Does this mean, I can't fly there

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Attached is a screenshot from Foreflight. I am aware that I could call FSS and get clarification, so this may really be a Forefligt usage question.

I'd like to fly my family to the airshow tomorrow. Is it verboten?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 228
I wouldn't call FSS. They are just going to read to you whatever the NOTAM says....which seems to be missing some details. You could cross check it with Duats.

I'd call the folks at the airport/FBO.

As far as your Foreflight usage question goes, instead of using the AIRPORT tab on that NOTAMs page, click the TFR tab (two tabs down on the left side) and you'll get more information. You'd need to scroll down past the SFRA stuff to see the full text of the TFR and the specific times it's in effect.
yhate7up.jpg

On the maps page, with TFRs enabled, it shows only the next time (7:30-8:30pm tonight) that the airport will be closed.
8ysa7ahe.jpg

With an airshow you really need to contact the airport/FBO directly to get the details on their local procedures. Just because the airport may be "open" most of the day doesn't necessarily mean you'll have anywhere to park and it may be a real hassle. Call them and see if it's possible to fly in a few hours before the TFR goes into effect.

Just need to show up before 1400Z. Almost every show I've flown into on a civil airport has a time in the AM to fly in. I agree with above, there might be local FBO restrictions that won't allow you in the ramp during the show dates. Seen a few airports that'll say no transient aircraft during the show.

Went to the Blues show today in MQY. Not very good. $30 to get in! Food far more expensive than usual. Horrible spot for pics with the sun. No military transients. Air shows just aren't what they used to be.

I called the FBO and they assured me there would be parking and ground transportation available. I didnt ask about costs.:mad2:

I called the FBO and they assured me there would be parking and ground transportation available. I didnt ask about costs.:mad2:

Usually if you get gas they don't charge for parking and transport. At MQY today all the GA was parked on the west side FBO and they shuttled them over in a van. 1630 they all started to depart. I'm still sitting in some of the worst air show traffic I've ever been in.

Usually if you get gas they don't charge for parking and transport. At MQY today all the GA was parked on the west side FBO and they shuttled them over in a van. 1630 they all started to depart. I'm still sitting in some of the worst air show traffic I've ever been in.
It's a long way from OXB airport to Ocean City's beach where the show can be seen, and traffic will be abominable. I don't see the OXB FBO providing that transportation. The city normally provides bus transport for a nominal fee from the car parking areas on the mainland across the bridge to the beach, but it's a long walk from OXB airport to those parking areas. Suggest asking the FBO about options to get from the airport to US 50 where the parking areas are.

Attached is a screenshot from Foreflight. I am aware that I could call FSS and get clarification, so this may really be a Forefligt usage question.

I'd like to fly my family to the airshow tomorrow. Is it verboten?

FYI, Foreflight shows that for every airport, as a CYA move. Also, just as a note, if a TFR is issued without noted boundaries, it won't show up in the map overlay in FF.

It's a long way from OXB airport to Ocean City's beach where the show can be seen, and traffic will be abominable. I don't see the OXB FBO providing that transportation. The city normally provides bus transport for a nominal fee from the car parking areas on the mainland across the bridge to the beach, but it's a long walk from OXB airport to those parking areas. Suggest asking the FBO about options to get from the airport to US 50 where the parking areas are.

Lol! Oh it's at the beach. Thought they were performing out at the airport. Yeah they're not going to transport pilots out to there.

Can't vouch for how thngs are going during this show, but I've always just taken a cab back and forth between OXB and Ocean City proper.

After action report-
We didnt leave home at the designated time. When I called to get my SFRA squawk, I asked about the TFR, he only said "Hurry!" and I was already in choo-choo mode.

On the taxiway, I decided to divert to KSBY considering no ASRS would help with all the records they have on this.

I asked Pax approach while in-flight and he didnt know "how they were managing things for that airspace". My wife later asked to me ask again, so I did. Not happening. It was bumpy below 3,000 so I climbed to 5,500 where I could also take advantage of a forecast 16kt tailwind.

We arrived as SBY and got a rental car (the last one!) and drove out there. The lady (Cathy) was nice enough to printout free tickets for us to the fenced area at show center.

We found a guy selling parking in his yard right at show center for $15.

When we walked the 1-1/2 blocks to the beach, it was a 30minute wait for the Thunderbirds.

The flight back was uneventful except flying directly into a setting sun.

Well, good to hear everything worked out OK.

Back