Do pilots make dangerous old people?

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Just wondering you know. The thrill with speed over the years.

No, but Obama makes being old dangerous...next comes the death panels!!

I hope so,as I'm on my way to being old.

Went to a funeral Saturday for an old friend. He was 97. He'd flown Lancasters in the war, got shot down on his 29th mission (out of a tour of 30) and broke his back. He didn't fly again until he was in his early 70s, when he bought a Murphy Renegade and flew it all over the place. He voluntarily gave it up at the age of 93, feeling that it was probably time to do so.

He once said that when he climbed up to fill the tank from his five-gallon can, he felt all of his 91 years. When he crawled into the cockpit, he felt 19 years old again.

All I know is that aside from hearing loss making things a bit difficult around the circuit, he was a completely competent pilot until he quit. I know of guys half his age that can't fly like he did.

If I'm still around at 91 the only thing I'll be flying is a wheelchair, I'm sure.

Dan

No, but Obama makes being old dangerous...next comes the death panels!!

You're joking, but it might easily happen. The steadily mounting cost of health care eats up more and more of the GDP, whether through taxes or insurance premiums, and younger taxpayers/policy participants won't stand still while we take all of their income to keep us old guys alive. Sooner or later they're going to tell us to roll up a sleeve and hold still for a minute...

Dan

Theres my theory learn young and you can fly well into old age.
Went to a funeral Saturday for an old friend. He was 97. He'd flown Lancasters in the war, got shot down on his 29th mission (out of a tour of 30) and broke his back. He didn't fly again until he was in his early 70s, when he bought a Murphy Renegade and flew it all over the place. He voluntarily gave it up at the age of 93, feeling that it was probably time to do so.

He once said that when he climbed up to fill the tank from his five-gallon can, he felt all of his 91 years. When he crawled into the cockpit, he felt 19 years old again.

All I know is that aside from hearing loss making things a bit difficult around the circuit, he was a completely competent pilot until he quit. I know of guys half his age that can't fly like he did.

If I'm still around at 91 the only thing I'll be flying is a wheelchair, I'm sure.

Dan

Back