Do I need a BFR?

Your right, it is all in the wording...my medical was called back by the FAA after I had a stint put in my artery I agree the any or NO is different. thank you for trying....Scotty
Are you saying that you applied for a medical and were denied, or that you self-grounded after your surgery?

Are you saying that you applied for a medical and were denied, or that you self-grounded after your surgery?
skyward, FAA had an issue with my medical that was not worked out and then got the STINT in my artery , hence they revoked my medical...to get it back I would have to take care of those issues plus I've had prostate cancer and other issues that would make getting it back financially impossible. Thank you for your reply....Scotty

Eddie, Thank you for trying to help me. I do very much appreciate it. My problem is to fly a sport airplane using your drivers license as medical requires that your state you have no medical condition.....there is a list of conditions if a person is flying with one of them they are cheating...for example has ADHA your were lucky that your healthy and I do hope you stay that way....enjoy your instructing....Scotty
There is no list.

There are enough regulations out there that we don't need to be making things up.

skyward, FAA had an issue with my medical that was not worked out and then got the STINT in my artery , hence they revoked my medical...to get it back I would have to take care of those issues plus I've had prostate cancer and other issues that would make getting it back financially impossible. Thank you for your reply....Scotty
Sorry to hear that, but we do have members in Texas with airplanes. Maybe you could go up with one of them sometime? Or at least attend a get-together?

"There are enough regulations out there that we don't need to be making things up"

Amen!! For example, every now and then someone will say you need to have your safety pilot sign your logbook with his cert number, or that you need to be somehow certified to fly in the right seat.

And don't get me start on 'logging v. being'!

And for heaven's sake, don't go writing the chief counsel asking for a rule interpretation unless your livelihood depends on the answer. In which case you're probably asking a question to which you can't stand the answer.

Sorry to hear that, but we do have members in Texas with airplanes. Maybe you could go up with one of them sometime? Or at least attend a get-together?
Thank You for your thoughts , flying where I am is almost nothing , you are right about finding someone might help me and possibly them. I tried going to an EAA Chapter meeting but most were like me older and not very interested in building or new younger pilots...to be fair one person building an RV-12 another kind person with Cherokee 140 that flew some young eagles...my understanding was to take part in that you have to be vetted . They do make it hard for an old GA guy...and the weather down here got cold, it's going to get down in the 60's tonight..heater time...Scotty

There is no list.

There are enough regulations out there that we don't need to be making things up.
Geoffrey, you win ..there is no list ....or is there? I see you probably fly for a living, I hope your never faced with any of the things on this no list....the Coronary heart disease is the one that got me. 4th down. You go 6 months then start the process of getting your medical back. What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?
The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is adequately controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification contingent on periodic reports.
  • Angina pectoris
  • Bipolar disease
  • Cardiac valve replacement
  • Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant
  • Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
  • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
  • Epilepsy
  • Heart replacement
  • Myocardial infarction
  • Permanent cardiac pacemaker
  • Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
  • Psychosis
  • Substance abuse
  • Substance dependence
  • Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.

Other conditions not specifically listed in the regulations are also disqualifying. For further information refer to the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.
Capt. Thorpe.....Have a great flying day. Scotty

I just posted my first mean response....I feel bad about it but sometimes right is right ...we are all here to have fun and enjoy not to be mean . I'm not a know it all for sure but I do try..

@Scotty understand you said it's a financial limitation but have you spoken with an expert in these cases? It depends on the exact issues with the heart, but some conditions can be issued as special issuance medicals.

I know someone who was back in the air six months after a heart attack. That's not common but it's also not impossible --
Depending on the specifics of the case.

You need an expert like Doctor Bruce Chien or others who specialize in difficult medicals, and have to follow their instructions to the T.

And I do understand the problem may be that you've talked to one of these folks and the tests needed are too expensive under some circumstances.

Just mentioning it because many people are fooled by AMEs who simply don't know the process and make it too long and drug out and wait for FAA to ask for things instead of the other way around. You want to go in fully prepared to demand a "yes" from information someone knows about the concerns they have, not the usual doing it all backward once they find something and start asking for this, then that, then this, then that.

Have you spoken with an AME who you feel confident could get all the right information to FAA in a single pass and not mess around? If not... Bruce or someone is worth a phone call and a consulting fee.

@Scotty understand you said it's a financial limitation but have you spoken with an expert in these cases? It depends on the exact issues with the heart, but some conditions can be issued as special issuance medicals.

I know someone who was back in the air six months after a heart attack. That's not common but it's also not impossible --
Depending on the specifics of the case.

You need an expert like Doctor Bruce Chien or others who specialize in difficult medicals, and have to follow their instructions to the T.

And I do understand the problem may be that you've talked to one of these folks and the tests needed are too expensive under some circumstances.

Just mentioning it because many people are fooled by AMEs who simply don't know the process and make it too long and drug out and wait for FAA to ask for things instead of the other way around. You want to go in fully prepared to demand a "yes" from information someone knows about the concerns they have, not the usual doing it all backward once they find something and start asking for this, then that, then this, then that.

Have you spoken with an AME who you feel confident could get all the right information to FAA in a single pass and not mess around? If not... Bruce or someone is worth a phone call and a consulting fee.
Nate. thank you for you beautiful response, you prove we all care..My stint would be an easy fix but other problems I've had would make the paper work near impossible. Even if I could get medical back going through the reinstatement process would not be worth it financially . I'm sad to say there is not much GA flying down here. Scotty

Geoffrey, you win ..there is no list ....or is there?...What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?

1) Of course there's a list of disqualifying conditions for a medical. Where the confusion lies is there is no "list" for a Sport Pilot with a driver's license* - it's up to him or her to determine that he or she has no condition that would affect the safety of a flight, and that's much more subjective.

2) I believe what you have is a "stent", not a "stint".

*As long as a medical has never been denied nor revoked.

Other conditions not specifically listed in the regulations are also disqualifying. For further information refer to the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.
Capt. Thorpe.....Have a great flying day. Scotty
Disqualifying for what?

Where in that guide does it say that these conditions are disqualifying for operations that do not require a medical such as part 103, gliders, sport pilot or hot air balloon?

This is a guide for medical examiners. Medical examiners issue medical certificates. The FARs give the Federal Air Surgeon the authority to issue or deny medical certificates. Period. See 67.407 and 183.21. There is no comparable regulation giving the Federal Air Surgeon the authority to issue, deny, approve, or disapprove flight privileges beyond issuing or denying medical certificates. Also, look at 61.53 - for operations requiring a certificate you are not to fly if you, and I quote, are "unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary". This is where the list applies. But for operations that do not require a certificate, the requirement is quite different: you can not operate if you "knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner." Some may argue that this is a more stringent condition than simply being able to bluff you way through an AME's cursory exam, but that is another topic.

So, while there may be a "list" that is "disqualifying" for certificates (but you can also get a special issue even if you are on the list, so it's not a total disqualify), there is no "list" for those that do not require a certificate. Nor is there any special issue process for those that do not require a certificate - simply because it is not required. Now, it would make sense that if you have one of the conditions listed, one would have to think long and hard (and consult with a competent medical authority) about the potential consequences and risk to oneself and the public before undertaking the operation of a vehicle such as an LSA or Ford Focus. But, under the FAA regulations, these are not automatically disqualifying. There is no "list"

I don't fly for a living - the "Capt." shtick predates P.O.A. and is unrelated to aviation.

Good luck with your heart conditions - I understand that it totally sucks and the FAA paperwork nonsense doesn't help at all. Unless you are flying for a living, may I suggest that you give some thought to turning your back on the whole special issue process (unless your last medical was denied / revoked) and just enjoy your flying once you have recovered sufficiently. A little LSA taildragger can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys. (Not that I understand why a barrel of monkey would be considered the gold standard when it comes to fun...)

Good luck.

Disqualifying for what?

Where in that guide does it say that these conditions are disqualifying for operations that do not require a medical such as part 103, gliders, sport pilot or hot air balloon?

This is a guide for medical examiners. Medical examiners issue medical certificates. The FARs give the Federal Air Surgeon the authority to issue or deny medical certificates. Period. See 67.407 and 183.21. There is no comparable regulation giving the Federal Air Surgeon the authority to issue, deny, approve, or disapprove flight privileges beyond issuing or denying medical certificates. Also, look at 61.53 - for operations requiring a certificate you are not to fly if you, and I quote, are "unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary". This is where the list applies. But for operations that do not require a certificate, the requirement is quite different: you can not operate if you "knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner." Some may argue that this is a more stringent condition than simply being able to bluff you way through an AME's cursory exam, but that is another topic.

So, while there may be a "list" that is "disqualifying" for certificates (but you can also get a special issue even if you are on the list, so it's not a total disqualify), there is no "list" for those that do not require a certificate. Nor is there any special issue process for those that do not require a certificate - simply because it is not required. Now, it would make sense that if you have one of the conditions listed, one would have to think long and hard (and consult with a competent medical authority) about the potential consequences and risk to oneself and the public before undertaking the operation of a vehicle such as an LSA or Ford Focus. But, under the FAA regulations, these are not automatically disqualifying. There is no "list"

I don't fly for a living - the "Capt." shtick predates P.O.A. and is unrelated to aviation.

Good luck with your heart conditions - I understand that it totally sucks and the FAA paperwork nonsense doesn't help at all. Unless you are flying for a living, may I suggest that you give some thought to turning your back on the whole special issue process (unless your last medical was denied / revoked) and just enjoy your flying once you have recovered sufficiently. A little LSA taildragger can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys. (Not that I understand why a barrel of monkey would be considered the gold standard when it comes to fun...)

Good luck.
Thank you , mine was revoked , the FAA sent me a letter asking me to return my medical until issues are taken care of. I have reason and, so does the FAA know, that there are problems...no LSA or Gliders can't certify with drivers license. Wish I could appreciate you comments Scotty

Last edited:
1) Of course there's a list of disqualifying conditions for a medical. Where the confusion lies is there is no "list" for a Sport Pilot with a driver's license* - it's up to him or her to determine that he or she has no condition that would affect the safety of a flight, and that's much more subjective.

2) I believe what you have is a "stent", not a "stint".

*As long as a medical has never been denied nor revoked.
Thanks , I never could spell stent I've got it Scotty as to 1) I agree there might not be a list but fly , have an accident with things on the list and the FAA and Insurance company might not agree...I can't take the chance from all I have read.

Scotty, I don't believe the LSA "revoked or denied" catch-22 applies to gliders. So that is still an option that is open to you. So is part 103.

Scotty, I don't believe the LSA "revoked or denied" catch-22 applies to gliders. So that is still an option that is open to you. So is part 103.
AZURE, thanks for you reply ....I've checked with 2 glider clubs in AZ and the paperwork your sign would scare me... as for 103 my last 7000+ hours has been in Jet aircraft the thought of flying an airplane that has to have an empty weight of 254#,not more than 5 gallons of fuel , max of 55 kts CAS , and stall speed not to exceed 24 kts would scare the H___ out of me. If I could fly , I'll call them , regular ultra-lites I would looking them...Scotty

If you po the mods it is right?
88, thanks for the comment ....IF YOU HAVE IT ....DON'T LET IT GO . THAT WAS THE TOPIC. I do appreciate all the help.,,,,,, I should have made a thread for 'can any one tell me how to reinstate my instructor rating' without a medical..PS I love my pink panties, they fit nicely. Scotty

Last edited:
Nate. thank you for you beautiful response, you prove we all care..My stint would be an easy fix but other problems I've had would make the paper work near impossible. Even if I could get medical back going through the reinstatement process would not be worth it financially . I'm sad to say there is not much GA flying down here. Scotty

Sorry to hear that Scotty. I flew with an old instructor who couldn't hold a medical for some mountain flying stuff. Guy had forgotten more about mountain flying than most (not all) of the local medically qualified instructors. He passed on from his heart condition many years after those flights. Never endangered a soul. Always flew with qualified pilots. Sorry you got caught by the bureaucracy.

I'd have ya join me in my airplane any day of the week and I'd even pretend not to be PIC as long as you didn't slump over. Ha.

I hope the younger folks are reading and thinking they should keep an eye out for not just the kids hanging on the airport fence with their parents in tow, but also any old guys with a gleam in the eye, watching from their old car, who look like they're stuck on the ground, and offer 'em a ride.

They might learn something in the process.

I hope you find someone who wouldn't mind some company on cross countries or local hamburger runs to go flying with, too.

Is having one's panties in a twist a disqualifying condition?

I love my pink panties, they fit nicely.

LOL!

Sorry to hear that Scotty. I flew with an old instructor who couldn't hold a medical for some mountain flying stuff. Guy had forgotten more about mountain flying than most (not all) of the local medically qualified instructors. He passed on from his heart condition many years after those flights. Never endangered a soul. Always flew with qualified pilots. Sorry you got caught by the bureaucracy.
Bruce was one of a kind. All were saddened at his passing.

Bruce was one of a kind. All were saddened at his passing.

He could also be a huge PITA. Hahaha. And all who knew him would agree. :)

It was just part of his personality.

I don't think I've ever met someone with a more disorganized office than his, ever. It was a borderline "Hoarders" episode waiting to be filmed.

He was also directly responsible for the closure of one of the best flight clubs I was ever a member of, but I didn't hold it against him. Airport bylaws were written badly and he used them to his advantage. The club ran out of fight before he did, mostly. LOL.

He could also be a huge PITA. Hahaha. And all who knew him would agree. :)

It was just part of his personality.

I don't think I've ever met someone with a more disorganized office than his, ever. It was a borderline "Hoarders" episode waiting to be filmed.

He was also directly responsible for the closure of one of the best flight clubs I was ever a member of, but I didn't hold it against him. Airport bylaws were written badly and he used them to his advantage. The club ran out of fight before he did, mostly. LOL.
No one would disagree with a word you just said :)

Who the eff are you calling kitten?! I eat kittens for breakfast, lunch , dinner and every snack in between!

:mad3:

Freakin 'bama boys. :incazzato:

Yuk, eat cats? Aren't kittens composed mostly of tuna, cat food? So are they considered a fish then? Whatya got against red meat, like steak?

Yuk, eat cats? Aren't kittens composed mostly of tuna, cat food? So are they considered a fish then? Whatya got against red meat, like steak?

Well, I was told by the doc to eat more omega-3 fatty acids and less red meat. You got issues with that?

Back