Do you actually need a 2nd class medical to obtain a commercial pilot's license?

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
This might seem like a strange question, but do you actually NEED a 2nd class medical to take a checkride for a commercial pilot's license?

I know you NEED a 2nd class medical to exercise the privileges of a commercial pilot's license.

Here's why I ask:

I currently have, and have only ever had, a 3rd class medical. I'm not due to renew my medical for some time (I'm under 40). I'm going to try to get my multi-engine rating this summer and figure it would be a good time to add on commercial, too. Can I get the add on without having that 2nd class medical in hand?

No, you only need the 2nd class to exercise privileges, not to take a check ride.

Correct, I've done 2 commercial check rides with only a 3rd class.

If you are a Veteran using a GI BILL or any assistance, you must have a 2nd class. This is so they know you can actually put your ticket to use if you do get your commercial and are able to get a paying job.

Back when I got my CP, you did. That was changed a very long time ago in order to encourage pilots who weren't flying for a living to upgrade their skills. The rule now is basically that to take a practical test, you need whatever medical certification you would need just to take the DPE for a ride. So, for a CP-Airplane, you do need at least a Third Class medical to take the ride, but for CP-Glider, you don't need any medical at all.

Back when I got my CP, you did. That was changed a very long time ago in order to encourage pilots who weren't flying for a living to upgrade their skills. The rule now is basically that to take a practical test, you need whatever medical certification you would need just to take the DPE for a ride. So, for a CP-Airplane, you do need at least a Third Class medical to take the ride, but for CP-Glider, you don't need any medical at all.

Wow, so I could (theoretically) get an ATP with just a 3rd class medical, too?

Wow, so I could (theoretically) get an ATP with just a 3rd class medical, too?

Yeah, you just couldn't exercise privileges..

It made sense for people that just wanted to up their skills, right up until the most recent simulator/ground requirements for ATP were passed...

Yeah, you just couldn't exercise privileges..

It made sense for people that just wanted to up their skills, right up until the most recent simulator/ground requirements for ATP were passed...
Those requirements only apply to a multiengine rating on the ATP, so if you're strictly SE, then those new rules don't affect you (other than removing all ME issues from the written test you will take after July 1).

Those requirements only apply to a multiengine rating on the ATP, so if you're strictly SE, then those new rules don't affect you (other than removing all ME issues from the written test you will take after July 1).

It still bugs me, there are people with a MEL Commercial that would do an ATP just to sharpen their skills... And now they won't..

It still bugs me, there are people with a MEL Commercial that would do an ATP just to sharpen their skills... And now they won't..
OTOH, if it really matters to you, you don't need a piece of paper from the FAA to motivate you to sharpen your skills. As they said in The Magnificent Seven:
Chris: Men in this line of work are not all alike. Some care about nothing but money. Others, for reasons of their own, enjoy only the danger.
Vin: And the competition.
Miguel: If he is the best with a gun and a knife, with whom does he compete?
Chris: Himself.
:wink2:

OTOH, if it really matters to you, you don't need a piece of paper from the FAA to motivate you to sharpen your skills. As they said in The Magnificent Seven:
:wink2:

That is true..... It still bugs me though :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back