Do strong surface winds keep you grounded?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Question: When the winds are strong and gusty, but in line (essentially) with the predominant runways in the area, does it keep you grounded, or do you fly?

Here's today's report for the DFW area. Would you go practice IFR approaches this afternoon? Runways here are mostly north/south at most airports (17/35 or 16/36).

Reported: January 11, 2007 at 5:32 AM
Valid From: January 11, 2007 at 6:00 AM
Valid Until: January 12, 2007 at 6:00 AM

From 6:00 AM: Wind 170° at 17 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Overcast 1200' (MVFR)

Temporarily from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Scattered 1200', Broken 25000' (VFR)

From 11:00 AM: Wind 180° at 20 gusting to 28 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2500' (MVFR)

From 3:00 PM: Wind 170° at 20 gusting to 27 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 3000' (VFR)

From 9:00 PM: Wind 170° at 17 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2000' (MVFR)

Temporarily from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM: Visibility 5 sm, Light Rain Showers, Broken 1200' (MVFR)

Winds like that traight down the runway don't keep me on the ground. Whether I go depends on the day's mission. If I'm staying close to the ground and just want to have fun, winds like this aren't very fun. Great for practice, but not so fun. If I'm climbing above the surface winds for an XC, I don't worry about surface winds like that. The 2000 broken is another matter.

Surface winds reasonably consistent with the runways I intend on using are no issue for me, unless I am expecting to carry a passenger who is not accustomed to GA flying; I have observed that green flyers have low thresholds for turbulence, and often believe that bumps we consider "light chop" are dangerous to the aircraft's structure.

Reassurances are of little value at that point, so I avoid flying folks like that, at times like this.

I actually rather enjoy a reasonable degree of challenge from the wind.

ill go in that, but not if im looking for a "fun" flight, because winds like that, even when aligned with the runway, are not fun. I usually try to get my students out in that type of wind to expose them to the "fun"

I'm with everyone above. If I'm going to just be hanging around in the pattern high winds are not fun. But if I'm departing on a long XC - i'll depart in them and climb out over the "fun" the best I can.

When flying with my wife I really try to make sure I'm not going to arrive in that kind to those kinds of winds either - but sometimes it just can't be helped. Of course I wouldn't depart on a long XC w/ 2000 ft ceilings (unless there were verified higher ceilings really, really close).

Sounds like fun - let's go! KFTW sure has long enough runways for me. I usually just carry a little extra power when it's that gusty and go easy on the flaps, oh, and I try to fly a 172 or bigger, not a kite (150). Even though that can be fun, too! A Garmin 196 can't handle negative ground speeds very well ...

Hey as long as it's aligned with the runway I'm taking off from and the runway I have to ultimatly land on, it's a go. I'll even go out in that just to see if I can find a direct x-wind runway nearby to attempt landing at just for the struggle and pratice.

Missa

Normally I would fly IF the winds do not exceed my personal X-wind limit. But the last time I did that it was so darned bumpy that I hit my head a couple of times and had a hard time getting the plane down. Next time I will think twice.

I appreciate all the replies. I'm thinking about going up for some practice IFR approaches in the G1000 with the instructor. Bumps I don't mind; might actually make the IFR practice more realistic, challenging, rewarding, and build self confidence than a smooth day.

With a willing instructor I wouldn't let it stop me. Strong winds can be a great confidence builder, provided you have somebody watching over your shoulder.

I was up a few days ago with an instructor in winds 18 gusting to 30 something, and with a slight crosswind component. You have to be careful taxing on the ground in winds like that. One of the planes had moved out from its tiedowns under the strong winds. It was hard work for sure, but fantastic training.
Some of the best 100 dollars I've spend in aviation training.

Well if they get my plane fixed...I am going to go up in it. I am broke in DTO. I am hoping for to be finished by 8pm tonight.

If I'm up for it, which is almost always, I'll fly no matter the wind direction, even if it's a direct crosswind into the mid-thirtys.

It has been a LONG time since I cancelled a flight because of wind. Having routinely flown in Albuquerque where the winds are often stiff crosswinds, say 260@30g41 landing on runway 22, I think I'm ok with it. If I have enough rudder, I'll land. If I don't, I'll land elsewhere.

That said - for just having fun in the pattern, I might be a bit more reluctant, because crosswinds are not a whole lot of fun.

Those winds cause more than "light chop" when they bounce off stuff on the ground.

You also have to consider whether you'll find all the runways along the way so nicely aligned into the wind.

When I took off at night into howling winds I was amazed that was it was actually smooth once I got above 2000 feet AGL or so. I just had a long southbound flight into the wind.

I hit the wind shear as I landed. When I drifted backwards off the long final course with the the nose pointed like 45 degrees away I did one go around and was successful when I stayed down to pattern altitude. Lotsa fun.

Last edited:
Well if they get my plane fixed...I am going to go up in it. I am broke in DTO. I am hoping for to be finished by 8pm tonight.

I'm at GPM now, headed to 52F, which is just south of DTO. Give me a call on my cell if you're still at DTO, I'll stop in and say hi.

817-Tree Two Zero-One Tree Tree Six

Last edited:
Those winds cuase more than "light chop" when they hit stuff on the ground.

You also have to consider whether you'll find all the runways along the way so nicely aligned into the wind.

When I took off at night into howling winds I was amazed that was it was actually smooth once I got above 2000 feet AGL or so. I just had a long southbound flight into the wind.

I hit the wind shear as I landed. When I drifted backwards off the long final course with the the nose pointed like 45 degrees away I did one go around and was successful when I stayed down to pattern altitude. Lotsa fun.

Coming back from NC this past summer we had some mountain wave. Really bumpy below it but smooth as silk above it. My airspeed was 117kts but my ground speed was around 60 miles per hour. Over Ohio I could see the interstate down below and the cars were going faster than me.

My wind limits are--pretty high. I've never had a day that was VFR that was too windy.

The more wind--The more fun. But I like challenges in flying.

When it comes to wind, I always rember the story about two brothers that built a homebuilt plane, neither one of them had a pilots license or a flying lesson, and the wind was blowing 27kt. on that N. C. Sandy beach. Now if I can't fly in that much wind in my 182, with a pilots license in my back pocket I had better put a add in the trade a plane. It is nice to have the wind somewhat lined up with a runway, and as Spike mentioned not have a green passenger with you. Start out with a wind you can handle and work up until you feel good about winds and cross winds. Just my $.02. Bob

You certainly want to be able to taxi in it. I've read stories of people who landed fine but had to get help from people walking the wings to taxi.

The other thing to consider is that the wind's effect will depend on where you are. I can think of one airport that I wouldn't want to fly into with a large steady wind because of the line of trees on the approach. The turbulence and potential wind shear due to those trees could be dangerous, depending on the aircraft and the pilot's skill.

You certainly want to be able to taxi in it. I've read stories of people who landed fine but had to get help from people walking the wings to taxi.

The other thing to consider is that the wind's effect will depend on where you are. I can think of one airport that I wouldn't want to fly into with a large steady wind because of the line of trees on the approach. The turbulence and potential wind shear due to those trees could be dangerous, depending on the aircraft and the pilot's skill.

I landed at Cascade Locks, Or. one time. It is located in the Columbia river Gorge, and the wind was really blowing up the river (Out of the West). Cascade Locks CZK is lined with trees on both sides and opens up right out over the river. When I took off the wind about turned me over as I came out behind those trees. Landing earlier wasn't the funest thing I had ever done either. Bob

Strong winds absolutely keep me grounded. I don't need to prove my bravado to anyone and since I only fly for fun there's no point in going out on a day when it's no fun to fly. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was flying than in the air wishing I was on the ground. I've been on the return leg of a trip many times and encountered x-winds of 25 kts or more and I'm competent enough to get it down but it sure isn't any fun.

Question: When the winds are strong and gusty, but in line (essentially) with the predominant runways in the area, does it keep you grounded, or do you fly?

Here's today's report for the DFW area. Would you go practice IFR approaches this afternoon? Runways here are mostly north/south at most airports (17/35 or 16/36).

From 6:00 AM: Wind 170° at 17 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Overcast 1200' (MVFR)

From 11:00 AM: Wind 180° at 20 gusting to 28 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2500' (MVFR)

From 3:00 PM: Wind 170° at 20 gusting to 27 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 3000' (VFR)

From 9:00 PM: Wind 170° at 17 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2000' (MVFR)

Temporarily from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM: Visibility 5 sm, Light Rain Showers, Broken 1200' (MVFR)
Not sure I've practice landings in that but I have flown approaches with somewhat gusty winds. We dont like to get real gusty with low overcast skies though. I believe our limit is around 30 for upper level classmen/pilots. I dont like going over about 25 (not direct X) for personal limits until I get into something bigger. But I guess you get stuff like that out in OK anyways. It all depends on your abilities and the type of airplane I think.

No.

Strong winds aloft through passes or across ridges tend to keep me grounded especially if I am not familiar with the topography. One is much more dangerous than the other.

But then again I learned in windy, gusty western Arizona. I don't think I made a landing that wasn't crosswind until my 15th hour of training or so. And I disagree with the posters above that winds aren't fun - I guess I am a masochist but I think crosswind landings are extremely fun, especially in a taildragger! :cheerswine:

The worst crosswind landing situation I've dealt with was at Flagstaff - there are thick pine trees and low knobs on both sides of the runway - instead of finding the moderating influence of ground effect near the runway you encounter lots of swirls and shear instead.

When it comes to wind, I always rember the story about two brothers that built a homebuilt plane, neither one of them had a pilots license or a flying lesson, and the wind was blowing 27kt. on that N. C. Sandy beach. Now if I can't fly in that much wind in my 182, with a pilots license in my back pocket I had better put a add in the trade a plane.

Good point, Bob! :yes:

I've never cancelled for wind. Worst I've flown in was 25G31 30-40 degrees off runway heading. I was swapping hood time with a CFII friend in KS. When he was flying the ILS, I was looking at the runway over the right-hand side of the cowling! (Yes, from the left seat!)

Usually, it seems like if the wind is too much worse than that, there's some other weather phenomena that prevent flying, like +TSRA, tornadoes, etc.

Strong winds absolutely keep me grounded. I don't need to prove my bravado to anyone and since I only fly for fun there's no point in going out on a day when it's no fun to fly. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was flying than in the air wishing I was on the ground. I've been on the return leg of a trip many times and encountered x-winds of 25 kts or more and I'm competent enough to get it down but it sure isn't any fun.

I know no one who does it for bravado although such types exist almost everywhere. For me, the fun part is minimal while flying heavy Xwinds although it has its moments and I concentrate on correct reflexes, co-ordination, etc.

The most fun seems to come after the demanding flights are over and tied down and I'm at home.

I'm at GPM now, headed to 52F, which is just south of DTO. Give me a call on my cell if you're still at DTO, I'll stop in and say hi.

817-Tree Two Zero-One Tree Tree Six

Sorry, I did not check the webboard more. I was busy in the hanger watching the plane. It was bumpy from gear retraction to landing at Tulsa. I was downwind at Tulsa doing 150kts indicated...GS showed 196kts. It wasnt smooth. :) Maybe next time, we shall meet.

I've never cancelled for wind. Worst I've flown in was 25G31 30-40 degrees off runway heading. I was swapping hood time with a CFII friend in KS. When he was flying the ILS, I was looking at the runway over the right-hand side of the cowling! (Yes, from the left seat!)
Kent,
That's the advantage of having X-Wind runways! It's unusual, but by no means unheard of, for us to have direct corsswinds of 25G35. I've canceled for that before, and, for a pleasure flight, I'd cancel for that today. Generally, winds like that don't stick around for more than a few hours. Land at a nearby airport more aligned with the runway and complete the trip when the winds calm down a little.

Heck, unless I was in a Cessna 188, I wouldn't even worry about those as cross winds. If they're down the runway, no worries.

Nah. Hell, I just request a routine SVFR and boogie on down the runway trusting that winds and everything else will get better a couple a hundred feet AGL.

Regards.

-JD

P.S. I got my logbook landmark landing on that day and had to fight that damned crosswind all the way to the ground and then some at Stephenville. What I wouldn't have given for a classic straight-tail. . .

Back