Does this video exist?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
I was wondering if you know of a video where a taildrager is towing a camera, with the camera facing the plane? Has anyone done this?

"towing" ?

Plenty with cam mounted on top of rudder.
What specifically are you looking to see?

Maybe formation flying with chase plane filming.

I have video from a taildragger towing me in a Grob Glider

Last edited:
Ask somebody who flies gliders. Probably happens every weekend somewhere.

"towing" ?

Plenty with cam mounted on top of rudder.
What specifically are you looking to see?

Maybe formation flying with chase plane filming.

I have video from a taildragger towing me in a Grob Glider

I think you could make a "chase plane" for a small vid camera out of a model plane and some fishing line. You could even put a little hole in the tail cone and put a reel in the cockpit so you could run it in and out. You could even have an RC pilot in the right seat flying the plane to different vantage points behind the plane. Could do some interesting things that way, especially with a gimbaled camera.

https://vimeo.com/57744923 Paraglider pilots play around with towed chase cams. Some build their own, there are also commercial versions for sale. Obviously in an airplane things are trickier. Post your results.

Bryan, yes basically your video but with more emphasis on the lead plane, more like a 3rd person view of the plane. Would love to see a 3rd person view of some aerobatics.

Not quite but a gorgeous video none the less

You need a friend with the same plane to get that shot. Towing a camera might work but you have a lot of details to work out. Or get one of those follow the transmitter drones...

Back