Does an annual confirm the compliance with all ADs? Can compliance be assumed?

Wick bases to metal structure must be less than .05 ohms, composites under .5 ohms on the ones I can remember.

We have to test them between the end of the wick and the airframe, and use a megohmmeter for that. The wick itself has a very high resistance.

Dan

ALL motors in planes have a robust ground strap from the motor to the airframe ( if they didn't the starter would not work).

Not true of older Cessnas. Many discussions have been had over the years on the Cessna type club forums to check for a ground strap if your starter was draggy. Mine was draggy when I first bought imy 182 so I checked, no grounding, added a strap, all was good.

And one side benefit was that my throttle and mixture cables quit glowing in the dark. ;)

Not true of older Cessnas. Many discussions have been had over the years on the Cessna type club forums to check for a ground strap if your starter was draggy. Mine was draggy when I first bought imy 182 so I checked, no grounding, added a strap, all was good.

And one side benefit was that my throttle and mixture cables quit glowing in the dark. ;)

WOW who would have thought an aircraft manufacturer would leave off a grounding strap...:yikes::hairraise:.....

And... Yeah,, I have seen people build street rods and forget to ground the motor.... Blue Throttle cables are the first sign of that oops.....

There are little flat sheet metal jumpers that loop from one side of the rubber engine mounts to the other but they're pretty worthless (apparently anyway).

There are little flat sheet metal jumpers that loop from one side of the rubber engine mounts to the other but they're pretty worthless (apparently anyway).

I wonder why the engine will crank when they are pretty worthless?

Mine looks more like a braided bare battery cable. There is a dedicated faster on both the engine and the steel tube mount for it.

WOW who would have thought an aircraft manufacturer would leave off a grounding strap...:yikes::hairraise:.....

And... Yeah,, I have seen people build street rods and forget to ground the motor.... Blue Throttle cables are the first sign of that oops.....

It's even worse when the electrons decide to use the oil pressure capillary line.

I wonder why the engine will crank when they are pretty worthless?

It would crank and it would start but it did so sluggishly and never seemed to be very excited about being woke up.

Putting a real ground strap on it was like night and day. There's been a lot of conversation about just this over on both CPA and CPS over the years. It's a well known issue.

I'm sure you know better though.

It would crank and it would start but it did so sluggishly and never seemed to be very excited about being woke up.

Putting a real ground strap on it was like night and day. There's been a lot of conversation about just this over on both CPA and CPS over the years. It's a well known issue.

I'm sure you know better though.

Renewing the OEM would work too.

Excuse my ignorance, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Why can you not simply pull the rocker covers and inspect the area in question?

Excuse my ignorance, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Why can you not simply pull the rocker covers and inspect the area in question?

What a simple solution! I'm pretty sure that is a liquid penetrant type inspection in that AD.

What a simple solution! I'm pretty sure that is a liquid penetrant type inspection in that AD.

This was suggested way back in post 61, When you read the full version of the AD the compliance is to preform a " FPI" on the cylinders when they are off the engine, But there is no real reason this can't be done installed.

BUT ,, how many A&P's that you know have a black light?

His Cessna maintenance center may, or may not.

The AD says "FPI" that is not your common red dye, but that is also allowed, so yes the AD can be complied with on the engine.

Last edited:
Back