Do you listen to music while flying?

Do you listen to music while flying?

• Total voters
Me and my brother Cooter and my other brother Cooter....

redneck_dog_teeth_3.jpg

I have a English Chocolate Lab with teeth almost that bad. :D

Corny, I know, but I've put on Grofé while flying over the Grand Canyon. :D

In the southwest there are often long trips over expansive, remote country with not much going on over the radio. That's when I'll put on the playlist with How The West Was Won, Theme From The Magnificent Seven, The Big Country, and any number of Western TV show themes. In the Northwest it'll be the soundtrack from Ken Burns' Lewis & Clark. And the soundtrack from One Six Right is appropriate anywhere. :)

Nothing like flying late, late into the night and listening to the ADF radio talk shows, listening to the guys talking about their being kidnapped by a UFO....

Coast to Coast AM, baby!

Always listen to music flying... Bluetooth through the Lightspeed is great. I have mine set so the incoming calls do not mute the music. That feature drives me crazy! I just turn down the tunes a little when getting close to the airport. Nothing like flying upside down in the Pitts jamming some death metal :)

Negative. Have thought about finding a way to do this, but as far as I can tell there are no cheap ways. Moreover, I usually fly IFR, and need to listen for instructions/handoffs/amendments to route from ATC.

I can sell you a nice Bluetooth Lightspeed. You can make it mute or not mute when calls come in.

Music sounds great through A20's!

Music sounds great through A20's!

Yea they do. I like my CA Alofts with Bluetooth as well but I am thinking about selling them because music doesn't sound all that great with them. And you can't auto mute with them which I don't like.

Not in traffic situations, but nothing beats flying down the Baja coast with a bit of smooth jazz

I had a CD player with an AM/FM radio (those stations were interesting!). I plugged it into the music input on my intercom. The plane had a standard plug. I used to listen to the HOG report flying up to Wheatland Wyoming. Then take the old beat up police car to the cafe in Wheatland. Those were the days!

Yea they do. I like my CA Alofts with Bluetooth as well but I am thinking about selling them because music doesn't sound all that great with them. And you can't auto mute with them which I don't like.

Yes you can auto mute with the Clarity Bluetooth... It either has a switch in the battery box or you push and hold down one of the buttons. They changed them a couple of times. Call pilot USA and ask for Abram. That's who makes the Bluetooth box.

Yes you can auto mute with the Clarity Bluetooth... It either has a switch in the battery box or you push and hold down one of the buttons. They changed them a couple of times. Call pilot USA and ask for Abram. That's who makes the Bluetooth box.

Hmm interesting I will have to check that out...when I was using them it just lowered the volume of the music but I prefer it to mute. I like my Bose A20s better though still

Yes, through my iPad, which has thousands of songs saved on it...

I once made a playlist, for flying, that represented my dark sense of humor:

John Denver, Jim Croce, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Otis Redding, Patsy Cline, Aaliyah, Glen Miller, etc...to my surprise, every passenger that I've played it for has, within a couple of songs, figured out what I was up to...

That's sick.

I wish I thought of it.

I've never listened to the XM music in my plane. That part is a waste for me.
I just don't get to fly enough to create the desire for that kind of a diversion.

I listen to music. Audio panel has Bluetooth built in. Passengers love it, when I need quite I turn the music off for myself and isolate myself from the passengers. Most flights I'll just leave it on at low volume and listen to atc at a slightly higher volume. At first it was somewhat hard to concentrate but it's a learned skill

Correct. No music. I'll occasionally tune in the ADF and listen to political commentary:)
Oh c'mon now.... you can watch two entire movies on the iPad doing a redeye across the country.

On VFR flights I listen to the oldies, unless the Bride is with me then its a mix with country. No music on flights in IMC.

I sing.
Out loud.
Badly.

Which brings me to a serious pet peeve:
I want a sound track of my very own.
I want music that is appropriate to whatever the situation is at the time.
I especially want heroic music playing in the background when I'm flying, and landing.
Who do I need to kvetch to to make this happen?

True story: My youngest son is an embedded systems designer for a company that does medical devices.
He is also an amazing guitar player, plays half a dozen other instruments, and is a talented composer. He is currently writing and performing the score for a TV series.
I offered to pay the little genious to write and record a theme song for me.
He just laughed.
The little snot is out of the will!

I want music that is appropriate to whatever the situation is at the time.
I especially want heroic music playing in the background when I'm flying, and landing.

Great idea. Hook the audio player up to an accelerometer. If the landing is smooth, there will be thunderous applause. If a so-so landing, polite laughter. If a "normal" landing, shrieks of terror.

;)

I turn on the XM radio as soon as I get in the plane, I keep it muted until I reach my initial assigned altitude, usually 3000 ft, then it's either 80's, country or occasionally comedy. My wife sits in the back and doesn't use a headset, so no real conversation other than controllers.

Yes. I have 4 Bose A20s (the older ones that don't have Blotbtooth music capability) and what we do is use 3.5 mm patch cords that everyone plugs their phones into so each person can listen to their own music. We like this better than plugging a single music source into the audio panel. I could have XM through my EFIS but have no desire to.

I flew mostly IFR and have not found listening to music to be an issue whatsoever while enroute even though it never mutes since I'm not piping it through the audio panel. I do turn it off during the approach.

I don't, but I'm not opposed to it either. I do often, on a VFR flight, listen to AM talk radio using the ADF.

I miss baseball games on the ADF.

I'll sometimes play music, sometimes not. Just depends on the day.

Every time I fly...I really like my Spotify subscription. I never listen to Radio stations any more

Yes, keep it so the radio mutes the music and generally just turn it off when I'm in a busy area. My local atc has come in right when I'm singing a few times.

Back