Do we need the radio station license to fly into Canada?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Is this something they enforce? I am looking into flying into Canada tomorrow.

My friend never had one :)

Is this something they enforce? I am looking into flying into Canada tomorrow.

Their regulation says you do. And you also need a radiotelephone operators license to use the radio in the airplane.

Not sure how often they ask to see it, but if there is an incident / accident, I'm sure they'll look for them.

Did the trip last summer,never needed the radio station license.

Are you talking about a radio station license for your airplane or a restricted radiotelephone operator's permit for yourself?

Technically yes, but for the most part it's unenforceable. Unless you get ramp checked by the FCC re-entering the U.S., there is no chance of anyone saying anything.

Some folks have suggested filling out the paperwork and using the temporary station license included with the forms, absent-mindedly forgetting to send in the paperwork (& check).

I'd guess most folks in your situation just don't bother. If you're going beyond Canada or the Bahamas, having a valid FCC license becomes much more important.

When you are a Canadian pilot flying a Canadian aircraft Yes you do. If you are a US pilot flying an US aircraft in Canada, no you don't.

Think NAFTA, what is legal for them up there is legal for them down here. What's legal for us down here is legal for us up there.

When you are a Canadian pilot flying a Canadian aircraft Yes you do. If you are a US pilot flying an US aircraft in Canada, no you don't.

Think NAFTA, what is legal for them up there is legal for them down here. What's legal for us down here is legal for us up there.

Not NAFTA, think ICAO. That's what standardizes aviation operations across bornders of member nations.

No you don't need a radio license. FCC says you need a license only when flying outside the U.S. Industry Canada says you need a license only when flying outside Canada. Neither country can enforce the other country's requirement, unless there is some international agreement is in place. In all the years I've flown to Canada, I never bothered with the radio license.

Actually, Andrew, that's not quite right. The US *EXEMPTS* you from having a station/operators license in the US, because they have the authority to do that and they don't have the authority to extend that to other countries.

The fact that the US and Canada is lax in application of the requirement doesn't extend elsewhere in the world, by the way.

If you have a felony, DUI, or any gun crime you could find yourself in a Canadian jail for 5 years if you enter the country without expressed written permission. It is a crime to enter Canada with a criminal record without having been "rehabilitated" and paying them a $200 fine.

Last edited:
Actually, Andrew, that's not quite right. The US *EXEMPTS* you from having a station/operators license in the US, because they have the authority to do that and they don't have the authority to extend that to other countries.

The fact that the US and Canada is lax in application of the requirement doesn't extend elsewhere in the world, by the way.

You are right, it is an exemption. But Canada has the same exemption (http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html).
Since we are never in international airspace when flying between U.S and Canada, I don't see how the requirement for radio license will come into play, even if the enforcement was not lax.

Read all the rules mentioned above, and you'll see that the only time a US FAA pilot in an N-reg plane is required to have the FCC licenses on a US-Canada flight is when you are crossing the US border, and only the FCC requires it -- and I've never heard of them checking private flights on this point.

Last edited:
Nobody cares, including the Canadians.

You are right, it is an exemption. But Canada has the same exemption (http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html).
Since we are never in international airspace when flying between U.S and Canada, I don't see how the requirement for radio license will come into play, even if the enforcement was not lax.

Sounds like you're correct about that for the radio station license, but from farther down the page on that very same web site:

"Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate? Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the aeronautical radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required."

Call me stupid, but I've read every post and every link. I'm still not clear on the answer.

I am clear on "no big deal if you don't have one"

That said, I got mine back in 1984 I believe. I think it was free back then, and there was a way to get a temporary instantly. Anyway, I laminated mine about 15 years ago but is still falling apart. I wonder if there's a way to get a fresh copy??

I fly into Canada from time to time. I have never been asked for radio license. It is my understanding you do need one. The are about $15.00 for 10yrs. Easy to get.

I also think you need the 406MHz ELT in Canada.

The only time I had customs check out my plane is when we brought our son with us, he was 10yrs old at the time. Customs agent asked him if he was here of his own free will. Guess they were checking for child abduction or something. Every other time I have flown there I have called customs on phone and they give me a entrance code. Write it down and on my way.

Sure do. It's one of the easiest licenses you can get.

Not really. Trying to get an FCC radio station license is a futile attempt in Kafka-esque bureaucracy.

If anyone can get through FCC form 605 without having to make a few calls to FCC, get additional information and spend half a day chasing obscure paperwork, then I salute you. Or have you got your Special Temporary Authorization beforehand? Are you, or are you not FCC license fee exempt? Does this filing request a waiver of the commission's rule? Do you have your FCC FRN registration number?

Who knows. Be easier to go to law school and take the bar exam. And they have the audacity to call this the Quick-Form Application.

Last edited:
Not really. Trying to get an FCC radio station license is a futile attempt in Kafka-esque bureaucracy.

If anyone can get through FCC form 605 without having to make a few calls to FCC, get additional information and spend half a day chasing obscure paperwork, then I salute you. Or have you got your Special Temporary Authorization beforehand? Are you, or are you not FCC license fee exempt? Does this filing request a waiver of the commission's rule? Do you have your FCC FRN registration number?

Who knows. Be easier to go to law school and take the bar exam. And they have the audacity to call this the Quick-Form Application.

How difficult was it to get your European version?

Trying to get an FCC radio station license is a futile attempt in Kafka-esque bureaucracy.

I got mine several years ago. It was very easy, cost $60, and never expires.

Like others here, I've never been asked to show it when flying between the US and Canada. But I feel safer having it just in case.

I got mine several years ago. It was very easy, cost $60, and never expires.

Like others here, I've never been asked to show it when flying between the US and Canada. But I feel safer having it just in case.

I've been ramped in Toronto and Montreal (Airline) and had to produce it. :dunno:

A number of years I got my wallet stolen and my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit was one of the items that was missing. I completely forgot I had it and didn't replace it when I replaced everything else. I probably flew without it for a couple years including numerous trips to Canada. I finally realized I didn't have one any more after reading one of these threads. Hmmm... wait a minute.... So I applied for another one. I was surprised it cost $60. But no one in that time had questioned me about it and I can't remember anyone ever asking about it.

is this thingy still good? :D

DebbiFCCLicense3.jpg

That looks like the one I had that was stolen. :D

I think I signed in some weird color, like purple, because I was only 19 or so.

Back