Does this stuff never stop.

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Simple solutions:

Read and understand the options available on your devices. This is not a "hidden" feature. It is merely one of many that can be overlooked by those who "buy and start using."

Don't enable the feature if you don't like it.

Don't buy the product if you don't trust the company.

So in am just about tired of all this government and technology snooping and tracking.
Now google and apple are at it again..

http://news.komando.com/?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2013-08-08-article_0-cta

Surely we American should have the right to turn it off or on. At least Apple can be turned off, if one can figure it out.:mad2:

The reality is that most folks are more than willing to give up privacy for convenience (or money, or any number of other things). Apple seems to have done a reasonable job at protecting user privacy (far, far better than Google) and informing users when data is accessed, but privacy is naturally a constraint to convenience.

The reality is that we all have much less to fear from Apple and Google knowing where we are than we do from someone in government knowing where we are, and government doesn't need to rely on Apple or Google to find out where we are.

JKG

As you say, again (and again)...

Apple and Google aren't the only ones who know where you are. If you're really paranoid about being tracked, then ditch the cell phone completely. It's in constant contact with the network whenever it's on and its radios are enabled. Thus, your phone company knows where your phone is to within a couple hundred feet or so at all times.

Every time you make a purchase with a credit card, your location is known. Any time you pull money out of an ATM, your location is known.

But if you're really worried about privacy, then why stop there? Comcast and Netflix know exactly what shows you watch and when. Use a "loyalty card" at your grocery store? Congrats: They know every time you buy a can of beans or a tube of Preparation H. Like to buy things on Amazon.com? You've got a purchase profile a mile long.

Not to mention Facebook, and Instagram, and so on, and so on....

Unless you're living like Ted Kaczynski, there are dozens of companies that know just about everything there is to know about you. No need to single out Google or Apple. It's just that for whatever reason, nobody writes news articles about them, and everyone ignores it.

^ :yeahthat: ^

Privacy is gone forever. People who say "I don't want a gMail account because Google archives data" make me laugh. You think AOL & Yahoo don't do the same? Heck, this website logs all the IPs that are logged in. Unless you take some BIG steps to "hide" that, the Feds can find you in a matter of hours.

Last edited:
As you say, again (and again)...

Apple and Google aren't the only ones who know where you are. If you're really paranoid about being tracked, then ditch the cell phone completely. It's in constant contact with the network whenever it's on and its radios are enabled. Thus, your phone company knows where your phone is to within a couple hundred feet or so at all times.

Every time you make a purchase with a credit card, your location is known. Any time you pull money out of an ATM, your location is known.

But if you're really worried about privacy, then why stop there? Comcast and Netflix know exactly what shows you watch and when. Use a "loyalty card" at your grocery store? Congrats: They know every time you buy a can of beans or a tube of Preparation H. Like to buy things on Amazon.com? You've got a purchase profile a mile long.

Not to mention Facebook, and Instagram, and so on, and so on....

Unless you're living like Ted Kaczynski, there are dozens of companies that know just about everything there is to know about you. No need to single out Google or Apple. It's just that for whatever reason, nobody writes news articles about them, and everyone ignores it.

This is so true. I agree, GPS, ATM, grocery stores etc know a lot about us. Other than advertising and government perusing, why would they need to go to another level of knowing every move.
Sad how so many young people just give all their private info, Facebook, Instagram etc. I can see this changing rights of privacy issues in the not too distant future.
As much as possible I have turned off the notifications. The article eluded to this being a Google Samsung issue. As you say more google than apple.
Next will be google glass? Will be fun to watch.

Apple just patented software that allows law enforcement to turn off the video recording capabilities of i devices. They are all in on it, and put in back doors and snooping abilities for our overlords. Recent article about crime leads generated from monitoring programs being passed down from FBI/NSA to local leos that then make a fake backwards investigative trail. Like the crazy lady said there is no way to rule innocent men.

Lavabit and Silent Circle shut down today. They were US based secure email providers.

As Rhett said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.".

Cheers

Worth pondering from the founder of Lavabit.

"This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States."

This week at Defcon, many speakers stated flatly that most organizations now need to consider NSA and government in their threat vector analysis and business continuity plans for Network and System security.

Simple solutions:

Read and understand the options available on your devices. This is not a "hidden" feature. It is merely one of many that can be overlooked by those who "buy and start using."

Don't enable the feature if you don't like it.

Don't buy the product if you don't trust the company.

Wow, a company sells a product that knowingly is violating the US Constitution's 4th. Ammendment and all you can say is "buyer beware"?

Wow, a company sells a product that knowingly is violating the US Constitution's 4th. Ammendment and all you can say is "buyer beware"?

The Constitution of the United States defines the structure, powers, and limitations of the United States federal and state governments. With the exceptions of the 13th and 18th (repealed by the 21st), none of the amendments apply to private individuals either singly or in groups. The 4th amendment is not applicable to private individuals - it makes no sense.

If you mean that the company is violating some statute, you need to specify which one. If you mean that the company is in violation of the sales contract between it and the customer, you need to specify the contract term that you believe it is violating. If the sales contract has a clause that allows the company to track your location, then it is within its right.

The Constitution of the United States defines the structure, powers, and limitations of the United States federal and state governments. With the exceptions of the 13th and 18th (repealed by the 21st), none of the amendments apply to private individuals either singly or in groups. The 4th amendment is not applicable to private individuals - it makes no sense.

If you mean that the company is violating some statute, you need to specify which one. If you mean that the company is in violation of the sales contract between it and the customer, you need to specify the contract term that you believe it is violating. If the sales contract has a clause that allows the company to track your location, then it is within its right.

If they are intentionally building back doors and giving the government the key, then while not violating the 4th themselves they are selling devices that they built so our overlords can sack the 4th. A bit of evidence out there that electronics manufacturers could not survive without playing along. No excuse still. Russia is looking freer all the time.

Well there's still the tor network

When I jailbroke and unlocked my iPhone there is a app called "privacy" that turns off some "anonymous usage statistics" that can not be turned off on a unjailbroken phone.

Lucky for the govt most people are soooo subservient and willing to follow any "rule".

It's not the terrorists that are going to ruin this country, not china, not N Korea, it's your neighbors, as they will NEVER take action, never stand up.

There was a video on YouTube of this large armed cop beating the bejesus out of some unarmed old (like 70) lady, people just stood around and watched. Not one pulled that maniac off the old lady, no one even said "stop". It's sickening.

Last edited:
Worth pondering from the founder of Lavabit.

"This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States."

His recommendation is flawed. If one sends data across the border, even encrypted, the government WILL monitor it. And save it.

The cell network has ALWAYS known your position by design. The smartphone just adds a way to log and send GPS data to the smartphone manufacturer.

The telco has always known where you are and they're all in bed with NSA heavily. CALEA made that not only easier, but mandatory.

What's really happening is they're just tired of attempting to even give lip-service to saying they weren't watching. They always were.

You don't build the largest government datacenter ever in Utah for show. It's been in service for a few years now.

Even back when it was being built, analysts looking at the non-black budget said that the size and scope of the bandwidth and storage being purchased could mean only one thing... storage of massive amounts of compressed digital voice/audio data.

Back