Does no complication tonsil removal at age 7 count as "surgery"

U

Unregistered

Hello All,

I am currently undergoing treatment for gastro-intestinal issues that will most likely require a deferral and special issuance when I renew in awhile. I remember while filling out the patient questionnaire at the GI's that I had my tonsils removed when I was age 7 (or whereabouts). That was in the early '80's.

I was told that was “not a surgery” when I was a student pilot, many medicals ago, and did not list it as a surgery. I have not thought anything of it until now, but as I go through these posts looking at the SI and medical process in general, I am afraid I made a mistake by not putting it on the form originally.

The pediatrician who did the removal and all my records of it are all long gone. I don't even know the exact date of the removal, and can supply no further information on it.

First question: If you get your tonsils removed, without complication, at age 7, is that a “surgery” per the form 8500-8 question 18.X?

Second question: Assuming the mention of the tonsils being removed show up in my SI paperwork (records from my GI), and I have to put “Tonsils, Age 7” as a surgery and it is not listed in my previous medical forms, am I risking my medical?

What are your recommendation/thoughts on this? What is the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I always put it down from the beginning, along with "various sutures" - but I don't think they'll call you a "liar-liar-pants-on-fire" if you put it down as "childhood tonsillectomy" on your next medical. If you have to answer why you didn't report it, just say you misunderstood how far back you needed to go.

And then for all subsequent medicals, you check the "yes" box and put "previously reported, no change".

I always put it down from the beginning, along with "various sutures" - but I don't think they'll call you a "liar-liar-pants-on-fire" if you put it down as "childhood tonsillectomy" on your next medical. If you have to answer why you didn't report it, just say you misunderstood how far back you needed to go.

And then for all subsequent medicals, you check the "yes" box and put "previously reported, no change".

I wonder if there's any way to determine if I've reported every surgery or other medical treatment I had before becoming a pilot? It's quite possible that I neglected to mention getting my chin stiched up when I was 5 or the tip of a finger sewn back on when I was 10, not to mention a tonsillectomy at age 19 and a couple rounds of foot surgery before that. I'm pretty sure I would have at least mentioned "some minor surgeries in the distant past" on my first airman's medical application but given that this was over 30 years ago I can't say for certain.

Before I wrote anything down I would mention it to the AME and he/she gives you a funny look.

According to the guy I see, that does not fly anymore. I have been explaining the two surgeries I have had for the last couple of years.
Flew for me using the FAA online system in November. In fact I think they had a box to check for "previously reported, no change".

You still have to check the appropriate boxes indicating you've had surgery or convulsions or whatever. You just don't have to submit the paragraphs of background info.

But that's my experience, YMMV. Are you seeing a company doctor or someone private?

Flew for me using the FAA online system in November. In fact I think they had a box to check for "previously reported, no change".

You still have to check the appropriate boxes indicating you've had surgery or convulsions or whatever. You just don't have to submit the paragraphs of background info.

But that's my experience, YMMV. Are you seeing a company doctor or someone private?

Last couple exams I had w/private docs here in DC and San Antonio netted me verbal questions about the "previously reported, no change" questions. Docs said they had to ask....

My recommendation, leave it blank on the form and ask your AME how you should answer it.

I know a student that checked yes to the have you have you ever blacked out question. Turned out he had passed out one time as an elementry school kid while playing a kids pass-out type game. While definitely dumb, it certianly didn't point to any type of medical condition. But it did delay him getting his medical for six months.

Brian

Who the hell remembers every little doctors/ER visit, even for stitches, throughout their lifetime?

I know I cannot....

Who the hell remembers every little doctors/ER visit, even for stitches, throughout their lifetime?

I know I cannot....

And I can't see why it should matter. What possible difference could it make in 2009 that you had a broken bone set or tonsil's removed in 1968?

Yes, tonsillectomy is a surgery. Yes, it should really be reported on the medical form (mark yes in either 18 U or 18 X and then write in the explaination area--uncomplicated tonsillectomy, age 7. Then on the next medical, mark yes and write--previously reported) No, it shouldn't(I really mean--Won't--but you know the never say never stuff and all) affect getting a medical. And No, you shouldn't(won't) get in trouble for not having reported it before. It was a limited, over and done with occurence, and the FAA realizes that.

The form is set up to try to get all your medical history. Much of it will not affect getting the medical, some might. But getting all of it means we don't miss the important stuff.

Barb(AME)

And I can't see why it should matter. What possible difference could it make in 2009 that you had a broken bone set or tonsil's removed in 1968?

It may help identify your remains in the event of an accident. :eek: That's why there is a spot on the physical side to list scars and tatoos, also.

Barb(AME)

It may help identify your remains in the event of an accident. :eek: That's why there is a spot on the physical side to list scars and tatoos, also.

Barb(AME)

Egg-Zactly.

Barb(AME)

Given the rather large percentage of folks my age who've lost their tonsils sometime I'm having a hard time seeing how listing that experience on my medical application would do much good in identifying a corpse. I can see how that along with scars and tatoos might help identify a living person though, are you sure that isn't the real purpose?

Given the rather large percentage of folks my age who've lost their tonsils sometime I'm having a hard time seeing how listing that experience on my medical application would do much good in identifying a corpse. I can see how that along with scars and tatoos might help identify a living person though, are you sure that isn't the real purpose?

The presence of the tonsillectomy may not help as much as the presence of evidence of the previously broken bone. But, the reason for the medical exam form is to collect your potentially important medical history. The things that the FAA thinks are really important get a separate check box(hypertension, cardiac disease, diabetes, etc) If they had to make check boxes for every possibly important medical event, the form would be pages long with a lot of NO's checked. So they put two boxes on the form(18 U and 18 X) that are catch all areas. One is "Other hospitalizations" and the other is basically "Anything Else that doesn't Fit in the Other Boxes"
Much of the "Other" stuff will have no bearing on getting your medical, but the FAA wants to be the one to make that decision, not leave it up to you.
The tonsillectomy you had at age 7 won't have any effect on getting your medical but the Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt that you got that same year will.
And remember this form has basically be around for many years and there where things on it that where used for identification esp. after an accident. Today we have DNA identification capabillities but most are still done with less sophisticated and costly techniques. Aircraft accidents don't always leave nicely put together corpses. And even the absence of tonsills could be helpful when you add it to the absence of an appendix and an old Right mid-shaft ulnar fracture, espicially if you throw in a circumsion, too!

But it is highly unlikely that any one would get in trouble for forgetting to list a common limited childhood medical issue. And you wouldn't get in trouble for remembering to list it on the next medical.

Barb

For this have no worries. Report it on your next medical. There's nobody who can construe intent on that sort of omission.

Yes, you can write PRNC but I now have to quiz you about anythign PRNC. Sigh.

For this have no worries. Report it on your next medical. There's nobody who can construe intent on that sort of omission.

Yes, you can write PRNC but I now have to quiz you about anythign PRNC. Sigh.

That rings a bell - my AME asked what was PRNC, and I said "kid stuff and getting the flu". Took all of about 5 seconds, and I don't think he wrote any notes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back