in a long day. Check with him, there's a slim chance that he has one on the shelf already OH (that was the case for me).

I wouldn't let Signature touch my engines, period.

Shipping engines really isn't a big deal. We sent them to Florida. Charlie even sent us a crate because we only had one handy in the shop.

I wouldn't let Signature touch my engines, period.

Shipping engines really isn't a big deal. We sent them to Florida. Charlie even sent us a crate because we only had one handy in the shop.

Oh... Come on Ted.... Tell us how you REALLY feel...:yes::D

Ship the damn thing! :rolleyes:

I get engines rebuilt in Canada. Aerosport engines are great, but they only do experimentals. If you like a company do business with them. They are rebuilding your aircraft engine, not a boat motor.

http://www.aerosportpower.com/

Last edited:
I don't have one to rebuild yet, future potential, but not really a project yet project. And that's all I have to say about that.

Wheels turning and that is always expensive, and even if it never happens it is fun to plan.

Last edited:
What you need, sir, is a 310! :D

Ok, so has anyone used G&N in Indiana, or Triad in NC I think?

Triad came recommended from an acquaintance who used them to overhaul/upgrade his IO470 to a IO550 after an insurance event. He was very happy with the smoothness of the transaction, adherence to the quote and the quality of the work performed. I obtained a quote which was competitive with other shops and very up-front about what is included and what is not. They also offered to do the R&R at a fixed (with the usual caveats) price as well as the annual. What they can't do is an overhaul exchange and ultimately we decided that that is what we wanted due to the more predictable downtime.

Ted,

I have flown a 310, only for 30 or so minutes but I have flown one. Probably about 28 years ago. No comments about you only being 3 or 4 years old then.

Nice airplane but I can't really afford what I have. Who can? :rolleyes2:

Just giving you a hard time of course, Tim. :)

The laws of physics may have changed since the 80s. Lots of weird things been going on. Of course the economy has changed a bit, too...

I've had a jug worked and reworked by them, but that's the extent of it. My A&P has used them a lot over the years and always has sent cylinders to them.

Greg

I think Doc Bruce uses G&N for his cylinder work...to the point of having factory new cylinders inspected/corrected.

I haven't had to rebuild an engine yet but I plan to use Don George for it when my time comes. When I bought my plane I had to replace a cylinder and my A&P had Don George do it... he swears by him.

don george has built engines for me for 30 years, would never use anyone else. had cylinder issues years ago with continental donny went to bat for me and i got a reasonable resolution. very fair..

don just delivered my 4th engine he has rebuilt for me. on time on budget as in the past. why would anybody deal with a factory engine when you can get better quality and twice the warranty. I use my aircraft for a living so reliability is a must.and always happy to answer your questions.

Back