Do I have a shot at being a Professional Pilot

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone and a big thank you for this forum and Dr. Bruce for his work.

I've been thinking about learning to fly with the hopes of being a frieght pilot for a local company. However, I'm not sure with my medical history this would be possible.

I take two medications daily and think they would disqualify me.

Paxil 40mg qd (for an anxiety disorder never depression)
Atenalol 50mg qd (helps with PVCs which used to trigger anxiety)

Thanks

Med certification aside the ROI for a freight job is out of the stratosphere, via China.

For the original unreg...

Not a doctor's opinion, but a layman's question, is there any chance, through appropriate therapy, of addressing the underlying causes of the anxiety with the goal of no longer needing the medications?

While it might be a long and possible expensive journey, it will be a positive step

For the original unreg...

Not a doctor's opinion, but a layman's question, is there any chance, through appropriate therapy, of addressing the underlying causes of the anxiety with the goal of no longer needing the medications?

While it might be a long and possible expensive journey, it will be a positive step

Honestly I've been down that road and what I've found (from research and talking to doctors etc.) it is seems to be a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes anxiety - when not directly related to a trauma, etc.

Thanks for the reply tho.

See a Dr that does FAA medicals.
Even if you can fly with those meds, I wouldn't hire anyone on them.

See a Dr that does FAA medicals.
Even if you can fly with those meds, I wouldn't hire anyone on them.

That seems a little narrow minded...but ignorance is rampant.

To the OP Dr. Bruce I know has done a lot of work on SSRI use with pilots, so he's your best bet.
I'd say don't lose hope and do EXACTLY what he says.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Honestly I've been down that road and what I've found (from research and talking to doctors etc.) it is seems to be a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes anxiety - when not directly related to a trauma, etc.

Thanks for the reply tho.

Then contacting and contracting directly with Dr. Bruce might be your best choice of action. In public forums like this, he correctly throttles back on what he can say. But once you establish the patient-doctor connection privately, you will get all the guidance and straight talk you want/need.

Why don't you take a couple of lessons and see how it goes anxiety-wise ?

With respect, I think Unreg #1 is more concerned about the fact that he is taking an SSRI that might jeopardize his ability to obtain a medical certificate, and is doing his homework ahead of spending money on lessons.

Read the SI for SSRI- it was not setup for anxiety disorders. Though they "encourage" application for different disorders, I have never heard that a single Anxiety disorder underlying diagnosis has ever been approved. We have aboru seventy airmen flying under this SI.

See pg 13 o4 14 under "diagnoses".

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back