Does This Sound Good???????????

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
????????? to a non-mechanic?

"The engine had only 800 hours since major. The crank shaft has been replaced, and all parts sent to the factory and remanufactured. Engine is in top condition, with zero time since major.
We made many other minor repairs, too, to improve the aircraft. (Many, many hours of labor!)."

What does "remanufactured" mean, precisely?

HR

Harley,

Remanufactured is suppose to mean sent back to the factory where the components of the engine are replaced bringing the tolerances of the components in the engine up to to new limits.

Len

Lawreston said:
To the FAA, nothing. It's a term that Lycoming used to use for its rebuilt engines, although it is not defined by anyone except Lycoming, which is why they stopped using it and now call them "zero-time rebuilt." The best description of a Lycoming "remanufactured"/"zero-time rebuilt" engine is found on Lycoming's web site. BTW, those are both terms that only Lycoming can use, although others can call a Lycoming engine "rebuilt" (rather than "zero-time rebuilt") if they comply with 14 CFR 43.2(b).

Lawreston said:
????????? to a non-mechanic?

"The engine had only 800 hours since major. The crank shaft has been replaced, and all parts sent to the factory and remanufactured. Engine is in top condition, with zero time since major.
We made many other minor repairs, too, to improve the aircraft. (Many, many hours of labor!)."

HR

That means in this case, that the hard parts were sent to the manufacturer to have returned to "as new" service tolerances. Only the factory can reman. So what you have here is a field major overhaul using factory parts support. Does this matter? Depending on who did the assembly, it could be superior or inferior to a factory reman. From a legal standpoint to an operator constrained by TBO there is no differece between a field major and a reman. Me, I've met people who work at some of the factory auth reman shops, unless I really know who's doing my engine, I'll do my own or have it done where I can supervise thank you.

Oh BTW, yes, it sounds good and would encourage further investigation if it was an aircraft I had interest in.

Last edited:
Henning said:
That means in this case, that the hard parts were sent to the manufacturer to have returned to "as new" service tolerances. Only the factory can reman. So what you have here is a field major overhaul using factory parts support. Does this matter? Depending on who did the assembly, it could be superior or inferior to a factory reman. From a legal standpoint to an operator constrained by TBO there is no differece between a field major and a reman. Me, I've met people who work at some of the factory auth reman shops, unless I really know who's doing my engine, I'll do my own or have it done where I can supervise thank you.

Oh BTW, yes, it sounds good and would encourage further investigation if it was an aircraft I had interest in.

Thanks to y'all who took the time to define "remanufacture." I know several who have flown the speciman since the rebuild and whose reports are "great job on the rebuilding project; she flies, beautifully." I'll be trading my N66148 for the red & white beast........................which I owned, previously, and in which I took what could easily have been my final flight. Oh, a must is to share with you Ron Levy's closing comment via email. In reading it, again, I'm ROTFLMAO. "In any event, it looks great(for a Cessna)."

HR

Back