Does the FAA abide by the "60 day review" period?

A

Alex Lancaster

I was issued a medical by an AME but had a condition. Doc looked at my records and saw no problem. He checked the box though. Should I wait 60 days before starting training? Is there anyway to find out if the FAA approved my AME's decision to issue?

If it is a condition that your AME feels confident that you will ultimately get issued I would start training. I have been waiting on a special issue but have proceeded with training.

Not enough info. If you walked out with a medical certificate, press with training and gather the documentation the FAA may want. You can view the AME guide and associated resources to see what they’ll want. FAA generally will want current updates to their standard, which is defined as within the last 90 days.

No they do not. The 60 day rule is a legal one in which the burden of proof as to whether or not the AME was correct, lies on the FAA, as opposed to days 1-59, the burden of proof in on you and the AME. They get to it when they get to it. We have gotten QA challenges after seven years!

I’m on month 3 waiting on a SI letter for OSA that the AME issued in the office as I had all the docs ready to go…hoping there wasn’t any loose threads for them to see and pull that we both weren’t aware of.

I’m on month 3 waiting on a SI letter for OSA that the AME issued in the office as I had all the docs ready to go…hoping there wasn’t any loose threads for them to see and pull that we both weren’t aware of.
How long after being issued in office did it take for them to send you a letter? Are you able to fly while you wait on them?

How long after being issued in office did it take for them to send you a letter? Are you able to fly while you wait on them?
Perhaps my post wasn’t very clear. I was issued a class 3 in the office by the AME. As it was related to sleep apnea, I was expecting a letter from the FAA with special issuance language. I may have misunderstood what I’ve read but I would expect since it was an initial issue for a class 3 and was one of the SI problems that I’d expect a letter. I have yet to receive a letter from the FAA. All I have to date is the actual medical issued in the office by the AME.

I am in training now pre-solo, but the medical appears to be good to go. Unless, the FAA says otherwise..that’s what I’m concerned with.

Perhaps my post wasn’t very clear. I was issued a class 3 in the office by the AME. As it was related to sleep apnea, I was expecting a letter from the FAA with special issuance language. I may have misunderstood what I’ve read but I would expect since it was an initial issue for a class 3 and was one of the SI problems that I’d expect a letter. I have yet to receive a letter from the FAA. All I have to date is the actual medical issued in the office by the AME.

I am in training now pre-solo, but the medical appears to be good to go. Unless, the FAA says otherwise..that’s what I’m concerned with.
Ah. I see what you mean. I've heard of the FAA sending a letter months and even years after you receive a medical. I have an SI case but my AME was confident it won't be a problem. I'm gonna watch my mailbox like a hawk.

Ah. I see what you mean. I've heard of the FAA sending a letter months and even years after you receive a medical. I have an SI case but my AME was confident it won't be a problem. I'm gonna watch my mailbox like a hawk.
Same, same. Best of luck to you!

What do you mean you have an SI case? Do you mean CACI? SIs come from the FAA.

What do you mean you have an SI case? Do you mean CACI? SIs come from the FAA.
That’s where I’m confused. I’m an initial issue case for obstructive sleep apnea which according to the documentation I’ve read requires a special issuance. Yet I’ve read on this board that if you have all the required documents ready to go an AME can issue in the office. When I went in for a consult the AME said the same thing. I gathers all the paperwork, made my appointment, and did the exam. AME submitted all the docs electronically in medexpress, printed out my medical, signed it, and I walked out with a class 3.

From what I’ve read on the FAA website, OSA wasn’t a CACI item but they can based on the documentation I read it’s unclear to me what (if anything) happens next from them.

Sure hope the AME didn’t screw up and issue when they shouldn’t have…

That’s where I’m confused. I’m an initial issue case for obstructive sleep apnea which according to the documentation I’ve read requires a special issuance. Yet I’ve read on this board that if you have all the required documents ready to go an AME can issue in the office. When I went in for a consult the AME said the same thing. I gathers all the paperwork, made my appointment, and did the exam. AME submitted all the docs electronically in medexpress, printed out my medical, signed it, and I walked out with a class 3.

From what I’ve read on the FAA website, OSA wasn’t a CACI item but they can based on the documentation I read it’s unclear to me what (if anything) happens next from them.

Sure hope the AME didn’t screw up and issue when they shouldn’t have…
Your AME did it right. You can expect to receive a letter from the FAA in several months that details the documents you need to submit each year to maintain your SI. OSA is unique. It's the only condition that requires a SI, but allows the AME to issue without waiting for FAA review. It's like a CACI, but different.

Your AME did it right. You can expect to receive a letter from the FAA in several months that details the documents you need to submit each year to maintain your SI. OSA is unique. It's the only condition that requires a SI, but allows the AME to issue without waiting for FAA review. It's like a CACI, but different.
Thank you!

Back