Documenting VFR practice approaches in logbook

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I am not rated so i know i cant log my approaches, but are there any regs that prevents me from documenting the VFR practice approaches in the comment section of a log book entry?

nothing under approaches column, just something like - "Practice VFR approach to ILS 36" in the comment section

I am not rated so i know i cant log my approaches, but are there any regs that prevents me from documenting the VFR practice approaches in the comment section of a log book entry?

nothing under approaches column, just something like - "Practice VFR approach to ILS 36" in the comment section

Nope, I do it all the time, although I have my rating. Those approaches do not count toward IFR currency unless I'm under the hood with a safety pilot.

Is there a regulation that prevents you from logging that you were wearing life changing underwear in the comments section of your logbook?

Comments section, put whatever you want. Even what you had for lunch.

this is like, a Day 1 PPL training type question. hope this helps.

Comments section, put whatever you want. Even what you had for lunch.

I do that all the time, or who went with me, or whether the runway was icy, or if it was gusty, etc...

Then years later go back through the log book, and be like "oh, totally forgot about that flight"

thanks guys (the ones who actually bothered to answer instead of making unnecessary snarky remarks for no particular reason other than ...)

Dear logbook, on this day I flew an amazing ILS approach to 36. It was epic and I started the approach inverted in a rental Cherokee and rolled just as was capturing the glideslope. An approach and a day I will never forget for as long as I live.

thanks guys (the ones who actually bothered to answer instead of making unnecessary snarky remarks for no particular reason other than ...)

Regulations are written as to what you can't or must do, not what you can or may do. Throw this in the same folder as "can I fly from the right seat?", "can I log my flights in green pen?" "can I land on my own private property?" (show me where it says you can't). If it's not explicitly prohibited e.g. "a pilot may not log anything in the comments section other than condition of flight..." and it's not going to fall under 91.13, you're more or less free to do what you want. Your instructors should have passed that to you along the way, and it's sad that they didn't.

Regulations are written as to what you can't or must do, not what you can or may do. Throw this in the same folder as "can I fly from the right seat?", "can I log my flights in green pen?" "can I land on my own private property?" (show me where it says you can't). If it's not explicitly prohibited e.g. "a pilot may not log anything in the comments section other than condition of flight..." and it's not going to fall under 91.13, you're more or less free to do what you want. Your instructors should have passed that to you along the way, and it's sad that they didn't.

may be they did, I don't recall. hence the question
" but are there any regs that prevents me from documenting the VFR practice approaches in the comment section of a log book entry?"

I dont recall everything that my instructor said, may be some super pilots here remembers every word ever uttered to them by their instructors, or they pretend they do. I don't and I am not ashamed to admit it.

have you ever written anything in the comments section? something like "used the 430 today", or "bumpy day", or "practiced crosswind landings", or, "climbed to 5000' then took my pants off", or, like ANYTHING? then why would "did a practice approach" be ANY different?

may be they did, I don't recall. hence the question
" but are there any regs that prevents me from documenting the VFR practice approaches in the comment section of a log book entry?"

I dont recall everything that my instructor said, may be some super pilots here remembers every word ever uttered to them by their instructors, or they pretend they do. I don't and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Fair enough. 61.51 is the relevant regulation regarding logbooks and what must be logged. (if you choose to log, because you only need to log for currency and ratings) If you aren't logging for currency or rating you can write down whatever you want, and however you want.
§61.51 Pilot logbooks.
(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:

(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.

(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part.

(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:

So if you aren't logging for a currency or ratings, nothing in b) applies.

For what it's worth, I've seen logbooks in which a person acting as a safety pilot chose to log the approaches. I'm not the logbook police so I didn't rip the page our or anything like that, but if you care enough about regulations and logging accuracy to ask online you're already doing better than some.

The FAA published a relevant InFO (Information For Operators) in 2015: https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/info/all_infos/media/2015/InFO15012.pdf

It talks about when you can log an approach for currency. If you're not rated, you can't be instrument current, so it doesn't really matter how you log them. And I don't know of a reason why you can't log the approaches you fly under simulated or actual IMC (assuming you are operating in those conditions legally, such as with a proper safety pilot for simulated IMC) before you get the instrument rating. You won't be using them for currency.

That being said, if for any reason you do not want to log them in the "approaches" column of your logbook, go ahead and load up the "comments" column as you see fit.

There is also the situation where you are flying VFR in VMC without a safety pilot and follow an instrument approach procedure. I would not log those at all, they're just an alternative way to navigate a straight-in visual approach.

There is also the situation where you are flying VFR in VMC without a safety pilot and follow an instrument approach procedure.

Thanks Ari, that is actually exactly what i am doing until i can get back to training. trying to stay proficient flying approaches in VMC, solo. i will keep flooding those comments column :)

Thanks Ari, that is actually exactly what i am doing until i can get back to training. trying to stay proficient flying approaches in VMC, solo. i will keep flooding those comments column :)
Head west. Bring your hood. That way I can log some PA-28 time and you can log some approaches. Win-win!

It’s your log book you can put anything you want in the remarks section.

Head west. Bring your hood. That way I can log some PA-28 time and you can log some approaches. Win-win!

planning a trip to KMOT, if wx and weekend matches, i will stop by your field. yet to see your build

don't forget to put "went to see iamtheari" in the comment section of your logbook.......
I'm not sure I would want that in my log book. I now await the banhammer.
I would treat that one kind of how Israel does with their passport stamps. Use a separate piece of paper so you can hide the evidence when you visit countries/people who consider me persona non grata. (I was typing this already when @EdFred posted, so ... great minds think alike?)

Back