Do I Need Professional Help?

p8cleared2land

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
p8cleared2land
I'm running a half-marathon on Saturday (robiecreek.com). It's a steep one, but I'm hoping to break two hours. And nothing else. :D

Any other maniacs out there? Feel free to deluge me with advice. "Don't do it," has already been proffered.

Do it enough times so that you know you can do it and achieve your time goals. Then bag the M/HM, and stick to shorter runs that are a lot more fun.

Good luck, and don't forget to breathe frequently!

Dan

Go right on ahead. 13 isn't so bad, and 2 hours sounds entirely reasonable. That works out to just a about 9 min. pace.

Advice: get lots of sleep the night before the night before(tonight), and go for a very short run on Friday and stretch for a long time. Also I'd eat something very light (no powerbars) about an hour or two before the race. 13 is a long way to go on no breakfast, you'll run much better, and stronger with food in your system, especially if you have been training in the afternoon.

How much have you've been training?

I love running, ran in college and still do about 25 to 35 a week.

infotango said:
How much have you've been training?

Thanks for the advice! I've run for years, but this is my first race. I've been running ~45 mi/wk, with some speed training and hill training. I am sloooow, but love it!

The race is at noon. I've been running mostly afternoons. The weather is expected to be ~60* with 40% chance of rain. The first 3 mi are paved, then dirt, or rather, mud. I am running in road shoes as that is my only option.

Have fun! It's your first time racing the distance so, no matter what your effort, you will PR. Time goals, even conservative ones, can mess you up the first time through. Especially with your course, you may be tempted to go out a little faster to "put time in the bank" while still on asphalt. So, as much as possible, I'd say forget the time and just see what the day brings.

And no, you don't need professional help. But when that half becomes a full marathon and when it's after 2.4 miles swimming and 112 miles biking then...well...I'm not one to judge! ;)

13's not so bad. It's that last 0.1 that'll get you! (Just kidding.) Gu and water are what keep me going on long runs. I used to do that length with just water, but would end up shaky and shivering after my run without some sustenance. Gu is great stuff.

Enjoy it while you can. I love long runs, and have done long Sunday runs for decades, but I'm getting old enough that my joints are starting to protest loudly enough that I'm having more trouble ignoring them.

Judy

p8cleared2land said:
"Don't do it," has already been proffered.

You won't hear that from me. Did the Marine Corps marathon in '92, haven't really run seriously since then. I ran with two other guys, we pulled of a 3:30 or so, not too bad.

Sore knees for a while afterwards. Sometimes I think I should try another one...:dunno:

If you've been doing 45 a week, you will have no problem at all with 13. I'd bet you will see a faster time than two hours, but don't kill yourself in the first half, and don't worry about your speed at all. Just do what feels comfortable.

Noon is good and this time of year, heat shouldn't be too much of an issue, I wouldn't bother with sunblock, it clogs the pores, and you will not be able to cool. And the road shoes won't slow you down a bit, I ran a xc PR one year in trainers.
Eat a good breakfast and good luck!

Let us know how you do.

"When I feel the urge to run, I lay down with a cold beer until the urge passes." :)

All kidding aside - best of luck! I think you runners are awesome! A little teched in the head, but awesome indeed! My daughter and son-in-law are training for the Boulder Bolder coming up soon, and I'm surrounded at work by distance runners. So far it hasn't rubbed off on me!

Honestly, God didn't build me for distance running...I played center in football and wrestled at 195 lb. in high school.

gkainz said:
"When I feel the urge to run, I lay down with a cold beer until the urge passes." :)

Ok who here has heard of Hash clubs??

I have spent a lot of time in Asia whee hashing for ex-pats is a pretty big deal. In case you are wondering what it is it has nothing to do with the drug hash. Instead it can best be described as drinkers who have a running problem.

The idea is simple you run from one drinking area to another. There are trails and pitfalls, the FRBs will sometimes change the signs to throw off the rest to ensure they have more alcohol to drink. It is great fun!!

I'm a half marathoner myself. Never got into the full marathon, it just can't be healthy :eek:

Carb up the night before, lots of pasta or rice. Next morning I usually eat something light like yogurt and a small granola bar, or perhaps fruit.

Begin paying attention to hydration a couple days before (if you don't all the time ;) ) That way you won't feel you have to superhydrate right before the race, and then wast 30 seconds or a minute having to pee in the middle of the race!

My pace - I start slower and try to build speed throughout the distance. Works for me, not everyone agrees. I usually place around 1:35-1:40.

Main thing is have fun!

You're asking a board full of airplane fanatics if you professional need help for doing something that's a little off the wall. :rofl:

I say go for it and don't let anyone discourage you if you can physically do it.

p8cleared2land said:
Any other maniacs out there?

If you want to join a bunch of maniacs, come to COS mid-late summer for the Pikes Peak Marathon. 14ish miles one way from Manitou at 6400MSL to the summit at 14110MSL. IIRC the record is 2 hours going up up. Round trip is under 3 hours.

I did it! Here are my impressions--skip to the bottom for...uh...the bottom line. :D Thank you again for the hints and encouragement--they REALLY helped!

In the Boise area, it seems to be a sort of status symbol to be able to say, "Yeah, I ran Robie." The 2400 bib #s sold out in February during the first hour and a half. Being somewhat visually oriented, I couldn't help but stare at the other 2399 elitists in line when we picked up our packets three days before the race. They were dressed in everything from jeans to business suits and looked just like ordinary folks. I felt a small sense of relief as I too, am just an ordinary folk.

But something happened. On race morning I showed up in my almost ordinary sweats--they're made out of some fabric guaranteed to magically make your sweat do something that, through some nebulous scientific process, makes you run faster). I looked around. The ordinary folks had been replaced by Olympian gods and goddesses dressed in outfits that cost more than the pickup I drove to get to the race. They were dressed like Spiderman, and Catwoman, and some weren't hardly dressed at all. They had fancy fanny packs, belts, camel backs, and mp3 players. At least I had an mp3 player. Runners use those to mask the sound of their hearts trying to beat their way out of their ribcages. At least I think that's what they're for.

Each year the race starts differently. The race directors have got to be a fun group of people, and perhaps that is why this race is so popular. The theme this year was "Hound of the Baskervilles." I loved that story as a child. There was a band playing, and someone took four hound dogs up on the stage. They showed the hounds a raccoon and the hounds started howling. Then the runners howled. That went on for a couple of minutes. I fiddled with my mp3 player. I wished I had taken off my sweatshirt--it was going to be too hot. There was no time to take it to the truck that hauled everyone's dry clothes to the finish. I hated to just toss it, even though it had only cost 99c at a used clothing store. It had gone a lot of miles with me. Besides, the color was good on me. It only weighs maybe six ounces. I tied it around my waist. Then someone yelled, "Go!" and we were off. I had determined not to go out fast. I would run my normal long-run pace and not look at my watch too much. The first couple of miles wind through the foothills above Boise. Both sides of the street are lined with very nice homes with incredible views. I felt like a rock in the middle of a creek--runners were streaming past me by the hundreds. I tried not to look, and kept plugging along. I figured the real runners were cutting to the inside corners on each curve. I wasn't sure that would be a good idea for me. Heaven forbid that I should trip someone and they tear their Spiderman outfit. I ran up the middle of the road. Then I noticed a line of little kids standing on the edge of the road with their hands out for runners to hit. I cut over to the side and hit little hands as I went past. People were out on balconies and lawns cheering us on. They had sound systems set up playing music like the theme to Rocky.

A little over three miles into the race, the pavement ends. I hit the pavement at 28 minutes. The road winds up through a very narrow canyon. It seemed very hot, the canyon filled with sweaty bodies. It was very quiet--all you could hear were hundreds of people breathing. It was a little eery, and almost hypnotic. I turned on my mp3 player.

Every mile or so, there was an aid station. They had water, bananas, and oranges. I don't usually drink water when running or backpacking. I decided to not drink much water. Also, I had tried to "hydrate" myself the day or so before the race, the result being that I was up all night before the race. I woke up feeling bloated, and my eyes were puffy. Even the most beautiful Catwoman outfit would not have improved my appearance. At mile four I saw a runner vomiting violently at the side of the road. That became a regular sight. That, and the sight of runners writhing on the ground, holding a leg. It scared me.

Around mile six the crowds were thinner. A lot of runners were talking. Talking helps regulate your breathing, but I didn't find anyone who was running my pace. Most were going faster. A beautiful woman passed me. She looked relaxed and graceful. I realized that I was a little tense and tried to copy her form. Until she disappeared out of sight, anyway. Mile 7-8 is extremely steep. Most people walked. I kept up my run, but the walkers were passing me. I was afraid to stop, because I wasn't sure I'd get started again. My six ounce sweatshirt had morphed into a ten pound weight slapping my thighs. I considered tossing it. Near the top was "Temptation Station." The local Hash House Harriers were dressed in bikinis (men and women) with their faces painted to look like dogs. They were shoving shots of whiskey, cigars, beer, and dog dishes filled with Twinkies at the runners. I passed on all of it, then almost grabbed a Twinkie. I hadn't had one in years. But, the thought of painfully trying to cough dry Twinkie crumbs out of my lungs changed my mind.

Speaking of mind, you have a lot of time to think while running. I thought about why I would run a race like this. I had nothing to prove, and didn't care about beating any one. Perhaps it was just an exercise in uniting mind and body to achieve the best results possible. My mind and body had been fighting all the way up the hill.
Mind: Go faster, body.
Body: Yeah, right. You have the easy part.
Mind: Oh no! Did you see that guy vomiting? Slow down!
Body: I'm going as slowly as I can.

Near the top, the pine trees smelled wonderful.
Mind: You're SMELLING? You're not breathing out your mouth--go faster!

I hit the top, around eight miles, at 1:40. I glanced at my watch. In order to break two hours, I would need to run 3 min. miles the rest of the way down. Oh well. For me, the hard part was past. I am able to move quickly downhill, letting gravity carry me. I yelled, "WOOHOOHOOOOO" as I took off. A lot of other runners started yelling also. NO ONE passed me on the way down. It was very muddy--Boise Search and Rescue members were standing at the corners saying, "Be careful, stay to the outside, lotsa mud here." I ran the last five miles in 38 minutes. Somewhere on the way down, my mind and body stopped talking altogether. I was numb from the waist down. I slid my hand down to my hip to see if my sweatshirt was still there. It was.

Bottom line: I finished at 2:18:24.2. They handed us dog tags with the name of the race and the year on it. They handed out "space blankets." We got T-shirts. They had a band and food and beer and water. It was a party, and I celebrated with all the other folks, folks like me who had run a race.

(Oh, and I escaped injury. In fact, I was not sore the next day. No blisters, but one sore spot where the timing-chip ankle bracelet rubbed.)

Last edited:
p8cleared2land said:
Bottom line: I finished at 2:18:24.2. They handed us dog tags with the name of the race and the year on it. They handed out "space blankets." We got T-shirts. They had a band and food and beer and water. It was a party, and I celebrated with all the other folks, folks like me who had run a race.

Very nice!

Great writeup! Thanks for posting!
I'm sorry you didn't meet your time goal, but 2:18 is still pretty respectable for a half marathon, and hey you finished! And didn't need to walk! You really stepped up the pace on the last few miles. And if you were able to cover the last 5 miles of a 13 mile race at sub eight pace, you are obviously in pretty good shape. Pacing is hard.

Some after the fact advice (if you run next year):
Next time wear less clothing for the race. Anything above 40 degrees is shorts weather for a race, maybe throw in a pair of running gloves. Warm up in warm stuff, and then leave it in the truck.

As for the other people: you shouldn't worry about them. Some people get a kick out of wearing expensive running gear. The last race I ran was in Jersey (I don't race anymore), I came in third, wearing a pair of ratty running shorts, trainers and no shirt. Everybody around me was wearing some pretty fancy stuff. Looking crappy is a point of pride for me.

Maybe get a friend to run with next time, too. If you both run the same pace you have a much better chance of keeping a steady speed, which I think is the ONLY reason you didn't come in under 2.

All in all good job! You finished! Congrats! Go for a slow run today, it will help with the healing.

Last edited:
WOW, CONGRATS!

45 miles a WEEK? a week? If you added up the amount I run I bet I don't reach that in a year. (I do walk though, but not nearly that much either).

Nice race! I didn't expect to see a race report here. I am a runner also. It sounds like a fun race. Congrats!

George

Thank you again, everyone! Honestly, I was looking for as much advice as I could get! It was a positive experience for my first race/endurance test. And, although I didn't title it well, I suspected that I would not only get good advice, but no one here would ask me "why?"

Petra :)

Back