Do we ever learn? (Aviation Related!!!)

W.O'Boogie

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
W. O'Boogie
In June, the Ministry of Higher Education of Saudi Arabia (home of 15 of the 19 Sept. 11 hijackers), along with the country's civil aviation authority, jointly announced scholarships for Saudi men and women for bachelor's and graduate-school study in the United States in such fields as "air traffic control," "flight safety" and "other majors related to the airline transport industry." [Arab News, 6-20-06]

Would this be called "ironic" or ......?

While I see the point you are trying to make, the United States is a leading, if not the leading, training ground for pilots around the world. Saudi Arabia is fighting what is effectively a civil war in the fight against terrorists. True, they would not be in such a situation if the House of Saud hadn't buried it's head in the sand and looked the other way all those years. The same is true of us and the war we are now having to fight. Saudi Arabia is an ally, and we cannot bar their citizens simply because of the crimes committed by a few of their citizens. Were we to do that, we would have to bar American veterans from purchasing amonium nitrate as fertilizer when they leave the service and head back to the farm because of the actions of Tim McVeigh.

W.O'Boogie said:
In June, the Ministry of Higher Education of Saudi Arabia (home of 15 of the 19 Sept. 11 hijackers), along with the country's civil aviation authority, jointly announced scholarships for Saudi men and women for bachelor's and graduate-school study in the United States in such fields as "air traffic control," "flight safety" and "other majors related to the airline transport industry." [Arab News, 6-20-06]

Would this be called "ironic" or ......?

No, it would be called normal world relations. The US is the leading place for aviation industry training. It is an industry in and of itself. A lot of legitimate aviation businesses were hurt, and several put under by losing foriegn training business. 19...we trained 19 (or 20 really) terrorists to crash airliners into buildings. What percentage of foriegn students trained that year is that? Not large, I guarantee that. What would be ironic is to not apply more stringent security clearnaces because it would constitute racial profiling. Truely, I have no problem with Arabs as a general statement, but in this current situation extra vetting is required. Sorry to all this may inconvenience, but as with everyone else, the majority often pays the penalty for the minority, it's just the way the social structure is.

Sounds to me like Saudi Arabia is giving money to their people to attend school. Much like our government does for us in certain cases. Maybe they see a shortage in that line of work. Its good for our struggling flight schools as well. Sounds like a win win to me.

Darrell111 said:
Sounds to me like Saudi Arabia is giving money to their people to attend school. Much like our government does for us in certain cases. Maybe they see a shortage in that line of work. Its good for our struggling flight schools as well. Sounds like a win win to me.

Ok, I guess you don't understand that the KSA is a huge welfare state. The Royal Family (they ARE the gov't) will pay for any training to get you off their dole. Saudis hire in expat westeners to do the technical work that doesn't rate one of them stooping to (which is most of it) and they hire whatever Africans or Afgahnis to do the grunt work that is beneeth any of them. You really need to go over there and work a hitch or two at something to get a feel for it. Then there's the entire dedicating one's life to Allah aspect. That automatically gets you dole money. Strange place from a westerners perspective.

Folks, this is heading away from aviation towards politics/religion. If it gets there, it's going in the Spin Zone.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Aircraft don't usually kill people, people kill people.

I think you meant "Aircraft don't usually kill people, people kill aircraft.:D

Back