Doh! Mare doesn't dissappoint our expectations

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
“Think about it. It’s harder to get on an airplane [as a commercial passenger] then get in a single-engine plane or a two-engine plane and fly anyplace in the United States. And we’re supposed to protect America?…What happens now with the insurance on high rises? ...

Every time a small plane crashes in a major city — or strays too close to the White House or Capitol Hill — Daley renews his demand for a protective bubble around the Loop.

“It’s a huge lobbying group in Washington D.C. — one of the largest lobbying groups in the country. That is the issue. But that [should be] overcome by safety. We are concerned about major, major airline [incidents]. But, remember: a single- or two-engine plane can kill as many people as possible if they want to,” the mayor said.

“I have said they should ban `em. They should move `em two, three miles out into the lake as far west as they can….This is truly unfair to major cities that have huge downtown development.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/94771,daley101206.article

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-061012nofly-story,1,4712955.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Note how even the newspaper reporters have had it with this tired tirade.

Sorry, Mare. You already tried to kill me by sending me out 5 miles into the lake on a hazy July day. I survived. I'm not JFK, Jr. DIAF.

We're concerned how's yer health. We think you need to see your doctor for a checkup like last the last two mayors.

This is my favorite quote.

"Anyone can come to the United States and rent a plane and fly it."

They can? How the hell does that work?

FlyNE said:
This is my favorite quote.
"Anyone can come to the United States and rent a plane and fly it."
They can? How the hell does that work?
Considering that with the new kneejerk law in New York state you need a background check for a dual demo flight.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Considering that with the new kneejerk law in New York state you need a background check for a dual demo flight.
I just don't understand how some of this crap even warrants ink. How is it possible that people can believe that it is possible for just anybody to come to our country and rent any plane that they want, like there's a 'rental plane' counter right next to Hertz and Avis.

What sucks is that so much of the stuff that I've been defending GA for in the last 24 hours is based on the stuff that they heard in the first two hours of yesterday's accident. Much of which was later proven wrong.

I had a lady today that didn't understand how they can let an inexperienced pilot near a city. "So", I asked her "I'm sure you didn't let your son or daughter drive in the city when they were 16, did you?" These people don't even know the hypocracy of their suggestions.

My favorite conversation today.

Co-worker: "I don't understand why they let small planes fly near cities."
Me: "Why is that? If a car jumps the curb and kills a few people, would you call for banning cars in cities? This accident didn't kill anybody but the pilot and his passenger."
Co-worker: "A car hasn't been used to bring down a large building."
Me: "Well, neither has a small plane."
Co-worker: "But they can be used to carry bombs."
Me: "So can a Ryder truck...and one of those HAS been used to bring down a large building. Should we ban those?"
Co-worker: <blink><blink>

Bruce: Sigh...

FlyNE said:
My favorite conversation today.

Co-worker: "I don't understand why they let small planes fly near cities."
Me: "Why is that? If a car jumps the curb and kills a few people, would you call for banning cars in cities? This accident didn't kill anybody but the pilot and his passenger."
Co-worker: "A car hasn't been used to bring down a large building."
Me: "Well, neither has a small plane."
Co-worker: "But they can be used to carry bombs."
Me: "So can a Ryder truck...and one of those HAS been used to bring down a large building. Should we ban those?"
Co-worker: <blink><blink>

quote]

God must love stupid people cause he made a bunch of them and one was even elected Mayor of Chicago.:hairraise:

Hizzoner just encouraged me to join AOPA. And I don't shell out 40 bucks for something non-aviation related often.

AdamZ said:
Wow and I thought the mayor in Philly was bad. What a bone head.

The best part is why he has this obsession. He said the real reason for this and why he dug up Meigs. "They have a powerful lobby."

Nobody, but nobody defies Duh Mare! AOPA was able to save Meigs for years. That is why he's still steaming. He always gets his way. His word is law. Who are dese guys?

When he wanted the airspace closed to get AOPA the FAA told him he doesn't control airspace in Chicago. He will not give that up.

The Meigs midnight raid was "I'll show dem who runs tings!"

Man, I saw him on CBS tonight. Pounding the podium. Saying how nobody should ever let a "single or two engine plane" over his city.

FlyNE said:
Man, I saw him on CBS tonight. Pounding the podium. Saying how nobody should ever let a "single or two engine plane" over his city.

Aren't 737's two engine planes? And CRJs, and ERJs, and...

I think we should do a flyin somewhere close by and then do a tour by air of downtown Chicago.

JRitt said:
I think we should do a flyin somewhere close by and then do a tour by air of downtown Chicago.
Hizzoner's home is just south of Meigs. There's a 2500 foot Class B shelf there. We need to show dat dose little planes can still fly around anywhere dey want.

I heard the tape of DUH Mayor on the radio this morning. I have to say he sounded like a nut. But the DJs are all agreeing with him. Do not underestimate the power of sheeple responding with emotion instead of logic.

smigaldi said:
I heard the tape of DUH Mayor on the radio this morning. I have to say he sounded like a nut. But the DJs are all agreeing with him. Do not underestimate the power of sheeple responding with emotion instead of logic.
I once, pre midnight raid, overheard one of hizzoners sheeple saying, "He was mad. He had his Irish up." about one of his early rants about not getting a no fly zone. It still sells to some, but most see the raid as the ultimate sign of his arrogance.

Remember in the meantime he admitted the terrorism/security claim was a ruse. He wanted a park. Like most pols he counts on short-attention-span theater, so nobody remembers that little story. A lot of people still remember the raid.

In Springfield your word means something. Daley and Guv. Blago are on the shun list because they've blatantly gone back on their word.

mikea said:
Hizzoner's home is just south of Meigs. There's a 2500 foot Class B shelf there. We need to show dat dose little planes can still fly around anywhere dey want.

I have a dream....

We get the GPS coordinates of the mayor's house, get a convoy of "little planes" to fly over his house at legal height, and then land at MDW to a throng of reporters who will favorably report on GA.

OK, I just woke up!:D

"How can a plane fly down the Hudson or East River close to the United Nations and no one knows about it?" the mayor asked. "But you cannot fly over Washington D.C." where a no-fly mandate was put into effect in 2001. "That is a special place. We're not special."

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! That's right Mr. Mare, YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. Now go away. Please.

I like the special comment. He should keep making it. Maybe it'll actually work against him, and the ADIZ will be seen for the joke it is.

Maybw.

An informal "poll" of folks in my office indicates that local sentiment in Evanston, a suburb just north of Chicago, is running 100% in favor of banning "those small planes" from Chicago's airspace.
People are scared and they do not want to listen to reason. Mayor Daley, by pandering to those fears, is sure to find a pulpit, and the more he screams, the more people figure he must have a point and they start to agree with him. They do not want to realize that their SUV weighs more than a 172 and can do far more damage by jumping a sidewalk. They do not want to recognize that the SW jet that ran off the end of the runway at Midway did far more physical and human damage than Lidle's Cirrus -- I was told that "the Midway crash was different." Different how, I asked. "Well, those were professional pilots."
My point is, we can rant all we like, but we need to focus on quiet and persuasive discussions, one on one. We're preaching to the choir here, we need to engage with the rest of the congregation.
OK, my sermon is done.
Elizabeth

Da Mare isn't the only one raging about GA. Yesterday morning Senator Chuck Schumer went off on a tirade about how we need to restrict the airspace around NYC and require background checks for people who fly near NY. He also said that the recent accident demonstrates how much damage a small plane could do (that's what he said I know it doesn't make sense).
I'm hoping this will blow off before things get out of hand, although somehow I don't think so. At least the Daily News and NYT yesterday contained no mention of the crash.
This really doesn't look good. I'm wondering how long until he starts advocating for a FRZ around NYC as well?
I really wish there was a way we could make politicians realize how much less of a terror risk small planes are over cars and trucks.

Last edited:
A nice editorial dressing down Duh Mare in the Sun-Times:
It was predictable, therefore, that Daley would use Wednesday's crash of a small plane into a New York high-rise not only to renew his demand but also to claim, wrongly, that it shows he was right when he arrogantly destroyed Meigs Field in the dead of night in 2003. (Never mind that the mayor has already admitted that his real motive was to build a park.)

Daley blames the general aviation lobby for blocking the no-fly zone for the city, suggesting that safety takes a back seat to the influence of the Airline Owners and Pilots Association. Rubbish. It's hard to fathom the federal government putting safety at risk for a large group of people who like to fly planes. And does the mayor really need to be told why Washington, D.C., the only city with a no-fly zone, is a special case?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/98355,CST-EDT-edits16b.article

I emailed many things in taht very argument to Neil Steinberg of the Sun-Times, who used to be on the editorial board. I'd like to believe he passed it along.

I know. I wasn't the only one who emailed 'em.

Last edited:
Back