Do you need a set of Vortex Generators?

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I purchased a set of VG's back when I had my 150, come to find out they were for an experimental aircraft, so I still have them. If anyone would like them I'd take $50.00 for them, I paid $100.00. I was told that I could put them on a certified aircraft with a 337, but that was to much of a pain in the a$$.

I was thinking about putting vortex Generators on my Skyhawk. Further thought was that with Wiscasset IWI being the world's 3rd worst crosswind airport(Alton Marsh/AOPA survey of a couple years ago) I don't need to be "set" to go slower on landings but rather prepared to power up a bit if needed.

HR

I purchased a set of VG's back when I had my 150, come to find out they were for an experimental aircraft, so I still have them. If anyone would like them I'd take $50.00 for them, I paid $100.00. I was told that I could put them on a certified aircraft with a 337, but that was to much of a pain in the a$$.

VG placement is supposed to be fairly critical for the desired effect. And to put VG's on any certified airplane will require a STC for that plane. The VG manufacturers make their money on the STC, not the VG's themselves You can order replacements for less than a buck a piece but the STC costs a couple thousand dollars.

IOW there's not much value in the bits of metal themselves.

VG placement is supposed to be fairly critical for the desired effect. And to put VG's on any certified airplane will require a STC for that plane. The VG manufacturers make their money on the STC, not the VG's themselves You can order replacements for less than a buck a piece but the STC costs a couple thousand dollars.

IOW there's not much value in the bits of metal themselves.

Is there really any value in installing them? My friend put them on his Warrior but I don't see or feel any real difference between our two planes.

Is there really any value in installing them? My friend put them on his Warrior but I don't see or feel any real difference between our two planes.

For my plane, they made a huge difference in the low-speed performance. I could tell a couple of stories, but suffice it to say that I am very, very glad to have put them on.

We put a set on both the 150 and the Stinson. Holy smokes, Batman, what a difference!!! A full on stall is now all but impossible on the Stinson, all it does is get a bit mushy. The 150's landing/stall speed is now down in the 20's.

And on x/windy days, it sure is nice.

Best $$ we ever spent on the planes.

I put them on my Baron solely to tame the OEI behavior when I first got the plane. They turned out to have far more benefit than the reduction in VMC though. The best part is that the low speed roll control is improved to the point where it's very stable right down to the (lower) stall speed.

Scott:

I've been looking into this for my plane...I'm told that (for me) the combination of the VGs and Hoerner style tips will make my hershey bar wing behave more like the warrior wing, especially on short final. Maybe in the warrior, with the already improved wing, the benefits are smaller. Many guys over on Piperowner say they perform as advertised.

Back