Dizziness and Nausea, Viral Infection of Inner Ear

D

Diz

I recently went to urgent care for dizziness and nausea that lasted for 2 days. By the 3rd day, the dizziness had passed. But, I still did not feel I could trust myself to drive or go to work. On the 4th day, I returned to work, and have not had any more dizziness. The provider I saw did a couple of clinical tests and said that it was not anything serious and was most likely a viral infection of the inner ear and that it would resolve on its own.

I'm over 50 and have once had a 3rd class medical deferred because I had a arthroscopic procedure for a knee injury, Even though I demonstrated to the AME that I had recovered with full range of motion. This resulted in about 6 months of very frustrating back and forth. So, now I'll be coming due for another medical and I'm worried about what to expect. Will this get deferred because I reported a dizzy spell? Will I have to undergo some sort of neurological testing to prove I'm safe to fly?

You didn't go to the AME for your viral/dizzy episode did you? If not then the AME will have no record of that visit. Personally I'd consider it irrelevant and it would go without mention of any type.

I'm still recovering from the flu and didn't fly many days during that time. I was dizzy with ringing ears and fatigue for several days.

A little common sense goes a long ways here. No reason to mention isolated common issues like that.

You didn't go to the AME for your viral/dizzy episode did you? If not then the AME will have no record of that visit. Personally I'd consider it irrelevant and it would go without mention of any type.

I'm still recovering from the flu and didn't fly many days during that time. I was dizzy with ringing ears and fatigue for several days.

A little common sense goes a long ways here. No reason to mention isolated common issues like that.

good advice!

The AME may not have a record of it, but he would have to report the visit to urgent care on the 8500-8 (assuming it's within the last 3 years when applying for his next medical). I also don't know how he could ever check "No" to question 18.b. (Dizziness or fainting spell) without outright lying. If he does lie, I'm sure there is an insurance record of his urgent care visit and maybe a diagnosis code.

OP, have you looked into BasicMed? It might make your life a lot easier.

Although I now notice that the response before mine was from an AME so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Feb xx, 2017 Ergent Care, Dr. My Doc, MD (reason) Flu.

18b. No ...... I've experienced dizziness, occasionally, on New Years Eve and never reported it on my exam. Ever spin around until you got dizzy? No report necessary for that either. Flu should be no different. Seems like a non-issue to me.

I think AME's should have to read some slightly amended version of the "miranda rights" prior to filling out paperwork for your medical. "Anything you say or do can be used against you... You have the right (and are recommended) to remain silent (using some common sense).

During my first 3rd class medical exam during PPL I almost caused trouble for myself and had no clue! I answered Yes to the question regarding passing out... My AME came in and quickly went down to that question... I kinda laughed off the answer as explained that I had a fear of needles and pretty much had to lay down to get a shot or blood draw of any type (ironic since I handle needle with my day job). He scolded the crap out of me and said I should have consulted with him before checking yes on any block of that form. Since receiving needle pokes was not something I'd ever do while piloting an aircraft he said that I was checking Yes for purely trivial stuff and was NOT worthy of noting. He made some thorough notes and off I went with my medical.

Here's the part that gets me about these things. At any time, some capricious bureaucrat may get ahold of some new technology that compares FAA 8500-8 forms via MedExpress, and some kind of online EHR tracking scheme, and viola'! -----
-NOTICE-

Whoever in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or who makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations, or entry, may be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. (18 US Code Secs. 1001;3571)

I wouldn't get too bogged down in details of every doctor visit. But, some of the questions on that form are downright scary!

Why not this:

... dizziness. Associated with cold and flu - doctor visit identified in xx above, date yy. cleared in 2 days no recurrence.

This way you are not committing perjury - I think thats pretty important.

This is why I dislike the new procedure where you fill out the form on Medex before seeing the Doc. The old way was better as you could ask the Doc about how to answer it before filling it out and it was sent in. Of course the Doc now is the only one who can change the info on the form, so at least there's that I suppose.

If after 90 days, it does not recur, get a letter from your family doc giving the history and noting that it has not recurred in 90 days. That is MANIFESTLY a vrial labyrinthitis, resolved. Start flying and bring the note with you to your next medical.

BC.

I recently went to urgent care for dizziness and nausea that lasted for 2 days. By the 3rd day, the dizziness had passed. But, I still did not feel I could trust myself to drive or go to work. On the 4th day, I returned to work, and have not had any more dizziness. The provider I saw did a couple of clinical tests and said that it was not anything serious and was most likely a viral infection of the inner ear and that it would resolve on its own.

I'm over 50 and have once had a 3rd class medical deferred because I had a arthroscopic procedure for a knee injury, Even though I demonstrated to the AME that I had recovered with full range of motion. This resulted in about 6 months of very frustrating back and forth. So, now I'll be coming due for another medical and I'm worried about what to expect. Will this get deferred because I reported a dizzy spell? Will I have to undergo some sort of neurological testing to prove I'm safe to fly?

Strange...I've had arthroscopic in each knee (medial and lateral meniscus). Reported it, no one ever said anything about it. Don't think anyone cared, it's so common around here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back