Dodge City, KS

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - who knows anything about this place? I'm planning on flying out there to meet up with Mark in a few weeks, and I'm curious what's there? I remember hearing about it regarding old west stuff.

Nick,

I was only there for one night, and had limited mobility. The airport is wide open with two runways, which is good, because Dodge City claims to have to highest average wind velocity of any US city. The FBO treated me well, nothing special but nice. They had a courtesy car but it was already taken. The old guys that drink coffee there in the morning were fun to talk with. That was the highlight of my stay, but I really enjoy hangar flying with the locals. I was a little disappointed with the Boot Hill area, but I had high expectations because I'm a Gunsmoke junkie. I wasn't really there long enough to do the town justice.

Oh ya, watch out for the jackrabbits. There are ton's of them hopping around. One could have used a "Follow Me" sign when it lead me down the entire length of the taxiway.

Barb

So you are making the journey to Kansas!
I have never been to Dodge city, only about 2 1/2 hours for me though!

I hear they have a tough Marshall there, but he may have moved to Tombstone.

:)

SkyHog said:
II remember hearing about it regarding old west stuff.
Just don't expect the landscape to look like what was depicted in Gunsmoke. I guess you might call it the "old west", western Kansas, that is, not a set in California. ;)

I have landed at Dodge City but I honestly don't remember anything about it other than it was a typical town for that region.

One of the vets I know that lived and worked on animals in Dodge City said it would have been OK for him if he had had a horse to ride out of there with.

I touched down there once but it became a touch and go when I was about to drift off of the down wind side of the runway. Some gusts were strong enough that at normal approach speed full rudder wouldn't keep the plane aligned with the runway. That was my first encounter with really strong gusty cross winds. I went on to Anthony where there was a runway aligned with the wind and got realy interested in improving my cross wind skills. Final from the South takes you right over massive livestock feed lots.

My memories (in addition to what I put in the Journal):
Approach and departure over the feedlots. Warm day (both times), so all vents open to allow more smell in.

Good FBO, very friendly and helpful. Made rental car and motel reservations for us. Nice car and good room.

Other than downtown attractions, not much to do.

Basically a one road town running parallel to the RR tracks. The old town section is worth a walk around. IIRC, home to Boothill graveyard. Nice people, nice old architecture, some history, and good food is my vague memory.

Back