Do airlines I apply to work at see/ask if I previously was substance dependent?

seth19man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kali
I have a history of taking Prozac and Adderall. Say I hypothetically pass all the expensive testing and get my first class medical. When I apply to airline jobs, will they ask/see that I previously took these medications? Or are they only concerned if I have my first class medical? I’m worried that if they do ask, it’ll negatively affect my chances of being hired anywhere.

Nope, all they care about is your having your 1st class. Be sure you get that before you spend money on flight training, if being a professional pilot is your goal.

It's important to prep for the interview. As an example, Bill Murray's starts about :52 in this clip:

I have a history of taking Prozac and Adderall. Say I hypothetically pass all the expensive testing and get my first class medical. When I apply to airline jobs, will they ask/see that I previously took these medications? Or are they only concerned if I have my first class medical? I’m worried that if they do ask, it’ll negatively affect my chances of being hired anywhere.

All they care about is if you meet the criteria to hold a first class medical. I'd be very surprised if they asked questions about your specific medical history considering all the employment law landmines that exist.

Not sure if your Prozac and Adderall use was prescribed, or if you obtained the drugs without a prescription. Keep in mind the term "substance dependent" carries a connotation that use of the substance was either not prescribed or excessive use of a legal substance resulting in physical dependence on that substance. I understand it's completely possible that you were prescribed those drugs and dependent on them for healthy functioning and not abusing them.

My point is, I would be very selective about my audience when describing myself as "substance dependent" due to a lot of misunderstanding around abuse vs dependence and healthy vs unhealthy states of substance dependence. It could cause people to assume things about your situation.

To get a first class, you may have to lie. That is not recommended.

Under Americans Disability Act it is illegal for an employer to ask medical questions at an interview.

Under Americans Disability Act it is illegal for an employer to ask medical questions at an interview.
Illicit drug use is not covered; it's rather difficult to tell if that's what the OP is getting at.

In the United States, it’s illegal to ask about use of prescription drugs, because that could reveal private health information. It’s also illegal to ask about past use of illegal drugs, because that could reveal addiction, which is protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). However, those who are currently using illegal drugs are excluded from coverage under ADA, so employers can legally ask if you’re currently using illegal drugs.

In the United States, it’s illegal to ask about use of prescription drugs, because that could reveal private health information. It’s also illegal to ask about past use of illegal drugs, because that could reveal addiction, which is protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). However, those who are currently using illegal drugs are excluded from coverage under ADA, so employers can legally ask if you’re currently using illegal drugs.
I don't believe that is correct; I believe that you can ask an applicant if they've ever used illicit drugs. (Just looked it up, you can, but there is, as usual, a stupid finesse to everything.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back