Does Flying Give You Early Warning of Being Ill?

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I have noticed since I started flying that I can often tell I'm getting sick days ahead of time. It's a more pronounced feeling when it's some type of cold. So I wonder if the reduced air pressure allows you to tell if your getting congested at an earlier point.

Anyone else notice the same thing or am I crazy? :D

Reason I'm posting is because I felt ill a few days ago while on a trip and it has just now come to fruition.

What's the cabin altitude of the ERJ ? I know in the plane I fly in routinely I dont feel much because at the altitudes we fly we can keep cabin alt >100 ft, it's amazing. If we have to go over FL300 then the cabin alts only get around 5-6k feet

Edit. But when I airline around I feel all different kinds of pressure changes.

Last edited:
What's the cabin altitude of the ERJ ? I know in the plane I fly in routinely I dont feel much because at the altitudes we fly we can keep cabin alt >100 ft, it's amazing. If we have to go over FL300 then the cabin alts only get around 5-6k feet

Edit. But when I airline around I feel all different kinds of pressure changes.

Typically 5-6k unless we are up in the 30s then I think it's around 7k. I'd have to look at the QRH to tell you for certain. Its limit is 7.8psi at 37. So 8k at 37. Our cabin system is completely automatic so I only look at it on climb out to make sure it's holding pressure.

We actually can't even completely manually dump our cabin either. The computer limits it to around 14k.

Thats what I was expecting. I dont think the human body was exactly designed to go up and down in altitudes multiple times in a day like pilots do. No suprise of you can feel the effects earlier. Im sure the dry air has an effect too. The DA7X has an optional humidifier to keep things nice for the 12hr legs.

Edit. Our cabin altitude stays less than 4k at FL410. Just looked it up.

Last edited:
Not so much flying, but altitude changes.

1500 feet just driving over the local hills will give me a dope slap if I have a hint of a head cold.

Back