Do you hangar when traveling?

Do you put your plane in a hangar when traveling?

• Total voters
Fly XC every year in those situations.

Your previous post wasn't about the conditions YOU fly in.
You made a statement about what conditions I "must also not fly in".
Once again, you aren't in any position to know anything about the conditions I do, or don't fly in.

You must also not fly in winter when precipitation or frost freezing to the aircraft is an issue or in thunderstorm season when hail can make you plane an instant golf ball.

If I’m on an overnight, and no severe weather is forecast, I generally put a sunshade in the window and call it good. I’ll be in the DFW area for the week this time and will put the cover on. In general the only time I hanger the plane when I’m away from home on short stays is if severe weather or ice is forecast.

A few weeks ago I was at KGPM in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and since the weather was supposed to be decent, I left the plane outside. Less than an hour after leaving the airport I started hearing talk on the radio about large storms blowing up north of Dallas. They started saying that the storms might move into Dallas so I called the FBO and asked of they could get the plane inside. When in doubt get the plane protected.

The line crew and mechanics at Aviator worked hard, moved a lot of planes around in their hanger, and got mine inside. There weren’t any reports of hail actually hitting the airport but a tornado touched down north of Dallas and a wind gust at GPM peaked at around 60 knots.

Bottom line is I slept better knowing the plane was covered. I left if inside a second night since they had moved it i. I was happily surprised when I paid the fuel bill at the end and found out that they only charged for the first nigh. They even gave me a reduced rate for that.

That kind of service is typical for Aviator at GPM but is also what I’ve encountered at other small GA airports around the country.

Your previous post wasn't about the conditions YOU fly in.
You made a statement about what conditions I "must also not fly in".
Once again, you aren't in any position to know anything about the conditions I do, or don't fly in.

True, I also don’t know if if fly a trash can.

Back