Do I need a medical ?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
3rd class that is. My medical has run out, I was on a special issuance for diabieties, and staying below 125 morning blood tests, and have a A1C count of 6.4 this month.

Should I re-new? or fly with out the 3rd class medical?
I do not carry Pax for hire, Simply fly for fun on clear days, no IFR.

I've read the new rulings still don't know.

Memory says the FAA's target was 6 months from whenever-in-July the legislation was approved to issue the new regs. We aren't there yet. Then there's another 6-month grace period for them to catch up. By 12 months after approval, if new rules haven't been put into effect, we are good to fly without a Class III medical, but just the regular-doctor-signed checklist that we have discussed / examined everything in the list and are fit to fly. Then at some point, the new regs will be issued under the passed legislation and we will have to do whatever they say.

I just renewed my Class III today, since the old one was set to expire on Monday.

Other than exercising sport pilot privileges (in a light sport aircraft), flying without a medical is not an option until the FAA either issues regulations to implement the new legislation, or one year passes after the effective date of the legislation. After that, it will be necessary to get signed off by a doctor every four years. (It will also be necessary to take an online course every two years, once it is available.)

I don't recall what the new law says, if anything, about SIs for diabetes.

Today? You need a medical unless you're flying something that meets LSA parameters, and under Sport PIlot privileges. If/when the new rules go into effect you're good to go -- but that won't be for a while yet.

You still need it for now. I renewed mine in October. Probably my last one (I hope!) unless I plan to get and exercise a commercial certificate.

John

Just break the law and fly with no medical.
Start looking up people you know on the FAA Web Site. You'll be amazed at how many people just don't bother with a medical.
:cool:

Hell I used to knew of ones who didnt even have any kind of pilot certificate, let alone a medical, but did own their plane, and flew it.

Last edited:
I you can get your doc to write, "I now consider that he has "Metabolic syndrome" (or pre-diabetes) and those lab values are <90 days old, your AME can issue you right off and CANCEL the SI.
:)

Bruce

I you can get your doc to write, "I now consider that he has "Metabolic syndrome" (or pre-diabetes) and those lab values are <90 days old, your AME can issue you right off and CANCEL the SI.
:)

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, the appointment is Monday, the blood work was done last week. I'm at 6.4 on the A1C numbers.

See post 8:

get your doc to write, "I now consider that he has "Metabolic syndrome" (or pre-diabetes) .......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back